Hostgator / First Impressions For The Third Time!

I've tried Hostgator a couple of times before, and decided not to fully move to them... not because there was anything "wrong" with them, but because my present hosts seemed to fit my needs well enough at the time.

But for the last few days I've been feeling the itch to try them out again and am glad I have... I think this time is "the one" and plan to stay. Here are some of the reasons:

• The hosting, in and of itself, is pretty awesome. My sites load fast (even the MySQL ones like Drupal), and direct file downloads are almost twice as fast as my "present host" (1&1).
    • The support is proving to be REALLY good.
    • I am impressed with Brent Oxley as both a human and a business leader.

So I signed up yesterday morning and went to the bathroom. By the time I got out of the bathroom my account was set up and waiting for me. I know that their system is partially automated, but also requires human input so I was very glad to see that everything was ready to rock so quickly.

Support

Throughout the day I needed to contact support a few times to get little things tweaked or sorted (for instance, I needed register_globals to be turned off for Drupal) for my setup and did so by two methods... phone and ticket.

Each of the (I think 3) phone interactions was a truly smooth pleasure... I got to a support rep within about 5 minutes each time, and the reps were able to provide me with quick and satisfying answers / solutions.

The tickets were even more impressive that I had imagined they would be... after being used to 1&1 getting back to me within a few hours (and occasionally a few too many hours), and Dreamhost (God bless their souls) usually within an hour or two, I was very pleased to see that Hostgator was getting back to me within a few minutes! Looking at my tickets right now I see:

- Contacted support at 4:01pm to get my cpanel changed to X3 and gain SSH access, had X3 and shell fully working by 4:04pm!!!!!
    -
    Contacted for another issue at 12:49am (early this morning), resolved at 12:53am
    -
    Contacted at 1:36AM for a little bit bigger of an issue, resolved at 2:21AM

Brent Oxley - The Man, The Legend!

During the evening I also had a MAJOR account change that I needed to go through with before I really got to fully getting all of my sites moved over and set up. I had already set up two, but this change required that I clean out my account and essentially get everything rebuilt / restructured on the server... I needed to change my primary domain. It was in the middle of the evening and support told me that I should allow for as much as 24 hours for this to happen.

I was really nervous about going through this wait with all of my sites already propagating over from 1&1, so I contacted Brent and asked if he had any idea how long I really should expect it to take (I figured support was giving a VERY conservative estimate), and in just a little while he let me know that he himself had done the change for me and that I was ready to rock!

Brent is really the main reason that I wanted to give my business to Hostgator. Over the last couple of years I have seen so, so many instances of Brent coming here and to his own forum to directly take care of his customers. I have never seen ANYONE from any company of any kind, especially one of Hostgator's size, take such levels of personal action in keeping customers happy... anyone who's been here for any time will know that Brent goes well out of his way to take care of anyone who's having troubles.

And if you spend any time really digging around you will find that he is one heck of a human being... I have run up on little random scraps of information about him that have left a deep impression...

The biggest for me is when I discovered that during Hostgator's first year of operations, Brent was going without a car so that he could use his profits to keep a local (to him) family in their house during a time when they were facing foreclosure. Now that's an impressive show of humanity!

I am also touched that he has fulfilled one of his mother's lifelong dreams and bought her a helicopter so that she can have her own heli business.

I am also grateful to see a man who tries his very best to give as many good jobs to as many people as he can get ahold of... and not with a mindset of paying as little as he can get away with, but actually trying to pay as well as he can.

Brent could probably have long sold Hostgator to some souless business men who would run it with a cold heart and probably outsource support to India or wherever... I applaud his apparent deep, personal love for his company rather than just seeing it as nothing but a money farm. I think he deserves to make a TON of money, and I am glad to see that the more he seems to make, the more good he seems to do... this is all too rare in this world and I wish to do my own little part and reward that type of man and business with my meager little monthly fee!

0 Not allowed!

Cheers to Brent still being on top of things at HostGator
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies
      0 Not allowed!

Glad to hear about your experience, perhaps you can update us in a few months

Keep up the good work HG team and Brent
      0 Not allowed!

Go Brent! You are an idol for all of us
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music
      0 Not allowed!

Using hostgator for the last 1 year or so . Very smooth ..had downtimes in total for less than 10 mins and the supports were fantastic. They would happily install any perl module which requires root access to install the request was completed in less than 10 mins turnover time.

