Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ukraine, Lviv
    Posts
    149

    Put a stop to the Canadian seal hunt

    I've signed that petition already.
    I urge everyone do the same - it is really worth your 5 minutes of time...

    https://community.hsus.org/campaign/...eals08_mktg_a/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,984
    I signed it too! I read about how they kill the seals, it was gross and too inhumane.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    363
    Joined just because those lil' buggers are so gosh darn cute

    (and they shouldn't be treated like they are)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ukraine, Lviv
    Posts
    149
    I've sent the link to my friends.
    I don't know if we can help, but let's make our votes matter!
    At least we'll try to change this world in a good direction...
    Maybe moderators can may this post sticky, at least for some time - we all will appreciate this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    433
    Out of the reasons listed on the page, none actually made any sense. So I didn't sign it. Seals are animals, they are seafood..and Canada exports thousands of tons of seafood a year. Why not the seals? There is millions of them.
    Last edited by Emil; 04-04-2008 at 06:11 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ukraine, Lviv
    Posts
    149
    Out of the reasons listed on the page, none actually made any sense. So I didn't sign it. Seals are animals, they are seafood..and Canada exports thousands of tons of seafood a year. Why not the seals? There is millions of them.
    Now quoting the website:

    ... And one of the cruelest: There is evidence that many of the seals—most of them babies under three months of age—may have been skinned while still conscious and able to feel pain. Simply put, this unconscionable slaughter must end ...
    At least this is a good enough reason. At least I educate my kids NOT TO BE CRUEL.
    Yes, I understand your point about seafood, as well I do understand other facts about food industry.
    But IN NO WAY cruelty may be authorised and brought up, IMHO at least.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    this stuff is funny
    most everyone eats beef pork mcdonalds tacobell bk wendys steaks fries chicken
    seals are no more important then cattle cows and veal i mean calfs's calves what ever you wanna call them.
    Its only when this species becomes endagered will you actually start noticing so will we see a seal ranch for easy seal food.
    who knows
    The real deal is if you were starving and there was cattle,fish or a seal nearby youd kill it, your an animal too.
    Die or eat Your a human and you would kill just to survive no matter your morals .
    I would,
    im hungry so i just fried some bacon
    yuuuuuuuuuuuuumy

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    this stuff is funny
    most everyone eats beef pork mcdonalds tacobell bk wendys steaks fries chicken
    seals are no more important then cattle cows and veal i mean calfs's calves what ever you wanna call them.
    Its only when this species becomes endagered will you actually start noticing so will we see a seal ranch for easy seal food.
    who knows
    The real deal is if you were starving and there was cattle,fish or a seal nearby youd kill it, your an animal too.
    Die or eat Your a human and you would kill just to survive no matter your morals .
    I would,
    im hungry so i just fried some bacon
    yuuuuuuuuuuuuumy
    I think the point here is how they are being killed.

  9. #9
    Done and indeed I'd say with most things the questions how and why are at least as important as the what.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by geedeedee View Post
    I think the point here is how they are being killed.
    That response makes no sense
    if you or something is killed it doesnt matter how you are being killed its like saying '
    oohh dont kill that ---- wait u can kill it if you do it nice.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ukraine, Lviv
    Posts
    149
    I think I should have created a poll here
    Something like 'Are you starving', and answers 'Yes', 'No', 'Will work for food'

    Indeed, guys, how many of you have tasted seal meat? I haven't maybe because seals do not live here in Black and Azov seas
    Really, the most important question here is how.

    Again, I'm not against seafood or good piece of beakon. I'm against cruelty, no matter how hungry you are...

  12. #12
    There is no point in causing unnecessary suffering. Indeed you will not know once you are dead. But does that make it much better if I torture you now?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,984
    The bacon you eat comes from a pig who was killed in an abattoir. Death is instantaneous and the carcasses are carved up. For the seals, normally it is not the meat that they are after, it is the fur, to satisfy some rich lady's vanity. The seal is clubbed to death, it is a slow and painful death compared to what the pig had suffered. Clubbed to death so that their fur is intact and remain a full coat on the lady's shoulders

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    That response makes no sense
    if you or something is killed it doesnt matter how you are being killed its like saying '
    oohh dont kill that ---- wait u can kill it if you do it nice.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ukraine, Lviv
    Posts
    149
    That response makes no sense
    if you or something is killed it doesnt matter how you are being killed its like saying 'oohh dont kill that ---- wait u can kill it if you do it nice.
    This actually makes sense.

    You can shoot an animal, in this case you will be a hunter. You can torture an animal to death, in this case you'll be a bastard.

