* VPS Space constraints

In a VPS package, the space designated, say 20 GB... contains all OS files, Control Panel files, and other utility files. and it will be say 25% of the space remains for data .. I mean for the /home/ folder/..

I wonder if someone has done any research on space taken by different OS's and CP's. Since for me, who cant afford to pay more to get more space, space allocated/remaind for my /home folder matters a lot lot.

Also, for example, if the the monthly/weekly/daily backup is enabled, then the space for home folder becomes almost half !!

I would like to hear any advice to choose the best combination of OS/CP and the Backup settings, to get the maximum of spaces in the homefolder, say on a VPS package of 25 GB.

Thanks.

Bg

A clean OS image on VPS would take around 300MB for CentOS 5, Fedora Core, Gentoo, OpenSUSE and around 100MB+ for Debian and uBuntu.

If you intend to use control panel, I suggest you to have allowance of another additional 2GB for LXAdmin & Directadmin while 10GB for cPanel.

For small VPS, it is better to use lightweight control panel like Lxadmin & Directadmin. Anyway, the latest cPanel VPS Optimize sounds good in the sense that very little RAM is required (http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpvps/)

If you are concerned with space usage, you can consider pulling your backup to remote rsync backuup like www.bqinternet.com

With 25GB space, it shouldn't be a problem for you to run a typical CentOS + cPanel configuration

Good luck!
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

VDS LXAdmin

A fresh install of CentOS 5 and LXAdmin uses under 3GB of disk space.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelfoo View Post
    A clean OS image on VPS would take around 300MB for CentOS 5, Fedora Core, Gentoo, OpenSUSE and around 100MB+ for Debian and uBuntu.

If you intend to use control panel, I suggest you to have allowance of another additional 2GB for LXAdmin & Directadmin while 10GB for cPanel.

For small VPS, it is better to use lightweight control panel like Lxadmin & Directadmin. Anyway, the latest cPanel VPS Optimize sounds good in the sense that very little RAM is required (http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpvps/)

If you are concerned with space usage, you can consider pulling your backup to remote rsync backuup like www.bqinternet.com

With 25GB space, it shouldn't be a problem for you to run a typical CentOS + cPanel configuration

Good luck!
    I know this is a little bit off topic, but we utilized the full potential of cPanel VPS Optimized on our test VPS servers. Soon after that, we rolled the update and instructions onto our clients I would estimate that a lot of them have updated. If you could get a chance to install CVPO on your VPS I would recommend doing it

On the other hand, what virtualization platform are you using?
    Last edited by Kody; 04-13-2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth
    VPS.NET -> Cloud Hosting. 18 Locations. Check out our website!

virtuozzo is the platform.

What I am looking for is a self-managed VPS (my data space is around 10 GB, and currently use 748MB RAM) next time (in 3 months renewal time will come) which will be less expensive for me. I wont mind paying a initial setup charge if required.

Besides, changing of a control panel, does lxadmin have an import feature from cPanel??

A typical centos + any control panel would be roughly at 1 GB+.You should have some space for logs though.I believe if you have your logrotate correctly configured you wouldnt "waste" more than 2 GB for everything that is not data.
    NOT a webhost!helping here just for the fun of it!
    G(r)eek inside.