Cpanel for Windows

Hey All

Since cpanel is the number one control panel to use for web hosting, when the time comes for it to be avaliable on windows, will loads of people head to windows hosts?

As I could be wrong but most basic customers tend to signup to a webhost that is running cpanel so when the time comes for it to go onto windows will people still signup to cpanel even though it is on a windows system?

Joe

Hi,

Well..Some people might, but CPanel won't make many people sign up for Windows (except linux ilitrate), i for one would never use Windows for hosting, APF, and lots of other great features that work only on Linux.

One thing that makes people choose linux over windows is the fact of the 25 - 40 USD that providers charge for a windows License.

Now say, people want Windows & CPanel, you're looking at around 60 - 70 USD, just for the Licenses, then you have the Server on top..its a lose, lose situation.

id have to agree with crazor, windows hosting is more expensive than linux, i always use linux expect on my home machine where i have to use windows because of the rest of the family use it.
    i certainly wont be rushing to use windows for any of my hosting needs
    http://seedbox24.com for all your Torrentflux needs
    All our packages come with UNLIMITED bandwidth

There is a lot of advantages in choosing the platform. Windows 2008 answers most of the question, it costs because its worth enough.

crazor is right...

Cpanel IS he most popular because Linux is most popular and it does indeed get back to price.
    Linux = $0 versus Windows $20-$40

Now you can balance that cost difference with the Cpanel license and you get a functional hosting environment without the constraints of all the Windows compatibility issues and the usual "cost for software" model that Linux seems to run counter to. Most of the internet runs on Windows and most of the desktops (business and home users) run on Windows. Until that market share greatly shifts, I don't think you'll see Cpanel be a Windows control panel.

(knocks on wood)
    - Donovan K
    Want to monitor and manage your customers Windows systems by Client software, web portal, or mobile phone?
    Automated scripts, patching, and remote access too? Ask me how!

lol fair one, at least my question got answerd, so just out of intrest why do some hosts offer windows as a shared hosting package when you could just use linux?

Windows offers some things linux does not, line MSSQL and ASP.net.
    It really depends on your needs.

I choose linux over windows for web hosting, mainly because of cost , security and reliability.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

Quote Originally Posted by MKHosting View Post

I choose linux over windows for web hosting, mainly because of cost , security and reliability.
    Cost could be one thing but windows server is secure and reliable too. It depends upon how you manage things.

No loads of people will not move for 2 reasons:

1) Anyone who is not technical doesn't care if the server is Windows or not. They just care that it works and is "cheap". So why would they move unless its cheaper, because CPanel on Linux works fine? It won't be cheaper because windows is not cheaper than linux. So they won't move.

2) Anyone who is technical chose CPanel because it ran on Linux. They probably have scripts, code, cron jobs, etc already in place on Linux. Moving platforms would gain them nothing but a migration headache. So they won't move either.

The only people who will want this will be people already on a Windows platform, or people who want to develop a new site on Windows. There will be very little in the way of migrating between platforms.
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Biju View Post
    Cost could be one thing but windows server is secure and reliable too. It depends upon how you manage things.
    How can you say Windows is secure and reliable when by default NSA Had Access Built into Microsoft Windows

Apart from that it does not matter cPanel or Not, using Windows or Linux totally depends on what you want to do and how you want to do. If you or your team of developers are not familiar with Linux & Linux based technologies you will tend to use Windows & Microsoft technologies, same if your client want Linux you have to offer and work on Linux, if client want Windows you have to support Windows.

Just yesterday a client of mine said, he needs JSP and servelets running on Apache/TomCat on Linux but want to have MsSql for database, now what.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Quote Originally Posted by MKHosting View Post

LOL, like things that can be replaced with other (better) alternatives?

Cpanel is good on Linux and does not need windows.

Windows is for the newbie and Cpanel is for the linux newbie/newbie admin
    IT Support - Business Hosting & VOIP Solutions Scotland

As mentioned before the reason people pick linux isn't cpanel. It's cost or various things it offers. Similarly windows has its own exlusive things that make it worthwhile in other circumstances.

CPanel will have an excellent product when the Windows version is ready. Unlike our attempts at Windows control panels, Microsoft and CPanel actually collaborated for development.
    Jeff F
    BuyCPanel.com - Instant CPanel and VPS License Activations!
    Lowest-Priced External CPanel Licenses
    http://www.BuyCPanel.com