Giving a Cat a Bath...

My wife and I got a kitten about 4 months ago and have been giving him a bath about once a month or so, trying to get him used to it while he is young and easy to handle.

Well the first time he threw a fit and I had to "Scruff" him to keep him still and wahtnot. Second time was about the same.

Tonight I gave him a bath, I put him in the water and he just sat there and hissed for like the whole 10 minutes I was giving him a bath... it was quite hilarious. Inbetween hissing he was growling - you'd think somebody was trying to kill him. What was really funny was that with all of this hissing and growling he just sat there and let me wash him, while he was voicing his opinion on how much he disliked it!

I don't know... it was just humorous and I felt like sharing it.

Here's a picture of the cat chilling under my desk lol:
    http://www.mddent.net/images/cat3.jpg
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

WHY YOU THINK THAT CAT MADE THAT SOUND??? Dumb@$$ cats hate water and putting them in it can lead to illness because you wash off a small protection film over the skin of cats.

Cats are perfectly capable of cleaning themselves. Never wondered what they're doing when in acrobatic mode? THEY LICK THEMSELVES CLEAN.

I think you're an animal molester and the kitten should be taken away from you. Now.
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela
    I think you're an animal molester and the kitten should be taken away from you. Now.
    lol. Granted, there shouldn't be any need to bathe a cat unless it has decided to jump head first in to muddy puddle of water, but animal molester? That's a bit extreme!

A simple mistake on Michael's part, that's all. The cat will get over it just fine, just like my neighbours cat did when it fell in to our pond (serves it right, it shouldn't have been licking its lips at the fish and frogs. )
    - Jamie Harrop

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    Cats are perfectly capable of cleaning themselves. Never wondered what they're doing when in acrobatic mode? THEY LICK THEMSELVES CLEAN.
    Indeed, but there are cases where a cat does have to be cleansed and what not. As for the protective film, it's actually an oil like substance primarily used to protect them from hypothermia.

(Source: A friend who is a D.V.M...)

Actually the advice to give it a gentle bath with kitten shampoo was given to us by the Vetrenarian in the event that the cat gets dirty, and to give them a bath every couple of months until they get used to being bathed so that if you need to when they become an adult you don't get clawed to death. The Vetrenarian told us all about the side effects of giving a cat a bath and to make sure to use the right shampoo specially formulated for cats and kittens and to make sure to dry the cat thoroughly afterwards etc...

And yes he was actually quite dirty as he decided to jump into the trash can and dig to the bottom... I just thought it was kind of cute but I guess I'll just keep it to myself next time.

Relax.
    Last edited by MikeDVB; 04-05-2008 at 10:37 AM.

if its any help...i used to bathe my kat whenit was a very tiny kitten, shes now all grown up and we dont bathe her any more but she now has a fabilious silky smooth coat and looks gr8 for the treatment she got in her younger days. she loved bath times hehe.

Well if you are going to acclimate a cat to getting a bath, it's best to do it when they're young you just have to not do it too often and use the correct shampoo. The vet gave me some special shampoo it was *really* expensive heh.

I remember one time our siamese cat got completely infested with flees (yes, it received the monthly flee medication), it was so ridiculously bad when I groomed it twice a day I would easily find 100+ flees so we had to give it a bath with special medication stuff... lets just say the cat didn't appreciate it lol The cat let off a siren howl the second it touch the water and didn't stop until it was dried (or rather when it was able to escape the towel and run away). It was so loud our next door neighbor heard it through her window
    I wonder if that's how old fire truck sirens worked?

We have 6 cats, and we never washed them. You should wash him only when he gets really dirty and cannot clean himself.

Some cats loves water though. My friend's cat having bath with her everyday.

As it is so clear your boy doesn't like the water, washing him often can cause some stress problems. And stress can lead some serious diseases like FLUTD
    Closed for winter...

My cat loves water. Anytime water is around, the cat is wanting to be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post
    We have 6 cats, and we never washed them. You should wash him only when he gets really dirty and cannot clean himself.

Some cats loves water though. My friend's cat having bath with her everyday.

As it is so clear your boy doesn't like the water, washing him often can cause some stress problems. And stress can lead some serious diseases like FLUTD
    Actually he loves being in water, he just doesn't like not being able to get out of it when he wants to. If I am not careful to shut the bathroom door all the way he will get in the shower with me lol.

When I was a kid we had a cat that was about half wild. My sister (the troll) decided she wanted to give this cat a bath. Not a real overly bright thing to do, as my sister got the liven day lights scratched out of her. The cat never forgave her of being treated like a drowned rat and would keep a healthy ten foot distance away from my sister at all times. Every once in a while the cat would get sick (diarrhea) and would use my sisters bed for a litter box which I think in the cat's mind was revenge for the bath. Need less to say my mother wanted to kill the cat, my sister, and me for making fun of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    The vet gave me some special shampoo it was *really* expensive.
    That's what makes it "special".

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    I think you're an animal molester
    Conjures a whole other mental image for me.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Conjures a whole other mental image for me.
    Haha okay I'm glad someone was thinking that too!

that's an awfully big kitten :O

just put it in the washing machine, i figure you can do it eight times before you are pushing your luck...
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

LOL

Yep!

Everybody knows cats have 9 lives!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    LOL

Yep!

