RaQ3 memory upgrade...

I'd like to upgrade my RaQ3 from 128Mb to 256Mb or more. First, where is a good place to buy memory for this box? Second, what type of memory am I looking for? Third, any installation issues I need to be aware of?

Thank you,
    Andre

Do you rent this box from a company such as RackShack or is this your own box you have at home or something? If you rent it from a company like RS, they will be able to do the upgrade for you.
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

I own the box.

If you're big into name-brand items, the easiest place to purchase memory is http://www.crucial.com - just choose Cobalt Raq3 from their menus.

Otherwise, the type of memory that you are looking for is PC100 SDRAM. You can find 128MB chips as low as $15 on http://www.pricewatch.com

Hope that helps.

--
    Andrew Auderieth
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-27-2002 at 10:30 PM.

Hi Andre,

Per my earlier PM to you, go with Crucial. Cheap chips will invariably lead to endless frustrations down the road - inconsistent problems, unreproducible errors, etc.

GO WITH CRUCIAL.

Brandon

Has anyone successfully installed more than 512 MB of RAM into a Raq 3? 1 GB maybe?
    Rich D.
    EBS

Not into a RaQ3. There is one host saying they regularly install 1GB into RaQ4's (so it SHOULD work with RaQ3's, unless there's a BIOS issue) but my contacts at Sun *insist* there will be problems... so no, I've never personally done it. I'd be interested in your experiences if you are able to make it work. I've got a couple dozen RaQ3's on hand, so if mods are required, I'll sacrifice one for the effort...

Thanks!

Brandon