I am impressed , lets hope they can hold them to these.
      0 Not allowed!

Hostgator is great and Brent is a good guy. Hostgator is generally the company I recommend when somebody asks for shared hosting - and for good reason. Thank you for sharing!
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

I agree that Brend is a nice guy! Email him before, get a prompt. reply from him.
      0 Not allowed!

Good to hear, HostGator has been getting mixed reviews lately but Brent seems fast to be willing to work out any issues that have been going on lately. They definitely have a strong network behind them at The Planet.
      0 Not allowed!

As with any company there are going to be good and bad reviews, generally the happy customers will say nothing and the unhappy ones will cry for everybody to hear so just the mere fact that there are so many positive reviews for Hostgator shows that they are doing something right. There are bound to be bad reviews, it happens. All in all I have a very high amount of respect for Hostgator.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    Glad to hear about your experience, perhaps you can update us in a few months
    I do indeed intend to update this thread after a few months of usage, though I have used them before so I wouldn't consider myself a true Hostgator newb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burtan View Post
    Go Brent! You are an idol for all of us
    He's definitely "idol" worthy in many respects. I always try to appreciate those who put real effort into being a worthwhile human. So, so many of us take the selfish and easy route in life, and it's nice to know of people who try to give as much or more as they take, and that try to do the right thing in general. All of that on top of offering a good product is worthy of deep respect.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    As with any company there are going to be good and bad reviews, generally the happy customers will say nothing and the unhappy ones will cry for everybody to hear
    Yep. That's my feeling toward my old host (1and1) too. Though I don't have any particular deep love for 1and1, I found them to provide EXCELLENT hosting over two years for very little money, but when the tiny minority of their customers that have troubles of any significance come out to yell, it's going to be louder than many because of their proportional volume of customers, and the effect is exaggerated because, as you say, people that are HAPPY with a service rarely take the time to tell about it.

0 Not allowed!

seems everyone likes him...
      0 Not allowed!

I really dislike hostgator. Had a few accounts there and wont do it again.
      0 Not allowed!

Hostgator is really good in my opinions. The support are kind of slow, and they sounded really bored on the phone. But, once they fix that and they'll probably be the best hosting company out there (excluding the prices )
      0 Not allowed!

I have been using HG for years now. While they are not perfect, I still find them reliable and worth my business.

Very impressive piece of writing!
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic
      0 Not allowed!

Hostgator has been amazing for me also. 6 months - 100% uptime. Just submitted a ticket to get email moved to Google Apps for business reasons and got it all taken care of in 25 minutes.

Go Brent
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator
      0 Not allowed!

It honestly pains me to have to say anything negative about Hostgator... I really do think they are awesome, and I am fully convinced that Brent (the owner) is one fine human being... I do not want in any way to contribute to any negativity towards his business, but in the interest of a fully honest review of my experience I must tell my feelings.

I wound up canceling my account and swapping things back to 1&1. My MAIN concern is the manner in which resource "abuse" suspensions are handled. Some time ago Brent had mentioned on his blog that "abusers" would be moved to another box with about 20 accounts on it, rather than shutting the account down. Apparently that plan didn't work out because, or course, you'd then have 20 "abusers" battling it out with each other.

It is totally understandable that that system didn't work, but I do think that a business of Hostgator's size could afford to keep a few boxes that are dedicated to moving resource abuse accounts (that aren't severe) to for a temporary time while the account holder is given time (say one week) to weigh options, rather than simply shutting them down and "causing" the site owner to potentially lose visitors.

Now, you could easily say that most hosts would just suspend to save the box, contact the customer/tell them to go vps/dedicated and be done with it, but I think Hostgator has the heart and resources to do things differently, and would think it to be awesome PR for them to reformulate this issue... they would even be able to actively market their suspension policies as a proud "feature" on their main page!

The host that I have used for the last few years (1&1) does indeed have this type of policy. You can Google up digg 1&1 or something like that and find many folks bitchin about 1&1 moving them to an "auxiliary server" while they decide whether or not to go dedicated or whatever. They are all acting as if this is terrible of 1&1, but they are obviously clueless as to just how much they've been helped!

