So how does the phenom/barcelona compare?

I haven't heard much on the new phenom chip, although I have seen a few negative reviews on performance on NewEgg. I was a little surprised to see that noone has ran the unixbench on it yet.

So how would you compare it to the Core 2 Quad? The difference in price is ~$70 between the 2.4ghz C2Q and the 2.3ghz Phenom (phenom is less).

If someone has a phenom running 64-bit, how about running a Unixbench? I ask 64-bit because 32-bit doesn't use the full potential of the processor.

I'd like to hear opinions about it, always been an AMD fan, but lately I have been leaning towards Intel.

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 is about 15% faster than the Phenom 9600 in pretty much everything I've seen. The price difference is greater than that 15%, so you can say the Phenom is a better value, though you'd need to determine your needs and the full systems specs to really determine that. The new Yorkfield Intel Quads are out now though as well, which are a touch faster than the Q6600, etc.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Not done any benchmarks, but they run cool and damn they are fast when paired up with plenty of memory.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

4. Opteron Barcelona vs Xeon Harpertown:
    http://it.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3162
    for 64-bit mySQL, Barcelona 2.5Ghz beats Harpertown 3.0G! even Opteron 2350 (quad 2G cores; ~$250) performs pretty close to Xeon E5472 (quad 3.0G cores; ~$1100). I would take Opteron 2350 anytime! especially on high-RAM configuration, the power saving along (DDR2 vs FBDIMM) definitely should put Barcelona platform in serious consideration for anyone!

there are still no server-class boards from SM/Tyan yet for 1-way Phenom chip! thus, you can only install Phenom on low-end desktop board for budget server.

Erm... we're running Phenoms in Tyan boards in the GT20 chassis. Granted, it's on a BETA bios, but they seem to run without issue.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Opteron Barcelona vs Xeon Harpertown:
    for 64-bit mySQL, Barcelona 2.5Ghz beats Harpertown 3.0G! even Opteron 2350 (quad 2G cores; ~$250) performs pretty close to Xeon E5472 (quad 3.0G cores; ~$1100). I would take Opteron 2350 anytime! especially on high-RAM configuration, the power saving along (DDR2 vs FBDIMM) definitely should put Barcelona platform in serious consideration for anyone!
    Thanks, that was some good reading. It's a toss up between Intel and AMD, I like the idea of the L3 cache, but do they have enough L2?

I wish I had more to look at, MySQL 5.1 is looking great.

nForce Pro 3400 from memory.

8. Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Thanks, that was some good reading. It's a toss up between Intel and AMD, I like the idea of the L3 cache, but do they have enough L2?

I wish I had more to look at, MySQL 5.1 is looking great.
    again, power consumption should play a big role in anyone's decision! for 16G RAM (8x 2G) configuration, barcelona platform will use almost 1amp/110v less!

Are there any budget boards which take the Opteron 2350? Or is it the higher level Tyan/SM boards atm? Can they be run in Dual Quads..

-Chris

10. for any opteron socket F CPU, only "server" boards are available and they won;t be "cheap"! however, Tyan S3970G2NU (single socket F) or S3970G2NR (dual Socket F) are not bad at all, cost wise! both come with 8x DDR2 DIMMS (ECC registered) and Intel dual Gb NICs.

supermicro H8DME-2 (dual socket F; low $300) is also not bad either, considering it comes with 16x DDR2 DIMMS for 64-Gig RAM max.

Is there a major power saving? I am currently just started to use a Dual, Quad E5410 with 8GB FB Ram and 3 SATA HDs... Its pulling around 0.7 to 0.75 amp @ 230v.

I am always looking for lower power usage solutions so they sound good. Do they need ECC Ram or does Non ECC stuff work in the dual opterons as well?

-Chris

supermicro H8DME-2 (dual socket F; low $300) is also not bad either, considering it comes with 16x DDR2 DIMMS for 64-Gig RAM max.
    I see that board is only 1000mhz HT though, will that cause the barcelona to not perform at it's full potential?

Opteron Barcelona vs Xeon Harpertown:

there are still no server-class boards from SM/Tyan yet for 1-way Phenom chip! thus, you can only install Phenom on low-end desktop board for budget server.
    It wins in MySQL because it is a non-release version of MySQL, though I am personally excited to see MySQL 5.1 coming around the corner. Any current release versions you'll see them neck-to-neck or the Harpertown with a slight advantage. Also, the Opteron in that benchmark is $1200+ IF you can find it and an E5472 is readily available in the $1100 range.

I do agree though, for the most part, AMD has re-entered the value equation again when evaluating processors.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Well, it's a MySQL version that actually utilizes the four-cores as compared to the versions before that had trouble scaling two.

As far as I can see, the only reason the 2360 is so expensive is because it's limited availability. The opterons price per clock looks to be cheaper than the Xeons are you go down.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Well, it's a MySQL version that actually utilizes the four-cores as compared to the versions before that had trouble scaling two.

As far as I can see, the only reason the 2360 is so expensive is because it's limited availability. The Opterons price per clock looks to be cheaper than the Xeons are you go down.
    If you actually go price per clock AMD is more expensive across the board, but I doubt you want to be comparing the actual clock speed. If you do performance to cost they seem to be neck and neck.