Everybody knows cats have 9 lives!
    I wonder if you could use all nine in one hit, doing something insanely stupid...
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers

Is it an actual fact or myth that they have 9 lives? I've never knew that tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by BetaOrange View Post
    Is it an actual fact or myth that they have 9 lives? I've never knew that tbh...
    Myth.
    Probably has to do with their ability to land on their feet after a fall and survive, or their being lucky, or something of that nature.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

its a touch off topic, but hope the original poster doesn't mind this:

http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2005/...ive-falls.html

Fascinating stuff, especially what they will do studies into these days...

WOOOOOOOOW.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Myth.
    Probably has to do with their ability to land on their feet after a fall and survive, or their being lucky, or something of that nature.
    Oh so if a cat was dropped off a skyscraper , she/he will survive.

Thats soo cool !! Now all i need is a cat to test it on . I know bunnies wont survive that fall !!

My wife and I got a kitten about 4 months ago and have been giving him a bath about once a month or so, trying to get him used to it while he is young and easy to handle.

Well the first time he threw a fit and I had to "Scruff" him to keep him still and wahtnot. Second time was about the same.

Tonight I gave him a bath, I put him in the water and he just sat there and hissed for like the whole 10 minutes I was giving him a bath... it was quite hilarious. Inbetween hissing he was growling - you'd think somebody was trying to kill him. What was really funny was that with all of this hissing and growling he just sat there and let me wash him, while he was voicing his opinion on how much he disliked it!

That's a pretty massive kitten.

so it's not just me who thought it

Ah, he's still technically a "Kitten" until 9/11 of this year, but if you notice the subject line is "Giving a Cat a Bath..." He was officially a Kitten when we got him, but now he's a cat, I'd say... But still has to eat kitten food.

Talking

He was officially a Kitten when we got him, but now he's a cat, I'd say... But still has to eat kitten food.
    Oh so now ur also underfeeding your cat, like amy would say "animal molester and the kitten/cat should be taken away from you. Now. "

Good for you that you do not have a bunny, else you can be sure seeing inspector bunny at your doorstep !! Or if situation is worse, full fleshed BUNNY Attack , cause than you would be treated as Terrorist by the Bunny Jury !! Oh if you think bunnies aint got no arms training , thing again, we can take up arms to save our fella bunnymen !!

Cheers
    Last edited by Energizer Bunny; 04-05-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: forgot to scare the user !!

Ah I'm not worried about it, technically he is still a kitten, but if you look at him, you would call him a cat.

Ah well.

I don't understand why you would want to bath a cat. Cats hate water and if anyone else had been bathing him he may have made his displeasure more obvious.

I had a bath a cat once because he got beaten up by another cat and messed himself, protective gloves were a MUST.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Last edited by derek.bodner; 04-05-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Giving cats a bath is a good thing if the cat has fleas!

I've got to agree, that is one huge kitten. Even if it's just around a year old (when a kitten becomes a 'cat'?), it's still big.

My two try to take a bath with me every once in a while, it's rather amusing, they'll get up on the side of the tub, then slip and fall and run like hell.

Cats are not (by nature) water loving creatures, personally I say let 'em clean themselves, they will eventually
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

We give our cat a bath every 2-3 weeks whether he needs it or not. Keeps him acclimated to it. He likes the water, just doesnt like the soap.

Our cat absolutely LOVES water. We can't keep him out of it. Its insane. If he hears the kitchen faucet turn on, he jumps up on the countertop and tries to get in. He pretty much destroyed our Christmas tree last year - between climbing up inside of the branches and knocking everything down...we would get in the tree stand and splash around in the water. Almost ruined the floor.

He got into the crawl space of our house the other day and came out covered in dust and spiderwebs and junk. We gave him a bath and he just sat in the sink perfectly content while we sprayed him off with the faucet sprayer.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Cats are pretty clean on their own. Unless they are rolling around in crap I wouldnt do it. He is probably pissed because now when he licks himself he has to taste SOAP or whatever you used. I'd be pissed too and unhealthy if i had to eat soap.

BTW I have a Silver Bengal and they love water... she tries to get in the shower with me but is scared of the water spraying so hard.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by omitraffic View Post
    Cats are pretty clean on their own. Unless they are rolling around in crap I wouldnt do it. He is probably pissed because now when he licks himself he has to taste SOAP or whatever you used. I'd be pissed too and unhealthy if i had to eat soap.

BTW I have a Silver Bengal and they love water... she tries to get in the shower with me but is scared of the water spraying so hard.
    You should probably read the whole thread before responding friend The cat dug to the bottom of the trash can, hence needed a bath, he was absolutely disgusting.

You should probably read the whole thread before responding friend The cat dug to the bottom of the trash can, hence needed a bath, he was absolutely disgusting.
    Missing information : Was the trash can empty or full ? And was trash can sitting outside or inside house ? Was trash can actually filthy ?

DONT EVER wash your cat.

its very annoying to them and destroys their psychology. except the rare ones that like it. since your cat is growling and hissing, its a definite no to wash him. him letting you do it does not mean its ok.

cats already have antiseptic saliva. they can clean themselves way better than you can clean them. in extreme cases of dirt, get a semi wet towel and rub them with it. he'll probably like it. the rest he can do with his tongue, very well.

he's gonna be a very handsome boy btw. when he gets to age 4-5, he's gonna have a head that fits in your whole palm.

that's an awfully big kitten :O
    not as big as he's gonna be in a few years' time.