windows server 2003 dns help - I think

This is my first dedicated and I am plugging away at it.I am running windows server 2003 web edition and I have my database, website, and ftp setup and everything is working so far. Now if you go to 66.96.196.102 my site that I'm working on will show up. My question is my domain and site that I am in the process of moving is hosted on a shared server on 1and1. Now I need that domain to point to that ip. Do I need to set up name servers on the server? If so can someone point me in th right direction. I am just not sure what to do at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can setup a nameserver on the server, this only gives you 1 nameserver.

it is strongly advised to have two or more separate dns servers to manage those records.

i wouldnt recommend having all the services on one server, security reasons.

my suggestion is to modify the dns records with your domain registrar at least they have more than 2 dns nameservers.

start with that first and if you can afford it acquire a couple cheap servers for dns stuff.

Hope that helps

I would strongly recommend reading through this document carefully:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323380

Good luck,
    Joe
    https://ServersAndHosting.com
    Dedicated Servers | Guaranteed Hosting

Win 2003 Web Edition doesnt have a DNS server. You would have to use other DNS services to create an A record to point to your IP. '

After checking your site, I see that you're running .NET application....What you will have to do is this:

1. Create "A" record to point to your IP (there are tons of free DNS servers out there)
    2. Open IIS...create a new website...Setup your path etc...then right click on your website and select properties....
    On the Website tab where you see the IP Address textbox...click on the Advanced button...You should see Mutlitple Identities for this Website....click on Add and add 2 records...

First record:
    IP - (All Unassigned)
    TCP Port: 80
    Host Header Value: YourDomainName.com

Second record:
    IP - (All Unassigned)
    TCP Port: 80
    Host Header Value: www.YourDomainName.com

This is needed so the site will accept requests from YourDomain.com and www.YourDomainName.com

I hope this helps

Web Edition does have a DNS server, Im using one as just that
    Damien

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	12573

Well its on one of my Web 2003 boxes
    Damien

Surely W2003 Web Edition has a DNS Server

Then MS misled me from the start, thats the reason I always aimed for 2003 Std which I had to pay more for