hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Programming Discussion : Perl

Forum Jump

Perl

Reply Post New Thread In Programming Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2002, 12:01 PM
Web Hosting Master

Perl

Where is the perl board
IMHO ASP and PHP are perl wanna-bes

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2002, 12:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

Re: Perl

Quote:
Originally posted by MaB
Where is the perl board
IMHO ASP and PHP are perl wanna-bes
Silly thing to say about wannabes...but if we are going to have a php board, guess it should be in the cards to have a perl board...then if we have a perl board, we might want to think about a python board...I think this opens up an unnecessary can of worms.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Web Hosting Master

So why should PHP be treated so special. Perl was around way before php and is much better for sys-admining - imho

Python isnt a common language (atleast not as common as perl or php) - PHP doesnt really help run businesses, i dont think you can write a php script and run it from the command line to help you do many jobs at once (or can you?) but i've done this countless times in perl that have saved me hours of work..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Web Hosting Master

pS - to any on-lookers, no, neither of us have anything better to do

Old 08-20-2002, 12:17 PM
Web Hosting Master

So, it's a slow morning...lol

Old 08-20-2002, 12:53 PM
WHT Addict

Wouldn't a programming forum with subsections like php, .net, perl, .net etc. be better than just php ?

Old 08-20-2002, 01:45 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by MaB
So why should PHP be treated so special. Perl was around way before php and is much better for sys-admining - imho
Maybe because the forum moderators IMHO is that PHP is a more needed subject and warrants more of a need for a forum???

Old 08-20-2002, 03:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

I can give you several reasons why PHP is not even close to a Perl clone. Besides that PHP is much younger and yet just as powerful (if not MORE) then Perl, so that has to say something.

Everyone has opinions, however, PHP is still one of the fastest growing server-side languages there are, and is on Perl's heels as number 1 (though, as I said in another post, it's not there yet).

Furthermore, I agree with Chaps, I see very little interest in Perl related questions on this board, whereas I see many questions regarding PHP.

Old 08-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Web Hosting Master

Talking

never said clone, said wannabe

and PHP is not as useful in running a server as perl is... when was teh last time you used/wrote a php script to help you automate functions from the command line?

Old 08-20-2002, 03:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

Actually we are working on a open-source control panel that does just that. Your comparing SuEXEC or SUDO + Perl against PHP, that is kind of unfair considering SuEXEC works just find with PHP or Perl.

Command line functions are just command line functions, are you trying to say it's harder to use PHP's exec() command then it is to use Perl's equivelent?

Old 08-20-2002, 03:38 PM
Web Hosting Master

And as someone pointed out in another thread, php has hardly nothing to do with hosting (except mabey some CPs might use that as a back end, but then others use perl and html as well)... perl has alot more to do with hosting than php

Im not anti php, just pro-perl I still think there should be a programming board where both php and perl can live together in peace. (The end)

Old 08-20-2002, 03:40 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by comphosting
Actually we are working on a open-source control panel that does just that. Your comparing SuEXEC or SUDO + Perl against PHP, that is kind of unfair considering SuEXEC works just find with PHP or Perl.

Command line functions are just command line functions, are you trying to say it's harder to use PHP's exec() command then it is to use Perl's equivelent?
Your making a control panel in php, so there are many cps in perl -in fact, there are more in perl and html. Where is the perl and hmtl forum. I can point you to hundreds of command line perl scripts that help hosting and how it has helped me and others, im not saying you cant do that in php but im saying people dont (in largen umbers)... php does not have that much to do with a hosting board atleast not as much as perl

Old 08-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

Again I disagree. Your making an assumption on an entire industry just because scripts in Perl are available now. Perl has been around longer then PHP so obviously there are going to be more programs available. Not to mention there are at least 4 cps I can think of written in PHP (though none fully stable). WebCP being the best example I can think of, which is actually coming along quite well.

Old 08-20-2002, 03:57 PM
Web Hosting Master

either way, why should a language thats not even mainstream in the hosting biz be given a forum while a lanaguage/languages that are already in wide use in the hosting biz are not given one?

anyway, this is getting a little childish headsurfer - it would make people happy if you just created a programming section and put all these languages under it... (mabey you can get a link from perl.com too )

over and out

Old 08-20-2002, 04:01 PM
Web Hosting Master

PPS: Im sure im not the only one posting in this forum to rack up my post count (yes, it's sad)... raise your hand if you really care about adding a php forum and not a perl or other language forum...technical and security forum will remain the place for perl questions, no loss...

(+1 to the post count)

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Linux Malware Operation Windigo Infects 25,000 Web Servers Web Hosting News 2014-03-19 11:44:53
Admin-Ahead Server Technologies Listing 2014-09-20 20:46:21
AWS and DevOps Skills in High Demand, says Dice Web Hosting News 2013-09-11 13:42:13
cPanel & WHM Software 11.36 Reaches Stable Tier Status Web Hosting News 2013-04-09 11:44:33
cPanel Security Updates Address Perl Module Vulnerabilities Web Hosting News 2012-12-06 12:55:54