Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,965

    Verizon and Yipes

    One of the datacenters I was looking at mentioned they have Yipes and Verizon.

    If you have to choose between these two who would you pick? and why?
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    One of the datacenters I was looking at mentioned they have Yipes and Verizon.

    If you have to choose between these two who would you pick? and why?
    Yipes has different connectivity in different markets, so it's tough to answer that question - however, I'd say you're better off being multihomed via yipes than singlehomed to uunet as long as they have a couple of decent providers.

    What market would this be in?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    939
    Keep in mind Yipes is just a Level 3 reseller (and may have been purchased by Level 3, I don't feel like looking it up). Yipes should be substantially cheaper. If cost is not an issue go Verizon, if it is then go Yipes. Both will do you good.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

    www.togglebox.com

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseOne View Post
    Keep in mind Yipes is just a Level 3 reseller (and may have been purchased by Level 3, I don't feel like looking it up). Yipes should be substantially cheaper. If cost is not an issue go Verizon, if it is then go Yipes. Both will do you good.
    They were bought by FLAG - and they did/do have layer3 gear in a few cities which were multihomed (though, level3 was/is a constant).

  5. #5
    Flag payed 300 Million for them and is pledging another 300 million in infrastructure development. You may see some decent international routes from them as the integration occurs. Multi home is always best but if I had to choose, hands down you will get better routes from AS701

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by cacheflymatt View Post
    Yipes has different connectivity in different markets, so it's tough to answer that question - however, I'd say you're better off being multihomed via yipes than singlehomed to uunet as long as they have a couple of decent providers.

    What market would this be in?
    this would be in NYC.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWiseOne View Post
    Keep in mind Yipes is just a Level 3 reseller (and may have been purchased by Level 3, I don't feel like looking it up). Yipes should be substantially cheaper. If cost is not an issue go Verizon, if it is then go Yipes. Both will do you good.
    I think they were purchased by Relianceglobalcom.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bharat
    Posts
    155
    Both Yipes and Flag are owned by Reliance Globalcom.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    391
    Yipes I think still sends most of their traffic locally to their upstream providers, as they really don't have a nationwide IP network yet/still

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by colokid View Post
    Flag payed 300 Million for them and is pledging another 300 million in infrastructure development. You may see some decent international routes from them as the integration occurs. Multi home is always best but if I had to choose, hands down you will get better routes from AS701
    I dont understand. You say choose a multi-homed provider, but then you say AS701 (Verizon single-homed) is the best option.

    Doesn't make sense
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

  11. #11
    I meant if you have to choose one or the other.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,965
    Ah, gotcha.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,965
    Well, they just told me AT&T is also part of the options available.

    between Verizon and AT&T, which one is better?
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    Well, they just told me AT&T is also part of the options available.

    between Verizon and AT&T, which one is better?
    AT&T, but it will likely be more costly on lower commits. But, as good as att can be with routes, it lacks in way of certain advantages such as blackhole communities. If it's not carrier direct, possibly see if you can't get a test ip on the specific networks to observe which will suit your hosting requirements the best.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •