Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs for a dedicated gaming server?

I am looking to get a dedicated gaming server, for at least 4 32-player, 66-ticket rate Source servers. I have no idea what kind of power, port, or bandwidth I would need for a server that could handle the above, because I am just currently renting from a game-server provider. It would be only be an added benefit if it had enough power for a 25 slot vent server and web hosting.

Thanks.

Im running 4 game servers (2x 32slots and 2x 48 slots) on my

Core2Duo XEON 2.0Ghz
    4GB Ram
    2x250GB SataII HD
    2500GB on 100mbps (Level3) bandwidth.

+ 42slots TeamSpeak, 3 Websites with forums, email server, DNS and FTP

have absolutely no problems...
    Last edited by ShyGuy82; 04-06-2008 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xenu View Post
    I am looking to get a dedicated gaming server, for at least 4 32-player, 66-ticket rate Source servers. I have no idea what kind of power, port, or bandwidth I would need for a server that could handle the above, because I am just currently renting from a game-server provider. It would be only be an added benefit if it had enough power for a 25 slot vent server and web hosting.

Thanks.
    What kind of budget are you working with? Also consider you need to obtain a Vent license before you're allowed to host them on your own.

The machine ShyGuy82 is using should be ample for what you're looking for though.

I just wanted to add: make sure you get a hosting provider that has Premium Tier1 provider base (no Cogent). It's not that cogent is bad, its just it is highly oversold...you will get lots of lag on it.

Cogent cannot be used for gaming.....

I'd recommend that you find a dedicated server provider that specializes in machines for game server hosting. Take a look at ColoCrossing.com - they should be able to help you out!
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

what type of control panel are using for your Game Servers ?

If you're using Windows for an OS, I suggest TCAdmin.
    Brian F. - Operations Manager
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    PHP 5.3.X & PHP 5.4.X & PHP 5.5.X Support!

I use my own...wrote it in .NET

I'm running a MMO server, only average of 20 online though but even during peak times where it hits over 30 online with a couple guilds doing bosses, network usage and cpu barely move. Using a P4 with 2GB of ram and IDE drive. Nothing too fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy82 View Post
    Im running 4 game servers (2x 32slots and 2x 48 slots) on my

Core2Duo XEON 2.0Ghz
    4GB Ram
    2x250GB SataII HD
    2500GB on 100mbps (Level3) bandwidth.

+ 42slots TeamSpeak, 3 Websites with forums, email server, DNS and FTP

have absolutely no problems...
    hmm, are you sure it's wise to do this? I mean what if spam assassin kicks in during gaming peak hours. For sure, that would have to diminish performance.

I am running on a 2.4GHz quad xeon with 8MB Cache,
    4GB Ram (800Mhz)
    Maximum players on the servers were around 60 in mixed cs 1.6 cs source environment, the total CPU load was 10% or less.

For what you are asking, I think even a dual-core core2duo with 2Ghz+ and 2 Gigs of Ram would suit fine.

Quote Originally Posted by torqhost View Post
    hmm, are you sure it's wise to do this? I mean what if spam assassin kicks in during gaming peak hours.
    You can always disable spam assassin or restrict the number of child processes.

Well,

First off -- you won't be able to run Ventrilo on there @ 25 slots, since that's quite a bit above the maximum number of clients that can connect on the free server. You'll still need to rent your Ventrilo server from elsewhere.

Now, assuming that's Counter-Strikeource and not Team Fortress 2, I think you'll be OK with a Core 2 Duo -- though I would suggest doing a Core 2 Quad and keeping each server on it's own processor core -- especially if this is Team Fortress 2. In terms of bandwidth... if this is in the states, I'd personally recommend renting or collocating a server with a company that uses either Mzima or Internap (or both).

I'd also recommend leaving web hosting off the machine -- as someone else suggested -- if something starts running statistics, or some kind of cronjob that eats up resources for a short duration -- you could run into problems. I'd recommend just purchasing web hosting from else where -- could do that pretty cheaply.
    Brett G. ** www.darkstarllc.com
    DarkStar Communications ** Ventrilo ** Game Servers ** TeamSpeak ** Reseller Accounts

You must also factor in the event on a full load, that server will easily consume all the bandwidth unless you reduce your rates. As Brett mentioned, with cs and tf2 + the amount of servers you are planning on running, a core2duo would just about be OK but it won't be on a full load I can almost guarantee you that much. A quad would be more suitable to spread the load but again, pay attention to bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xenu View Post

Thanks.
    Do you have a preference on location? Specs vary based on the market, and specific providers that are within them.

Generally, if you're looking for a central US server, you'd want Chicago or Dallas, out west you're looking at Seattle or LA, and out east take a peak at New York/New Jersey or Atlanta.

Since you're looking for a Ventrilo greater than 8 slots in size, you will need to look to an external provider that is licensed to host Flagship's product. For excellent quality and support, you can try: www.darkstarllc.com

Lastly, in regards to the webhosting, it's advisable to pickup a small shared hosting account from that would be hosted on a separate server. It can be done on the same machine, but I would highly not recommend you doing so for a variety of reasons, including performance and security.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com