* Need large MS SQL 2005 space. Help!

Hello,

I am stuck here.

I have several gigs worth of data which my programmer wants to put into MS SQL 2005. But the last time I check, MS SQL comes in blocks of only a few MB (eg 200MB for $25).

Now if I have 10GB of data, that yould cost me like...thousands?).

One solution is to use mysql which is free of course, but the website is done in ASP.NET. How will this affect performance?

Also, is there any other way which I can purchase SQL 2005 myself? If yes, how much for one domain name?

Thanks in advance for the help!

MS SQL licencing as far as I'm aware is per user - you'd need your own dedicated server (with associated added costs of Windows licence and possibly a control panel) but it would work out cheaper than the price you've been quoted.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting

Indeed, your best bet would be to get your own dedicated server.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

sql 2005

If I got my own server, then I need to buy the licence right?

I checked and found there are this 5-CAL licence costing about a thousand bucks for MS SQL SERVER 2005 Standard edition. Is this what I whould be buying?

You don't have to actually buy it if it seems to expensive to you, as you can rent it from a server provider. You would only be paying a monthly fee, which will be smaller than paying the whole fee up front.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Once you have your server and added all the stuff you would need then yes you would need to buy/Rent a license for MS SQL.

You would need to do a search on the internet for the best price.

If you would consider a VPS or dedicated server I would take a look at 3dgwebhosting. I have a VPS as well as MS SQL, SharePoint, and soon Dynamics 4.0 running on their systems and have been impressed with the service since day one. Their prices are great and they may meet your MS SQL needs.

My MS SQL load is pretty high and continues to grow (running an ATS and CRM)

Hello,

We have several clients w/ dBs in this size range. I would first try and find an "exact" amount of MS SQL storage you will need. Then contact providers offering MS SQL and some may be able to help w/ large MS SQL dBs.

Hope this helps and best wishes.

Hello guys,

I checked CDW dotcon and found some SQL 2005 softwares. There are many types of licences and I am getting confused.

Can anyone help me find which one will I need if I only install the SQL for one website only? I'm not running a hosting business and I only need one licence.

Also, can I resell the licence if I decided not to use it anymore?

Thanks

First of all, determined which MSSQL version do you need? Obviously the Workgroup would be much cheaper than the Standard verison. And if you can get by with MSSQL 2005 Express, then it's free.

Secondly, you do not always need a dedicated server. A Windows VPS may work as well.

Good luck.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

BTW, for hosting purposes, you cannot buy MSSQL. You will need to lease it under SPLA, which you might be ale to do through your host. Buying MS products (MSSQL, Win2K3, etc) to be used for hosting peruposes would be illegal.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    BTW, for hosting purposes, you cannot buy MSSQL. You will need to lease it under SPLA, which you might be ale to do through your host. Buying MS products (MSSQL, Win2K3, etc) to be used for hosting peruposes would be illegal.
    While I was reading this, I was surprised no one mentioned this. Glad you did Dave.

If you arent using any advanced features, you could just use mssql express - it has limitations on processors (1) and RAM (1 GB I believe) - but, it should more then suffice for your requirements.

Also, no reason at all you cant connect to mysql from .NET.

As Dave suggested, a dedicated or VPS will meet your requirements...

We have several clients who get MSSQL through the SPLA program. Cartika is right about there being limitations to the processors and memory on the Express version. There is also a 4GB database file size limit as well that may prevent you from using it if your total 10GB is one database. It sounds like Workgroup may be your best bet. No limit on file size of the database, supports dual CPUs, and 3GB of RAM. It is not that expensive per month (I want to say less than $100 per month) under the SPLA program.

+1 for a dedicated server will meet your requirements nicely.
    Last edited by tcis-jarrod; 04-21-2008 at 08:39 PM.