A host that doesnt suck

Hey guys,

I am currently being hosted at dedicatedplace.com , During my time there my server has been hacked and other attacks have taken place. At one point for a long time my server went down every day and actually is currently down right now. This has seriously affected my traffic stream and I'm sure has cost me new visitors and return visits.

What I was wondering is do you know of a high quality web host that can offer me similar quality hosting for around $130/month i don't remember the details about the server and i cant access it because there site is currently down (haha).

So without self promoting I would love to know a reliable dedicated server with fast support (that I never have to use to complain about my site being down) that has been around for a while I don't care if I am paying for a brand name company if its reliable. With cpanel and whm and a decent up time considering the amount of time the company has been around.

What do you guys think?

What kind of support are you looking for? If your server was previously hacked, then I'm going to assume you would like a managed provider to prevent that from recurring?

Without knowing the specifications of your current server or the traffic you'd expect, it's impossible to say whether $130 per month is a reasonable budget. I would agree with Pat that you need a managed server, from the description of your problem.
    UD Network Solutions
    http://udns.us

I think that if you want to check the offers section of WHT your can quite a few hosting companies that make it a policy to 'not suck'

To ensure you don't get hacked, I'd recommend a management plan that you can get in the $30-$40 range. The hardware and OS/control panel price may adjust the price a bit, but $130 will get you on with a decent host. Focus on hosts that have been in the business for many years and preferably own their own and control the datacenter. Don't be unhappy with your host, just go give someone else a chance. i hope your opinion of other hosts aren't too affected by how this host treated you as a customer. Good luck with it all.
    Last edited by dspkable; 04-09-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Add some well wishes.
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

If you're on an self-managed box - then it isn't your host's fault that you were hacked. Just keep that in mind.

Well I understand the host is not responsible for stopping attacks but I contacted them for help and all they said was that I should solve it or my server will be terminated. Then when things were happening to my server like it was crashing they told me that the load times were fine and they never took the time to solve it.

All in all their support was fast but it was a weak effort at best when it came to solving and getting to the root of my server problem. All they did was restart the server so it worked and it was only a matter of time till it was down again.

* I'd like to second that.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Mami View Post
    If you're on an self-managed box - then it isn't your host's fault that you were hacked. Just keep that in mind.
    I think that is one of the major problems people have when they move from a shared or reseller environment to a dedicated or VPS environment. I would check out TouchSupport.com, AdminGeekz.com or some other company like that.

As far as dedicated providers that I personally know of that provide good managed (*for managed servers) support, you might want to check out Rackspace . Maybe you should look at a managed VPS solution with Zone.net or WiredTree.com.

Picking a managed provider depends on the application you are going to run. If you are going to run a PHP/LAMP stack based application you can't go wrong with any of the providers if you are going to run a Ruby on Rails, Django, or Java app you might want to check out RackSpace or Zone.net.

Just my two cents.

Yeah but....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidHorne View Post
    All they did was restart the server so it worked and it was only a matter of time till it was down again.
    That is all they are required to do. When you buy an unmanaged box you are essentially stating that you are capable or someone that you hire (eg. server admin company) is capable of keeping it secure.

A lot of companies can fit this description, but unless you have some kind of managed support, the companies are not obligated to assist you, unless you want to pay them a hourly fee.

Your ebst bet would be to find a company that great uptime, or go around to a few companies. Even a Reseller can be great for you, because they can have value addons like Anti Virus software and etc. Plus usualy rEsellers pick data centers that already have great uptime, and thy can manage most operations themshelves.

So lookfor either a DC or Reseller (dont go with a Reseller of a Reseller, as thts trouble). Looks at our offers forum, and just start trying to pick people out.