MediaLayer and private cgi-bin

Hello all!

I am in the process of building a database-driven website. The main purpose of the site is really for me to improve my PHP and MySQL, but I will be writing a forum and offer blogs to users, as well as the main point of the site, which is to allow users to upload text-based artwork (ie. stories, poems, etc). I don't expect the site to use up that much bandwidth (assuming my code is clean) or space, as I don't expect it to grow that large. Like I said, it's mainly a learning exercise.

Anyway, the point is, I am looking for a host. I am currently with DreamHost but am having a lot of trouble creating a custom php.ini (because I know absolutely no PERL and am just starting to learn shell commands). The main host I'm considering is MediaLayer. They advertise on their website that you have a private cgi-bin directory, but it was unclear whether this directory would have a private php.ini. This is pretty important for me as I don't have the skills (yet) to do anything too clever like what is required at DreamHost to change it.

Is anyone here a current or former MediaLayer customer? Is the php.ini in the cgi-bin? I know that DownTownHost have private cgi-bins, but the php-ini is not there.

I had a look on the forums but, although I found mostly good general feedback about MediaLayer, I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed the creation of a custom php.ini file.

Thank you very much in advance and I'm sorry for the long rambling post.

Etteling

PS. Any alternate hosts that might fit the bill, or any general advice about MediaLayer is also welcomed.

Hello Etteling

Do you mean Dreamhost or Downtownhost? I'm a bit confuse

Regarding to the php.ini file, you can request to your host to copy the default php.ini to your space and you modify it, or you can create your own php.ini since it's a simple text file.

Take in mind that the modifications done through php.ini are not recursive, this mean, that unless make a symbolic link or make some modifications on your .htaccess, you'll need to copy the php.ini file to all those folder where the changes are needed.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

etteling,

We allow the modification of PHP configuration via .htaccess using php_value or php_flag via .htaccess. This is recursive (inherited by sub directories) as well. If you have any further queries please contact our sales department directly (as this forum doesn't permit extended sales discussion).

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    Hello Etteling

Do you mean Dreamhost or Downtownhost? I'm a bit confuse
    Hi Jedito. Haha, I mean both. I am currently with DreamHost, but I looked into DownTownHost as an option as well. Anyway, thank you very much for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    We allow the modification of PHP configuration via .htaccess using php_value or php_flag via .htaccess. This is recursive (inherited by sub directories) as well. If you have any further queries please contact our sales department directly (as this forum doesn't permit extended sales discussion).
    Hi. Thanks for the information. I think I understand this one now, but I'll contact the sales department if I have any futher queries.

Some hosts do allow you to modify the php.ini file but that depends on their setup.
    http://www.canvasdreams.com and http://www.unitedhosting.com both allow you to change
    your own php.ini file. With them, you can have 1 php.ini file for each site you have.

Also as mentioned before, some hosts allow you to change php.ini settings using the .htaccess file.
    Charles