Another thing that really bothers me deeply about Hostgator resource suspensions is the ads on the suspended page. I had googled and found this:

http://suspended.hostgator.com/

which I took to mean that Brent had finally removed the ads from the suspended page but soon found out that in actual practice there is an iframe inclusion of the ads when a "real" site is suspended. I can imagine what it would be like to be a non-technically minded visitor to a site that sees such as that... they might think the owner to be a scummy domain squatter or some such thing, and it could cause the site owner to lose tons of credibility instantly in their eyes, not having any idea of the actual reason for the page they are seeing.

All of this leads directly into my other main reason for sticking with my present host... Hostgator only has two primary notches in their upgrade path... shared and dedicated... there is no in between. If my sites were becoming a little too heavy for shared, but still not providing enough income to go for dedicated, where would I be able to go? I do not have any idea why Hostgator doesn't offer VPS... it could be that it doesn't fit their setup on a technical level, I don't know, but I really wish there was some middle ground between the two extremes of shared/dedicated.

I would still consider using them if they ever fit my immediate need more than my present host... I have faith in them overall, and in their owner on many deep levels. Their support is satisfying, their hosting in and of itself is really good, but all things considered I decided that my present host is the right fit for me, both technically and strategically.

0 Not allowed!

Who is this brent dude, does he come to wht at all ?
    Overselling i feel never ends well, there will be more -ve reviews that will float rather than +ve.

Good luck to you, with 1 & 1
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Overselling i feel never ends well
    NOTHING that I have "complained" about has ANYTHING to do with overselling. Obviously you didn't read a bit of anything I said, and therefor have NO BUSINESS commenting.

Been with em for almost three years... luck ain't needed.

Look MAN, I've seen you going around to all the Hostgator threads and putting in your jabs... this crap from you is ANNOYING and you need to cut it out. You are adding NOTHING constructive to any of these threads. Enjoy your position of inferiority to them.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dwrunyon View Post
    You are adding NOTHING constructive to any of these threads. Enjoy your position of inferiority to them.
    Thats right, atleast i do not live with a feeling of guilt of duping people with unethical, yet somehow accepted trend in business. Ain't my style.

PS: everyone needs luck, but anyways i take my good luck back, have a crappy luck with 1 & 1 instead. Does that make you feel all cozy and happy now .

Ok let me get back to my showing off my inferiority to hostgator and putting few more jabs !!
    Adios amigo.
      0 Not allowed!

everyone needs luck, but anyways i take my good luck back, have a crappy luck with 1 & 1 instead. Does that make you feel all cozy and happy now .
    Be that as it may, I do still wish you luck in your own hosting business, because I have total respect for the need to provide for one's family, but you will do nothing but bring bad karma upon yourself if you continue to needlessly bash the good business of another. You are free to market your business however you wish, and Brent his. I did not have any problems with Hostgator whatsoever that were "overselling" related... the server ran very well... my issues were mostly a matter of policy.

Perhaps if Brent were more of a child he would come by every day and look for threads about YOUR hosting company (never seen one though) and harass your business model rather than taking care of his many, many customers... often one on one. I have never seen you taking care of yours here, but I suppose that's largely a result of there not being that many of them.

Anyway, may The Force be with you... regardless.

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dwrunyon View Post

Look MAN, I've seen you going around to all the Hostgator threads and putting in your jabs... this crap from you is ANNOYING and you need to cut it out. You are adding NOTHING constructive to any of these threads. Enjoy your position of inferiority to them.
    To be honest I think he is doing more damage to A1 Webosting Solutions (in his signature) than Hostgator.
      0 Not allowed!

Overselling i feel never ends well, there will be more -ve reviews that will float rather than +ve.

You have absolutely no idea

It has nothing to do with overselling it has all to do with the number of customers. When you have hundreds of thousands of customers you're not going to please every single person. Then factor in people tend be more vocal when they're having an issue then when their service is great.

Thats right, atleast i do not live with a feeling of guilt of duping people with unethical, yet somehow accepted trend in business. Ain't my style.

PS: everyone needs luck, but anyways i take my good luck back, have a crappy luck with 1 & 1 instead. Does that make you feel all cozy and happy now .

Ok let me get back to my showing off my inferiority to hostgator and putting few more jabs !!
    Adios amigo.

Honestly you call others unethical for overselling this and that then you look at your signature.

