How to start an online retail company?

A friend of mine and I were thinking of opening up a online retail company for our local market here in the United Arab Emirates. No specific category of products that we are willing to sell. Any suggestions are accepted.

The question here exactly is, 'How do we start a company like amazon.com? (For example)' What does it take to start selling online products, and how we get in contact with all the dealers, import their products and sell them over an online retails store.

Our main worry is getting starting with the business part, however we are confident with the online part.

Regarding the cost of starting a business like this, we are prepared for whatever costs are needed, our budget is open.

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

I don't have any experienced with dealing with distributors like that. I would suggest though, that you start off with affiliate links. It's not quite what you're looking at doing, but it might be a good way of stepping in to it, and doing things like search engine optimization (in general, build traffic) while generating revenue, but not diving too deep in.

Just a suggestion, though might not work so well being in UAE. I know there are distributors like MaLabs.com for wholesaling computer parts, but I'm not sure for general items.

Goodluck!

Zak
    CEO of SingleHop
      0 Not allowed!

First decide how you'll do inventory fulfillment. It's usually either drop-shipped directly from the distributor to the customer, or you need to run a warehouse and maintain inventory.
      0 Not allowed!

I want to outline a few important points that are worth considering before starting this endeavor of yours.

First off, you will have to design a professional looking site, a website that sells and instills confidence in your customers.

Then you will most probably get to the hosting point. You will have to decide very carefully and choose the company you will host your company with. Some of the key points that you will have to think about are as follows:

you have to make sure that the servers are secure and that you will have a quality uptime provided, Private CGI-BIN - this is very important for payment processing and shopping cart management, web logs and web statistics are also important for your online business, and let's not forget about the customer support

You will probably reach to the point of choosing a shopping cart. If you are selling several products then having a shopping cart on your site is a good idea. You could either buy a shopping cart software program or hire a programmer to write it for you.
      0 Not allowed!

get a decent shared hosting account, get oscommerce, get a template (or get a visual design made and get it templated into the installation), set up the store, upload your products, get an online payment processor and start selling.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    get a decent shared hosting account, get oscommerce, get a template (or get a visual design made and get it templated into the installation), set up the store, upload your products, get an online payment processor and start selling.
    I have done this same thing more times then I want people to know minus your part of the world. It is harder then above but still extremely easy, remember the above is the online part to me easier than the business planning part (can lose many months or years in this).

Short version for business planning:

Know you potential audience
    Learn to sell them
    Find a product to sell
    Present the product uniquely (increases profit think like apple -iPod was nothing different Apple just knows audience and sells them)
    Stay focused don't try to be everybody and everything

Lastly just remember at the end of the day a sale is a sale and you are just 2 friends having fun while being different not curing Cancer...make some money and best of luck.

Gene
    My life: Business mentor & Full-stack JavaScript developer.

My Job: Coding applications, selling said applications and investing in the potential of others; what is yours?
      0 Not allowed!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SeRiaLKiLLa View Post
    A friend of mine and I were thinking of opening up a online retail company for our local market here in the United Arab Emirates. No specific category of products that we are willing to sell. Any suggestions are accepted.

The question here exactly is, 'How do we start a company like amazon.com? (For example)' What does it take to start selling online products, and how we get in contact with all the dealers, import their products and sell them over an online retails store.

Our main worry is getting starting with the business part, however we are confident with the online part.

Regarding the cost of starting a business like this, we are prepared for whatever costs are needed, our budget is open.

Thanks
    See my above quote for the business planning piece but after reading your comment above about costs and open budget. No business planning will help because no budget can ever be truely open and nobody in business is ever prepared for all costs. Keep in mind I am not looking for clients just being a mentor for free supporting a great forum; be real about your budget and respect it.

If you do not have a budget yet you can not have a business plan without a business plan you are already losing time and money; in fact you are just missing a website then you are an average large online retailer.

I would say stop plan according with the cheapest help I can think of Business Plan Pro made by PaloAlto Software. I am not an investor, employee or owner of said company but I do use and resell it to my clients for proper business planning. Be prepared to invest time but it will help to open your eyes to the difference between planning for success and no planning which is already failure...best of luck and sorry for length!
    My life: Business mentor & Full-stack JavaScript developer.

My Job: Coding applications, selling said applications and investing in the potential of others; what is yours?
      0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up my bit

1) Get a business plan
    remember selling anything online or offline has a small difference .. they ant see and feel product
    if u sell a branded product online, at 20% low price com pared to other shops, you may sell them easily ..

2) REGISTER UR COMPANY and know tax you may have to pay locally.

3) u need a good availibility and atleats a few 100 mb hosting account

4) u need to crate a online shop .. u need a skilled developer like me

thought will recommend using zencart customised for your requirement.

5) payment processor
    you either use a credit card processor available online or go for a local one

you can always go for paypal or paypal pro

6) online n offline publicity

7) deliver products and services

Quote Originally Posted by SeRiaLKiLLa View Post

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!