    Isn't this apparent?
    Do go to your dentist to extract a tooth. He can make anesthetic injection and extract your tooth in a quick and painless way.
    Or he can just start extracting your tooth.
    In which case you'll feel better?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    only in an imaginary world of happy feelings
    to die is to die.
    Then process of how you get there is of no matter.
    Just to make you sleep better at night makes no difference.
    the thing is just as dead.
    Some people dont get it i understand.
    Some people c things as shades of grey i c things as black and white.
    clarity can be found in contemplation
    ie its either ok to do it or its not. the path is only a means to an end . thus one would contemplate a different path .

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Shimonoseki
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil View Post
    Out of the reasons listed on the page, none actually made any sense. So I didn't sign it. Seals are animals, they are seafood..and Canada exports thousands of tons of seafood a year. Why not the seals? There is millions of them.
    They are not being killed for their meat.
    Closed for winter...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureMaker View Post
    I think I should have created a poll here
    Something like 'Are you starving', and answers 'Yes', 'No', 'Will work for food'

    Again, I'm not against seafood or good piece of beakon. I'm against cruelty, no matter how hungry you are...
    your sign should read Will work For BeeR im their dude

    as far as cruelty no matter how hungry you are.
    much like a druggie in need of a fix youl do anything. or youl die .
    its a survival instinct built into all of us.
    you cant hide from it you cant shun it, its there whether you like it or not.
    Oh wait this is a civilized society with wars ,
    nevermind were all civilized.


    will work for BeEr
    Yaaayyy

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ukraine, Lviv
    Posts
    149
    Some people c things as shades of grey i c things as black and white.
    Do you really think so? Can you really draw a straight line between 'good' and 'evil', or between 'OK thing' and 'not OK thing'?

    Evil is just lack of good, and not a separate piece of world or black stripe. We don't have 'black' and 'white', we have 'white' and 'lack of white'.

    The good of a human being must have something to do with being human; and what sets humanity off from other species, giving us the potential to live a better life, is our capacity to guide ourselves by using reason.

    There's NO reason torturing other living creatures, and that's it!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    only in an imaginary world of happy feelings
    to die is to die.
    Then process of how you get there is of no matter.
    Just to make you sleep better at night makes no difference.
    the thing is just as dead.
    Some people dont get it i understand.
    Some people c things as shades of grey i c things as black and white.
    is it now ?

    so you have no objections if you were made to die of bone cancer, making you scream to death in agony for over 6 months, squirming in your own bed.

    clarity can be found in contemplation
    poke a knife in your hiney and then check if you are able to contemplate. also check whether you would like to slowly die that way or not.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    This is something horrible, despicable, totally unjustifiable by western standards.

    If it was in a 3rd world country that still had tribal society, backwards in every way, it would still be impossible to tolerate it, but in CANADA, a frigging G5 country, its totally unaccceptable.

    You canadians have to put an end to this.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    is it now ?

    so you have no objections if you were made to die of bone cancer, making you scream to death in agony for over 6 months, squirming in your own bed.
    Im capable of intelligent thought so il kill my self or go out with a bang or go out with some sort of spree and let some cop do it for me .
    If i had kids i would just deal with it cuz im a man and thats what men do.
    Mind over matter


    Quote Originally Posted by unity100
    poke a knife in your hiney and then check if you are able to contemplate. also check whether you would like to slowly die that way or not.
    Since birth we are all slowly dying
    poking a knife in my hiney is only going to make me mad it wont kill me
    Last edited by BeerMoney; 04-04-2008 at 08:45 AM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureMaker View Post
    Do you really think so? Can you really draw a straight line between 'good' and 'evil', or between 'OK thing' and 'not OK thing'?
    yeah i said so
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureMaker
    Evil is just lack of good, and not a separate piece of world or black stripe. We don't have 'black' and 'white', we have 'white' and 'lack of white'.
    i like the contemplation here but i dont understand the message
    evil is a religious term.
    good is something in your mind and most have a preset good and evil.
    if its evil to kill something then it doesnt matter how you kill it its still dead and if its still evil to kill something because of a lack of good then it would be evil to eat the after effects of such.
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureMaker
    The good of a human being must have something to do with being human; and what sets humanity off from other species, giving us the potential to live a better life, is our capacity to guide ourselves by using reason.
    There's NO reason torturing other living creatures, and that's it!
    indeed reason is nice but if reason was indeed used throughout world history most of us wouldnt have been born.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ukraine, Lviv
    Posts
    149
    indeed reason is nice but if reason was indeed used throughout world history most of us wouldnt have been born.
    And most of others wouldn't have been killed That would have saved the balance.

    if its evil to kill something then it doesnt matter how you kill it its still dead and if its still evil to kill something because of a lack of good then it would be evil to eat the after effects of such.
    Killing is not evil us such, although we avoid killing where possible.
    Being cruel is bad, torturing is bad.
    We put people into jail for their crimes, but we don't torture them as this was done in middle ages. Why? Because we avoid this even if we think someone deserves it. Because we strive to be civilized.

