VPS or Dedicated for my case?

Hi to all experts out there,

I am going to run an ecommerce website with a huge database (About 10GB). From the replies of my another post, I gathered that I would probably need my own MS SQL 2005 licence instead of subscribing to my host's $25 per 200MB add-on.

So now I am deciding whether to choose VPS or Dedicated.

My questions:

1. Can I install my own MS SQL 2005 in a VPS?
    2. I have no knowledge of running a server. Will this means that I should stick to VPS?

BTW, the database is not so important, so I don't need to have a very secure server.

Thanks in advance

Definitely should be looking for a manged dedicated server provider. You could check the dedicated server forum and offers for some ideas, then search here to find some reviews. I would look for one that offers Windows as a standard and explain your situation, they should be able to give you some suggestions and optimize the server for you.

I would go dedicated - even perhaps managed.
    VPS - no way

vps would leave you in a virtual place of suffering (vps) in this case.
    Typo3USA - Typo3 USA Template, Extension Development and Hosting.

PhilaNetworks.com - DataCenter Management, Hosting & Remote Hands across the Delaware Valley.

managing my own server?

thanks guys for the advice. I'll be using dedicated server then.

Regarding getting a managed server, I found that the monthly cost will be about $100.

Is managing a server myself difficult? I've got a brother who's very IT savvy and thought I might use his free service.

Well, as long as he can help you out with everything you need you could use him.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Just compare offerings of a few different web hosts and decide whether it is worth to save around $100/month for managed hosting. Having dedicated server only means you'll need to do all the admin work. This takes a lot of time.. a lot!
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

I've got a brother who's very IT savvy
    That doesn't necessarily make him a server admin though, not to mention a good one.

more work is not an issue, you can learn how to manage it, once you master all the step, that is easy for you...

i prefer dedicated too