* Overselling ? haaah. you are years behind

http://www.freewebhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8281

FREE hosts are offering 7 terabyte transfer, 7 gb space already :

- 7 GB Webspace (+ 7000 MB!)
    - 7 TB Monthly Data Transfer (+ 7000000 MB!!!)
    and you were discussing overselling here and there.

Nice, I could set up a backup-software to backup our old log files(ca 5 Gb) in crypted format every 5 minutes on their servers. It might take a bit bandwidth but hey, they offer 7 TB of traffic1!11!!

for free.. you having me on! from the website they look like they are on a reseller plan lol

Well they put ads on user pages, which means the more page hits the more money they make and the more they can offer for free.

Sounds fair for me.

And i'm 100% sure that there is a hidden sentence somewhere that you can not serve 7TB of binary files.

Quote Originally Posted by Xylitol View Post
    Nice, I could set up a backup-software to backup our old log files(ca 5 Gb) in crypted format every 5 minutes on their servers. It might take a bit bandwidth but hey, they offer 7 TB of traffic1!11!!
    I have seen such useless comments being tossed around. People keep saying this without doing it.

Just do it, will you?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Yea a few people should test such hosts when they get the chance and let the community know whether there is any host that actually fullfills their promise or not. if there is, we can check them out and find out whether this overselling thing really works or not, and understand whether we are doing wrong or not.

Quote Originally Posted by llothar View Post
    Well they put ads on user pages, which means the more page hits the more money they make and the more they can offer for free.

Sounds fair for me.

And i'm 100% sure that there is a hidden sentence somewhere that you can not serve 7TB of binary files.

You mean 7 GB? 7TB is for the bandwidth.
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    I have seen such useless comments being tossed around. People keep saying this without doing it.

Just do it, will you?
    The issue is that even if you upload that amount of data, they would just terminate your account under the guise of CPU usage, so it really wouldn't prove anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burtan View Post
    You mean 7 GB? 7TB is for the bandwidth.
    Yes thats why i wrote "serve 7 TB" and not "store 7 TB". Seems that you (and the others) haven't neither read my post or the original linked offer.

From what i read they are not overselling.

Quote Originally Posted by llothar
    From what i read they are not overselling.
    I can't tell if your joking or not. But if you aren't don't believe everything you read. I can promise you they are overselling.

7GB of space is not impossible. With cheap hard drives at 1TB now, it's definitely possible.

But 7TB of transfer is impossible for them to offer every client. It would require at least a 25Mbit connection PER CLIENT. Now, I am realistic and I know practically nobody will ever come close to using that (less than 1% will, I'd say).

There is little chance their advertising is generating enough money to make such an offer possible to fulfill. Back when I ran N2HQ.com back in the day, ad profit (through the old BurstNet.com ad company) was $2 per thousand). We had 10,000+ views daily, so we covered costs and then some.

Overall point: space offering looks fine as long as each server has less than 200 clients, but bandwidth is impossible.
    Last edited by MikeWalczak; 04-05-2008 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Edited out: "(we are soon announcing plans to do so ourselves)." from the first sentence.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak View Post
    I can't tell if your joking or not. But if you aren't don't believe everything you read. I can promise you they are overselling.
    On the bandwidth side, they are definitely overselling. Nobody can deny that.
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

They have vBulletin and Kayako, maybe they are just rich?

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    On the bandwidth side, they are definitely overselling. Nobody can deny that.
    Well depends on there ad styles. I know page impressions are not popular anymore but i still get enough offers. And all this pop unders that people click to go away are still expensive even they are IMHO totally worthless but some people still give money for this kind of advertisement.

So the question is about the average page size, page click rate and ad generated money.

If this ratio is okay and possitive it doesn't matter how many terabyte they offer. Because they have an implicit price per GByte - thats the opposite of overselling. And if this is met they will be more then happy to give you even a PetaByte of transferrate.

Well and if they don't get enough adds they will simply go Chapter 11.

So it just does not meet the precise definition of Overselling.
    Offering means to offer more space/traffic then is possible to finance with the fixed given price.

Everybody should see that it is 100% clear that any kind of ad sponsered can not mean overselling, because there is no fixed price.

There are other words like "challenging business plan" that come to my mind but not overselling.

I was thinking if I buy a second dedicated server, I'd get a 1TB drive x2 cheap enough to do hosting and backups.

Quote Originally Posted by llothar
    So it just does not meet the precise definition of Overselling.
    Offering means to offer more space/traffic then is possible to finance with the fixed given price.
    You can't be serious. They are a perfect example of what overselling actually is, giving away more space than they have in hopes that no one actually uses all of it. Theres no way you can really believe that they are seriously going to offer 7 TB of bandwidth per user without overselling. No matter how much money per GB they have, the costs to provide that amount of resources to each user without overselling would be insane.