Question Geotrust and moving hosts?

Lets say i purchased a server with Rackshack (which i did) and included was a Free Geotrust Cert.

Lets say i never installed it but have all the emails detailing the install and license

Lets say i left Rackshack and moved to a new host, never having installed/claiming it

can that be installed at the new host?

Yes

Do you own the certificate? Was there a clause that the certificate was not transferable should you leave rackshack? If it doesn't say anywhere that the certificate is non-transferable, and nowhere does it say you violate any conditions when you signed up with them, and the certificate is in your web site's name, then I can't see why you can't transfer it.

Double check everything, then when you are satisfied with the result, get someone else to check it too, just in case you missed anything

That depends on your agreement with RackShack......

If you want to talk about it offline just send me an email...

Neal

i guess the certificate is always associate with domain name and not with the server or provider you host with. you can always switch your certificate from one server to another if you have all the keys in safe place. If you haven't claimed you certificate from rackshack then it will be another story.

good luck !!
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

this is correct

I never claimed it from Rackshack because about 3 days after they were made available, i was "cut-off," so to speak

I had planned to claim it that weekend but was really forced not to in order to avoid a huge over bandwith fee.

The way i look at it, i think i should be able to claim it somehow since it was part of the Rackshack set-up fees (which were paid in full)

It was not my fault that these Geotrust certificates were not made available immediately and rackshack made me wait 3 months before i could even try and claim it

Neal, i will be contacting your company either by e-mail or phone to see what can come of all this

i will tonight

all i have here(at work) is a welcome to rackshack e-mail that had a link to fill in a form on ev1.net website that says "After May 1st, click this link, bla bla bla... to claim your Geotrust SSL Certificate"

is that good enough to do anything with?
    if it is let me know so i can at least send that now

do you all keep records of people who were granted these rights?
    as in, when i purchased my server, did rackshack send something to you saying that i am on a list to get a cert?

always keep a copy of certificate file on your floppy or workstation hdd......