    In the USA one can be sentenced to death, but still this will be done quickly. They won't torture to death, they'll just make an injection.
    Why? Because we strive to be civilized.

    Preventing tortures where possible is yet another step towards being civilized.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureMaker View Post
    In the USA one can be sentenced to death, but still this will be done quickly. They won't torture to death, they'll just make an injection.
    Why? Because we strive to be civilized.

    Preventing tortures where possible is yet another step towards being civilized.
    This wont be done quickly it takes years and years to put a scumbag to death in a state that allows it and then courts are bogged down with useless cases and useless appeals but in the end innocent are often killed
    i support taking them to the middle of the ocean and dropping them on a small little rubber dingy. what happen happens
    call it torture call it an oppurtunity for them to survive
    lets advance and improve humanity through technology and education
    leave being civilized to the elite's

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ukraine, Lviv
    Posts
    149
    lets advance and improve humanity through technology and education
    I fully agree. The current level of technology allows us to aviod killing in many cases.
    In fact, technology HAS already helped much to avoid unnecessary killing. If the killing cannot be avioded just because we badly need the product of it - technology allows us to make that killing happen without suffering of living creature.

    Education - I 100% agree. I educate my kids (and in fact so do I to many more people) to avoid cruelty. We kill mosquitos - there're good reasons for that.
    We kill cows, pigs, chiken - yes, we need food, and nothing can be done with this.
    The only thing - we must avoid unnecessary pain and cruelty.

    leave being civilized to the elite's
    I think we all are elite here at WHT. Maybe there're exceptions, but at least MOST of us are elite. This is why I have started this topic here, and not somewhere at cheap pervert porn forum

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    elitist are the problem with our society's
    we will have to continue killing cows cattle sheep seal fish calfs and people
    until strar trek catches up
    computer id like a beer

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ukraine, Lviv
    Posts
    149
    What makes us different from animals is choice. Or freedom of choice, or ability to choose - however you call this.
    And technology and education are tools that widen our number of choices available.

    A good knive may be used to kill someone or it can be used to carve a wooden figure - we choose how to use it.

    Elite is not a problem, at least not the biggest problem. The problem is that noone cares - (c) agent Mulder from X-Files

    OK, I'm also going out for a beer

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by VentureMaker View Post
    What makes us different from animals is choice. Or freedom of choice, or ability to choose - however you call this.
    And technology and education are tools that widen our number of choices available.

    A good knive may be used to kill someone or it can be used to carve a wooden figure - we choose how to use it.

    Elite is not a problem, at least not the biggest problem. The problem is that noone cares - (c) agent Mulder from X-Files

    OK, I'm also going out for a beer
    On the contrary all of our problems whether you know it or not are caused by these elitist whom are schememing together to dominate all of us .
    why does no one care theyv schemed up a plan for everyone to work themselves to death including mothers they were behind the movement in the early 90's of a womens right to work and fair wages for them no she doesnt have to stay at home and raise kids let her work
    so the state can raise your kids indeed actions like these would make BeEr
    a must

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    441
    Gotta love the mis-information. Few points here. First of all, it's illegal to kill baby seals (yes those cute white fluffy animals, well you can't legally kill them). Furthermore, it's also illegal to skin seals alive (not that theres any point in skinning a seal since they have no fur, they're blobs of fat basically). Tertio, the killing of seal using a club or a low caliber gun is no different, if not better, than the way cows, chicken etc are killed for our food. On top of this, seals are living in the wild as opposed to cages. Also, there are way too many seals and they ruin the fish stocks...what happens next ? well they starve to death because food is scarce. There are so many of them that we see them in mass as low as the Gaspe coast now.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    Im capable of intelligent thought so il kill my self or go out with a bang or go out with some sort of spree and let some cop do it for me .
    If i had kids i would just deal with it cuz im a man and thats what men do.
    Mind over matter
    well well now, what happened to your idea of "how you die does not matter" ?

    why are you gonna kill yourself ? you were saying it was not important how you died in the end ? why are you escaping a painful death by killing yourself ?

    Since birth we are all slowly dying
    poking a knife in my hiney is only going to make me mad it wont kill me
    poking a knife in your hiney is going to make you find out whether you can 'contemplate' whilst having a knige in your hiney or not. and it will also instantly let you know it is 'mind over matter' or vice versa.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Jackson, MI
    Posts
    1,526
    This thread has made me hungry, I think I will have a seal meat sandwich.


    Just kidding, it is sad to see that so little care is taken with the killing of some of these animals, but I would think that the Canadian government would set in.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    433
    For the people who say that their death is slow and agonizing for most of the seals..yeah right. The twitching you see is simply a nervous system response, the seals are dead.

    If you have ever killed a veal by hitting it in the head, you'd know that it dies almost instantaneously. The seal heads are much smaller, and it looks like they have a sharp pointer at the end which would end all doubt on the slowness of the death.