"Ultimate Proxy Hosting"

500mb space
    50GB bandwidth
    $2.99/month

1GB Space
    200GB bandwidth
    $11.99/month

Honestly don't come around here spouting your ******** about overselling when you are no better. You cannot honestly tell me that every user with a proxy could use their alloted bandwidth. There is absolutely no way unless of course you're betting they won't have massively large proxies that kill your server.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    "Ultimate Proxy Hosting"

500mb space
    50GB bandwidth
    $2.99/month

1GB Space
    200GB bandwidth
    $11.99/month

You cannot honestly tell me that every user with a proxy could use their alloted bandwidth. There is absolutely no way unless of course you're betting they won't have massively large proxies that kill your server.
    Exactly thats why for heavy proxies the plans are larger, and duuh u can use the bw as listed, i have for my 6 proxies I run on server, they use each 15-35 gb each without killing server.So let me guess you have never used or run a proxy in life and have no idea how much bw it can eat up before you put your nice little advertising comment for my proxy hosting Thanks for that though appreciate the spreading the word around !

dunno if this makes you feel better or not, i have not suspended any account for "RESOURCE" usage, only suspended for failure to pay like 10 days after the invoice was due. Feel free to try it out yourself before advertising my services for me. I need more Tony's to do advertising like that !!
    Last edited by Energizer Bunny; 04-17-2008 at 02:24 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Exactly thats why for heavy proxies the plans are larger, and duuh u can use the bw as listed, i have for my 6 proxies I run on server, they use each 15-35 gb each without killing server.So let me guess you have never used or run a proxy in life and have no idea how much bw it can eat up before you put your nice little advertising comment for my proxy hosting Thanks for that though appreciate the spreading the word around !
    And you ask in another thread how to get new customers, this way of course is a big NO. You have to be serious, you're running a business, to write like "coz" and slang like that, wont help to your image, nor when you jump in every thread about overselling.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    And you ask in another thread how to get new customers, this way of course is a big NO. You have to be serious, you're running a business, to write like "coz" and slang like that, wont help to your image, nor when you jump in every thread about overselling.
    Oh my bad, but seriously if you have to hide behind curtains to run a business as what other think is the best as told by others, is not how i work, i keep it simple give no reasons to complain when it comes to services, and make friends with each individual clients, i never address them with sir/mam, its rather mate, adio amigo salutations, and to be frank they rather appreciate that.

You talk about business, i do not see hosting as a business to make living, as thank god i got a full time day job. Now for extra cash you think hosting is the right field ? Everyone has different motives behind running a hosting site/company and business will be my last motive, its an amazing learning experience and for learning new stuff, i will do anything. Hosting has taught me so many things, be it about trends in technology, people, servers , sites, coding , troubleshooting and handling people. So, to be frank i would suggest everyone to once in their lifetime try to become a host, and if you can go for long enough say 1 to 3 years or more you definitely learned the right stuff and were not too stubborn to think you know everything (*cough cough that thread is exactly what it's for, to keep trying to learn how others are doing stuff, and expand and not be too stiff/stubborn, some really cool tips which i was thinking of doing were put there.Cause no one is all knowing and who thinks they are, are seriously mistaken).

Anyways, Jedito i will try to restrict myself from blowing a bubble or 2 whenever i see overselling as the topic, not sure if overselling is a good learning experience or not, only oversellers can throw some light if they actually learned something constructive. Personally thats why i want to know who this Brent fella is, maybe he can throw in some tips at me.

BTW, do big shots come to wht to read how hosts act or interact ? Will norton, sedo, and others will really come to wht to look for hosting ? Does rackspace come here(i think someone from there does) ? So, do we all have to be professional 24/7 even at wht or is that a question for maybe another thread ? WHT is a community forums not a professional arena, chilax (oh no another slangz from a host baaahh) a bit guys. Life's too short !
      0 Not allowed!

dunno if this makes you feel better or not, i have not suspended any account for "RESOURCE" usage, only suspended for failure to pay like 10 days after the invoice was due. Feel free to try it out yourself before advertising my services for me. I need more Tony's to do advertising like that !!
    Actually one of our customers had a very large proxy on a server they rented from put a serious strain on the server they were using. There were also cases when they pushed an insane amount of traffic through their proxy in a short amount of time essentially killing their opteron 185 server.

