Thread: DNS Problems

DNS Problems

Hello,

We have just moved servers, and all sites pointing to our main nameservers do not work.

The DNS has updated for the nameservers:
    [13:38] * Dns resolved ns1.zymic.com to 206.251.77.82 = new server
    [13:38] * Dns resolved ns2.zymic.com to 206.251.77.83 = new server

Yet sites such as http://rarhost.com which are using those nameservers do not resolve:

[13:41] * Dns unable to resolve rarhost.com

http://ns1.zymic.com loads up a WHM screen yet http://ns2.zymic.com doesn't, so is it a problem with this IP?

I have double checked WHM to make sure the nameservers have been setup correctly.

Our provider cannot provide support on this issue since I am unmanaged:
    I gave it a quick look and your name servers are messed up pretty good. Not sure what the problem is but it didn't jump out at me as something obvious. In the case of rarhost.com it isn't acting as an authoritative name server and gives that odd servfail error.
    I have sent email requests to a couple of admin firms but all are busy, so I would greatly appreciate your support on this issue.

Thanks in advance

Check the zone for those domains, see where the A record pointing to.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Hi,

There is no issue, it takes time to propogate all around the world, once your ISP's DNS Cache is flushed you will see it, in most cases, turning your computer off/restarting or ipconfig /flushdns will allow you to see it, if not then the DNS hasn't propogated to your end of the internet..

On another note, i see both ns1.zymic and ns2.zymic...
    Although the site dosent load, so DNS Functions > Edit DNZ Zone
    Last edited by crazor; 04-07-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Its not propagation, this has been occurring for over 3 days.

Vinsar the zones are correct, hence the correct reply from a dns lookup of those nameservers.

Check the nameservers are in the A entry for the domain, it is weird for this to happen for 3 days..

It's definitely not propogation. Here's what OpenDNS says:
    Nameserver trace for rarhost.com:

* Looking for who is responsible for root zone and followed h.root-servers.net.
    * Looking for who is responsible for com and followed i.gtld-servers.net.
    * Looking for who is responsible for rarhost.com and followed ns1.zymic.com.

Nameservers for rarhost.com:

* ns1.zymic.com returned (NORECORDS)
    * ns2.zymic.com returned (NORECORDS)
    Now, make sure of a couple of things here.

Firstly, make sure you've updated ns1 and ns2.zymic.com dns at your registrar. IE: You need to update the ip addresses and re-push them to glue.

Secondly, and it's dumb, but has to be checked. Make SURE named is actually running on this server.

If you've just moved, maybe you haven't updated the dnss for your nameservers @ your registrar?
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

I'm still sure this could be something to do with our secondary IP, http://ns2.zymic.com doesn't load yet http://ns1.zymic.com does. Is there any thing else I need to do in SSH to configure the secondary IP?

Please see attached image for registrar proof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-6.gif  

And both resolve fine, and answer for DNS ports.

This leaves dns configuration itself. make sure the configuration is actually reading those domains, sometimes CPanel likes to 'forget' things
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Please see attached image for WHM screenshot/config.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-2.gif  

Well according to my DNSReport which you, can access here, there are a few issues that need to addressed.

Looking at your WHM screen shot, and matching the IP's it seems as if your registrar has updated the root servers for your nameserver. Are you sure you have properly formated zones?

Holy crap! It was ALL to do with our email address, we used a "+" e.g. name+zserver@gmail.com

Apr 7 10:46:26 ******* named[5759]: dns_rdata_fromtext: /var/named/alex-elliott.co.uk.db:4: near 'name+zserver.gmail.com.': bad name (check-names)

:| :| :| :| :|