    Do some seals take longer to die? Sure. But that is not a valid reason to cancel the entire hunt.

    Furthermore the population of these seals is around 6 million, with the yearly hunt taking around ~3% of that entire population. Hardly a huge number that would destabilize their population.
    Last edited by Emil; 04-04-2008 at 04:37 PM.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    well well now, what happened to your idea of "how you die does not matter" ?

    why are you gonna kill yourself ? you were saying it was not important how you died in the end ? why are you escaping a painful death by killing yourself ?
    I stated dead is dead it doesnt matter how you get there whats hard to understand about that.
    If im gunna die and it doesnt matter then why not have a blast in the process.
    I also advocate the killing of all stupid people.
    That may include me it may not, depending on how i feel that particular day they pick all the stupid people and whether or not i found any beer money.




    Quote Originally Posted by unity100
    poking a knife in your hiney is going to make you find out whether you can 'contemplate' whilst having a knige in your hiney or not. and it will also instantly let you know it is 'mind over matter' or vice versa.
    mind over matter mind over matter mind over matter

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Amidst several dimensions
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    I stated dead is dead it doesnt matter how you get there whats hard to understand about that.
    If im gunna die and it doesnt matter then why not have a blast in the process.
    I also advocate the killing of all stupid people.
    That may include me it may not, depending on how i feel that particular day they pick all the stupid people and whether or not i found any beer money.
    nooow nooowww. thats a bit contradiction. a while earlier you were just saying that how one died did not matter, regarding seals, stating that it was death, all the same after all.

    now trying to escape a painful death for yourself seems a bit contradictory.

    so how you died mattered after all ?

    mind over matter mind over matter mind over matter
    there is no such thing. if someone poked a knitting needle in his butt, buddha would not be able to to transcendent during his final meditation under the tree. so its wise to avoid any sharp objects in the butt.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. John's, NL
    Posts
    2,114
    Everyone forgets the fact that the seal population is currently increasing out of control, and kill all the fish in the process.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    433
    Exactly.

    I just read that there is close to 10 million of them and growing. So you are looking at less than 2% of the entire population for these quotas.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    nooow nooowww. thats a bit contradiction. a while earlier you were just saying that how one died did not matter, regarding seals, stating that it was death, all the same after all.

    now trying to escape a painful death for yourself seems a bit contradictory.

    so how you died mattered after all ?
    Theres no contradiction it still doesnt matter dead is dead i said you might as well have some fun on your way out.

    Quote Originally Posted by unity100;
    there is no such thing. if someone poked a knitting needle in his butt, buddha would not be able to to transcendent during his final meditation under the tree. so its wise to avoid any sharp objects in the butt.
    Pain in the butt is not having any beer money.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,100
    I am not fan of killing animals, be it cow or seal but I do accept it as necessary evil. Only thing I expect is that killing is done as quick and as painless as possible. Current regulations governing Canadian seal hunt ensure just that.

    I eat meat and use animal products so I simply cannot take hight moral ground and oppose seal hunt which supports over 6000 fishermen families. Even if seal hunt does not provide they year round income it still provides them with money to buy food and pay bills for few months every year. Maybe some of you have hard time understanding it, but family cannot decide that they will not eat two months every year.

    Canadian seal hunt is regulated and limited and observed and controlled. There is probably tiny tiny percentage of kills that do go wrong, but everything human is less then perfect. Sometimes even sealers themselves die in hunting accidents. Only side of the hunt public ever gets to see are those "bad kills". Groups opposing the hunt are not informed enough about hunt or simply do not care for any reality that does not work for them. I guess it is easier to get public on their side by showing pictures of white baby seals then focusing on some less interesting problem like regulation of kosher meat industry.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    433
    Correction, there is no "high moral ground" for opposing the seal hunt. It is just another ground.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    389
    Before I start out I will state I am not for or against seal culling - if the numbers are out of control and depleting fish stocks then something needs to be done. I remember my dad going out to shoot deer (in the UK) when their numbers were growing fast many many years ago - same thing different animal.

    Anyway, I see people saying ooo look how they are killed, thats bad - yes it is but what about battery hens, in a box too small to turn round, spread wings etc. They are their for eggs and then killed, thats not humane.

    I have seen videos of pigs being killed in unsavory ways - watered down with a hose, hog tied (no pun intended), thrown onto a damp metal plate, electrocuted and then dipped through some very hot water to do whatever (kill bacteria / burn hairs off I am not sure) and then hooked on a conveyor belt to be slaughtered.

    What I am trying to say is that where ever you look at animals getting killed for food / skins you will see the bad side of it. Death is bad but a neccesary evil (the vegetarians / vegans will say differently I know). Its not just them fluffy seals!

    Just my 2p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •