* Ubersmith -- php5 version arriving -- may!

So I read about a week ago that Ubersmith's billing / management software would be supporting PHP5 as of May, the version being released then is on track to support it.

Their software seems to be very reliable, actively developed (albeit PHP5 seemed to take them awhile) and worthy of every cent.

I'm excited to see it finally support php5 so I can give it a whirl
    What are your thoughts?

Here's the mention on their forums:
    http://forums.ubersmith.com/showthre...=3370#post3370
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Too little, too late.

If it took them 4 years to get php5 versions out, that's nothing but pathetic, and it shows a poor approach to customer service, ESPECIALLY since we've known for almost a year now that php4 would be EOL'ed.

Seems to me that Ubersmith was good back in the day, but they've just let development go. Nothing really major to get excited about there any more.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

I'm curious, have you ever used the product?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I'm curious, have you ever used the product?
    Oh yes
    It's been a couple years since I did, but they were on the list of tested stuff. Once I got the statement from them that they WEREN'T going to do a php5 release, I moved on.

Kinda funny, I paid for a product, didn't get to use it, and they didn't do anything to refund my price. Nothin screams fraud like someone not refunding you.

I'll buy that license
    David

Was a leased license, I wasn't out much but $40 , IIRC. Not that concerned with it at this point, really.

Sounds funny to me that something like Ubersmith (many big providers use it) taking that long to support PHP 5!
    WebHosting.com.bd - Web Hosting Bangladesh
    Limited Sites Per Server | cPanel | RVSiteBuilder PRO | Rapid Support | Pay-As-You-Go Reseller
    DomainDokan.com - Domain Registration Bangladesh
    Real-time Registration | Online Control Panel | Rapid Support | Turn-key Reseller

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    Kinda funny, I paid for a product, didn't get to use it, and they didn't do anything to refund my price. Nothin screams fraud like someone not refunding you.
    Why do you consider it fraud if you knowingly purchased a license and then consciously decided not to use it? Unless they broke the terms of their sale with you regarding any refund policy, I don't see how this is fraud.

With regard to the announcement that they'll support PHP5, I agree that it's "too little too late". We evaluated the software about 6 months ago as a possible replacement for our current software, and we were told that a PHP 5 version was not currently being developed. Not good, since EOL of PHP5 had already been announced by the PHP people. Talk about a company shooting themselves in the foot. (Ubersmith, not PHP.)
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I didn't "consciously decide not to use it" at all. I physically could not use it, there is a difference.

One would assume, rightfully so, that when a product is developed, it is developed with the understanding that it can be used with current versions of software it requires (ie: php5). When I found out that it wasn't able to be used with php5, it was too late, the money had already been sent, and by god, they weren't going to give it back.

I don't recall what ubersmith's "requirements" page stated when you did your testing, but I'm willing to bet they listed PHP4 as a requirement.

Your assumption does not equate to fraud.

Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Just because a page says "php4" doesn't mean it only supports "php4". This is typically meant that we support a minimum of php4, or a minimum of software version X.

Despite that, the fact remains that the software WAS NOT able to be used, and refund requests were ignored by Ubersmith. If I can't use what I'm paying for, that's not MY fault, that's the designer's fault!

The progress/migration from PHP4 to PHP5 was by no means very major.

Though some applications broke, the fact that many didn't proved that good coding practices should safely bring you through the migration.

The fact that it takes 4 years to migrate a piece of software from PHP4 to PHP5, and the fact that it should take a single developer the maximum of a month to convert a piece of software to PHP4 to PHP5, speaks volumes about their support.

Not to forgo that most hosts default to PHP5 since a year or two ago, and to maintain two versions of PHP is a horrible load of trouble.

Also, there was simply no benefit in staying at PHP4.
    Since a year or two after PHP5 was released, it was rather stable.

I would agree, Ubersmith's development is very lacking. The upgrade to a PHP5 version is very long overdue.

In addition the standard version of Ubersmith has seen no major development for years, despite it being a product for which you pay a recurring monthly charge and EXPECT that product development. They pulled out all the stops for DE but left their other customers in the dark.

Their hosted version of the app has also been painfully slow for nearly a year now and despite raising the issue many times they have no intention to fix it.

We've now nearly finished writing our own in-house system and thankfully we'll be completely moved from Ubersmith soon. While I can't say our experience has been a bad one it certainly hasn't been pleasant either.

Just because a page says "php4" doesn't mean it only supports "php4". This is typically meant that we support a minimum of php4, or a minimum of software version X.

Despite that, the fact remains that the software WAS NOT able to be used, and refund requests were ignored by Ubersmith. If I can't use what I'm paying for, that's not MY fault, that's the designer's fault!
    Tom, I can't help feeling that you just like to cause trouble.

If it says "PHP4" it means PHP4. If it says "PHP4 or above", it means PHP4 or above. Period.

You don't deserve a refund because you are unable to read and comprehend system requirements.

Dan
    Last edited by dkitchen; 04-07-2008 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post

If what you quoted is exact, than I'll have to agree with Dan.

If they supported or tested their software on PHP5, than it would have mentioned it. If it simply states "PHP4", than don't buy it with the intentions of running it outside of their requirements.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Just a little FYI. The month of May, came and went - No new release has been made.