So I think it's quite clear to anyone with a clue you oversell. Just because you don't sell 5000GB of bandwidth does not mean you're not overselling your services. You're banking on the fact that each customer will not use as much bandwidth or cpu power they they are alloted.

Honestly I think WHT should just start removing posts by people like you spouting your oversell they're bad omg posts no matter what in any topic that has to do with a host who oversells. People like you add nothing to the discussion and are attempting to make some host look bad and nothing else.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!
      0 Not allowed!

You talk about business, i do not see hosting as a business to make living, as thank god i got a full time day job
    You run a business no matter if you take it seriously or not, some people trust their business to you
    Anyways, Jedito i will try to restrict myself from blowing a bubble or 2 whenever i see overselling as the topic, not sure if overselling is a good learning experience or not, only oversellers can throw some light if they actually learned something constructive.
    You do oversell too, I don't see your point.
    BTW, do big shots come to wht to read how hosts act or interact ? Will norton, sedo, and others will really come to wht to look for hosting ?
    They run their own equipments, however, you can see subsidiaries of big companies around here, even if they don't post (one of our customers is somehow related to Sony, and they found us through WHT)
    So, do we all have to be professional 24/7 even at wht or is that a question for maybe another thread ?
    I lose my tempter time to time here, however, as a customer perspective, at least I would never try your service after read you in many threads, you don't inspire me confidence. It seems, like you said, you don't run your business as a business, you don't take it seriously enough.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

He's posting under the username "hostgator.com". I remember it quite clearly when he addressed you once, as he didn't like the way you were getting involved in many threads where his company is being discussed. Of course, that seemingly came out of nowhere and most people I suppose considered him the "villain" for attacking you, but he notices better than anyone the things that involve his company.
      0 Not allowed!

you don't run your business as a business, you don't take it seriously enough.
    Right, thats why i survived for 2+ years now, if i were not serious enough about services offered you think i would have lasted so long ? Show me 1 person who is not serious enough about their services/products who lasts for more than few months or so, recent examples that come to my mind here at wht, like vagu, geekrack and so on... i seen more hosts crumble who although might have looked professional at wht, were not really serious enough about the services they were providing.

So does professionalism has anything to do or show if someone is serious enough about something or a business ? Can you show me that you are serious enough about your business, by just posting on wht ? No right ? Actions speak for themselves right not words or anything else.
    "It's easily said than done." Some quote from someone i think !!

@ldcdc wow i thought hostgator.com was some sales agent, not the mind behind hostgator, i feel bad, i will apologize to him right here right now for being such a pain in the (u know where), but i will side with those noob webmasters who get cheated or are not aware fully of the cpu restrictions in place over that much bw/space. Anyways sorry Brent, i will let you do whatever you feel is right for your company will not see me bugging you or getting involved in your company threads.

PS: no one is a villian at wht, its just that the entire competition thing makes us all look like villans at one time or other. Plus i am so inferior to hostgator anyways
    Cheers
    Last edited by Energizer Bunny; 04-17-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: thank u idcdc
      0 Not allowed!

Right, thats why i survived for 2+ years now, if i were not serious enough about services offered you think i would have lasted so long ?
    You have a full time job in parallel, so, you don't depend of the incomes of your hosting "company" to survive, it's easy to rent a dedicated server, with 30-40 you can cover the cost and survive for the eternity, even after that, I can see you posting here trying to find the way of how to get more customers many times. Don't you think that your attitude here contribute in anything?
    Also, you said it
    Everyone has different motives behind running a hosting site/company and business will be my last motive
    To jump over almost any HG thread attacking them, and also criticizing for something you also do, really makes you look very very bad.
      0 Not allowed!

Also, you said it
    Baah the quote did not get quoted, ooh well, notice you are talking about being serious i am no where in any thread mentioning that i am just fooling around with hosting and not serious, but your last post was like "oh this bunny is like not serious at all" ! So you quoted something that is not related to being "Serious" so are you serious about your hosting , would just posting on wht prove you are serious or not ? Or will actions speak for themselves is my final question to you Jedito. I want to know how you think about all this running hosting and being serious and calling it a business and where the line separating each others, apart lies.
      0 Not allowed!

You speak for your business, and your not doing any favor to a1webhosting in this forum, if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread, I guess that you'll keep your attitude here.
      0 Not allowed!