Question YAINQ (Yet Another Idiot Newbie Question)

Well, my current host is insisting I upgrade, so I've given them the go-ahead to upgrade me from a VPS to a dedicated box while I try to figure just what the hell I'm doing.

I design web sites; I don't know dick about server admin.

So... here is what they are proposing:

Dual AMD 2000, 2gb ddr, 2x80gb ide
    1500GB bandwidth (100mbps port)
    30GB off-server backup space
    Cpanel/WHM
    Tier 3 fully managed support (their highest level of support)

For $150/month no setup fee.

Seem reasonable?

Trying to put things together on my own, I came up with the following:

Management (PSM) $29
    100GB backup (rysncpalace) $15
    Cpanel ($20-25/month depending on host)

That would leave $81-86 per month for the box itself.

Do you think I can do significantly better than the box above for $85 a month?

More important question: A raid card will run me $35 extra per month, which I simply don't have available at the moment (my costs are tripling as it is). So what do I do with the second drive?

1. Interim backup space (backup nightly to 2nd drive and then weekly or monthly to off-server backup space)

2. Is there some configuration of the 2 drives other than RAID that would result in better performance, i.e., is there any benefit to a certain volume/directory being on a second drive? [The best analogy I can use is on a Windoze box, using one drive for the OS and a second physical drive for the data. Does such a thing exist in the web server world?]

I told you they were idiot questions...

Be gentle.

If you are currently happy with the level of service of your company, I wouldn't try finding a cheaper solution, as you never know what you might end up with.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Instead of getting a RAID card, I would recommend making a software raid 1 using the 2 drives and make nightly backups offsite.

This way you will have redundancy and offsite backups.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    Instead of getting a RAID card, I would recommend making a software raid 1 using the 2 drives and make nightly backups offsite.

This way you will have redundancy and offsite backups.
    Well, I'm being told by my host that you cannot do software RAID 1 on a server and that I should just use the second drive for backups.

Hmmm? I'm fairly certain you can install RAID 1 on any server with two identical drives. Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Also... Whay does your current host "insist" you upgrade? There may be good reason, but I'm curious, because this might be helpful if you are looking around.
    Shawn Bray
    Pinellas Hosting - www.pinellashosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Collocation | Webhosting | Data Backup | Domain Registration

They claim my VPS has been using 25% of the hardware resources on my node for the last 7 days. I have no way of arguing this so I have to take them at face value. I'm a little shell-shocked going from $48.50/month to $150/month, but am not sure what alternatives I have at this point...

Well, you could try to get some reports to see if you really are using that much and diagnose the problem, perhaps even fix it.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Take the deal and hardware raid. If you ever have a choice hardware raid is the way to go.

They already provide offsite backups so you should be good to go.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

To the OP - you're underpaying. I would test the "fully managed" support and see if it's for real.

Regards,

Agreed, take the deal, it's a steal for what they are providing, unless the support they provide is pretty limited and not what you expect.

Thanks for the replies. After doing some more looking around, I've decided to take the deal. I found some server deals here on WHT that might marginally shave the cost somewhat, but I have no idea what I'd be getting into supportwise.

I have an established history with my existing host, and as is often said, "better the devil you know"...

I cannot afford the hardware RAID at the moment, but may consider upgrading at some point. I'll see how performance is without it first. I would hope that going from a VPS to a dual-CPU dedicated box would offer at least some improvement in performance, but who knows...