Post What would you do with a VPS?

What would you do with a vps?
    Me?

I got xen vps(s) for both business need and personal stuff.
    I run a ftp/scp backup storage and setup cron on those vps.
    Once in 3 days, the script will backup all my clients cPanel to the vps, and im in the progress of setting up a vault access, which client can download their cpanel backup at remote site.

I used to run torrent program on my personal vps. Not long after that, i got a DMCA email, forcing it to shutdown. Ahh...lesson learned. No more torrent. Now, i used my personal vps mostly for some apps testing.

I'm new to linux, not so new, but i considered my self as novice linux user. I first get to learn linux more when I first purchased a vps (cant remember which provider/ISP).It is 256MB with 25gb disk, openvz and have HyperVM. I run into problems, with lot of problem on openvz. But, based i my experienced, 256 MB of openvz vps will perform better than 256MB of xen.

So how about you?
    HostWaves.com Managed Drupal e-Commerce Hosting/Web Development Service for SMB/SME/SMI.

We just use a vps to host our help desk. So that our help desk is reachable even if the dc gets down
    WebHosting.com.bd - Web Hosting Bangladesh
    Limited Sites Per Server | cPanel | RVSiteBuilder PRO | Rapid Support | Pay-As-You-Go Reseller
    DomainDokan.com - Domain Registration Bangladesh
    Real-time Registration | Online Control Panel | Rapid Support | Turn-key Reseller

I have been thinking about that too :-)
    our billing&support software still hosted on the same server....
    maybe next month we will try that !
    HostWaves.com Managed Drupal e-Commerce Hosting/Web Development Service for SMB/SME/SMI.

Just make sure you secure it especially if you are hosting client information. A misconception of a lot of users is that a VPS is setup and go like shared hosting, however there are many things that must be done to properly secure your system.

Thanks for the info. I'am aware of that.
    I have setup and harden my iptables. for the webserver side,
    I'm still looking for an extra info such as suhosin and mod_security.

Just for my personal blog
    My Personal Sites:Oh !!!MIYU-GのDAYs
    http://www.1221.in
    MY LIFE IS COOL,SO IS MY VPS I WILL TELL YOU MORE ABOUT VPS

Quote Originally Posted by MIYU-HITORI View Post
    Just for my personal blog
    i guess your blog might be consuming alot of ram ;-)

Business purpose: I'm the seller

Just kidding. Anyway, I have a VPS for hosting my personal sites: blog & web proxy (handy for my own use).

For my personal backup purpose, I will push the files to my server with Nocster. Bandwidth there is too cheap

Cheers.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

Quote Originally Posted by michaelfoo View Post
    Business purpose: I'm the seller

Just kidding. Anyway, I have a VPS for hosting my personal sites: blog & web proxy (handy for my own use).

For my personal backup purpose, I will push the files to my server with Nocster. Bandwidth there is too cheap

Cheers.
    I think i may know you. I've seen your name in various forum sites,
    http://www.webmastermalaysia.com is one of it.

I run openvpn on my personal vps, that explain the need of xen vps. and openvpn, i use it for many purpose, and one of it is wifi security. that save me $15 per month at strongvpn.com