1. Migrating servers

Where trying to migrate customers on one of our server to another one, We lowered our TTL on our domain and ns a couple of weeks ago and managed to switch our main site over instantly will our clients experiance any downtime?,

What will be the best method for moving the sites over, i know whm has a built in transfer section, but this seems to fail for us as we have minimul disk space left

I read in another post about creating a cluster between the serer how will this help?

Hi,

You could always mount the drive in your old server (which is being used on the new one) Backup the files to there, and then put it in your new Server!

Hope this helps..

4. yes there in the same dc we could mount the drives but that would incur downtime, ive managed to transfer most the accounts over, its just tricky deciding how to get domains pointing to the new server not the old one

basically, if you're using a new IP range, you will encounter an hours downtime.
    did you add the new NS before moving the cpanel accounts? if not, backup them if theres a lot, terminate, add the nameservers (default) and then restore them, if there isnt alot then edit each DNS Zone to your nameservers.

Here's a few tip on this process:

Firstly, when moving cpanel servers, ALWAYS use the whm option. Low disk space isn't a reason not to. Clean out the drives so that they can be used. Do things one at a time if you must, but ALWAYS use whm to transfer it's own accounts.

Secondly, IF you can't use WHM to transfer it's own accounts, use the other option and restore from backup. yes, this may result in data loss, but if you do the backups properly it won't result in that much.

Thirdly, whether you move accounts from server a to server b, restore from backups, or whatever you choose, always cluster dns. This will make changes virtually instant (note: I did say virtually ). Make sure that both servers can talk to each other and that you have this enabled. This will result in an almost instantaneous transfer.

I've made dozens of server transfers for myself over the years. Everybody complains about how 'hard' it is, but believe it or not, I've never, ever noticed a bit of downtime using the methods I posted above!

HTH
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

7. i re-created the nameservers on the new server before transfer. the reason im saying low disk space is being a issue because when whm is creating the tar balls the /home partition bacomes 100%full all accounts bar 1 are on the new server ive gone through all the accounts on the old servers and put the new nameserver ips in place of the old ones and lowered the TTL to 300, im trying to cluster the servers now ive allowed the new server to acess the old server, but the old server wont cluster to the new one but it times out

That sounds like a firewall thing, check the firewall on both sides, make sure you can get into each from each other via ssh.

9. Sorry They are both in cluster now, ive set the new server to sync all changes, should i set the old server to standalone?

edit on second thought

Set the old server to update all changes, replace the nameserver ips in the dns zones to the new ips on the new server, reduce the ttl settings, terminate all accounts but keep dns zones then all should be fine?
    Last edited by orangewebhosting0net; 04-07-2008 at 11:24 AM.

This is really something you need to have your admin doing for you. WHT is good, but relying on WHT user's generosity is not. Your admin is paid to handle this, I'd suggest having them do so.

You should have both servers set to 'synchronize changes'

11. are you suggesting i should hurry up and hire you you are very good i must admit!

The way i have set them now all the sites are instantly switching over as we speak

I couldn't suggest that, really, I couldn't. It'd be against the rules. I'm saying though that you really should have a skilled admin looking over this to prevent any issues from coming up

13. Lol no self promotion allowed in these forums have a infraction.

There must be a way of mass editing zone templates