Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 46
  1. #1

    Linux Tech Network, a Review

    While I haven't dealt with this company in quite a while, I do feel that I should post my review to warn future clients.

    While others may have other experiences with this company, I can say that I will never deal with them again.

    First let me explain what they do: They provide server admin services for dedicated servers. This is a great services because it allows people with limited knowledge to manage a dedicated server.

    While their services may have not been poor, their businesses practices are, well, horrific.

    1. I did contact the admin around midnight once in a while for minor questions, however, I did not call them or anything of that sort, but rather sent them an instant message because they were online (on AOL Instant Messenger). After a few times answering my questions, they blew up at me. Why you might ask? Well, for asking questions over IM later than they would like. There was no way for me to know that they had their instant messenger linked to their cell phone, nor had they ever mentioned before that I should send an email or submit a support ticket instead of contacting them VIA IM at night.

    2. Their policy of having to cancel a month in advance is well, tacky. They claimed that it was because they needed time to uninstall their "custom" software. However, as seen from point 3, that seems to have holes in it. Plus, when I had a server disconnected, I still had to pay the extra month even though the server wasn't even on anymore.

    3. Besides the pay a month in advance policy this is the real reason not to use Linux Tech Networks. I canceled half a month in advance, so I of course had to pay the next month. However, within that month, all of the software they installed on my server was gone. So apparently it actually takes much longer to uninstall the software, because they start uninstalling it as soon as they know you are going to stop using their service. Additionally, they uninstall software that other companies design. They installed ConfigServer's firewall, and instead of leaving it installed as any good company should, they uninstalled it. So this means that they actually take their time to make your server less secure if you choose to stop using their services.

    While they may not do anything illegal, not a company I will ever use again, nor do I recommend anyone else does.
    TitanTutorials.com, Making Flash Tutorials Affordable Again, Always Up For Custom Jobs
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    286
    You mean linux-tech.net? Which package did you purchase out of interest?
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,111
    Certainly sounds like a business that I also wouldn't really want to deal with, the ethics arn't there!
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Hmm, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with Linux-tech ...aka Tom

    Ironically, my review is exactly as mentioned above. Although, the server we had Tom manage already had a few things done, but with his "lazy scripts" he removed many things that he would have installed and configured if we had not already configured them. In simple terms he left the server more insecure than it was when he signed in.

    If you want a true admin, talk to Rack911
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Yes I do.

    The package doesn't matter (I believe mine was $100 a month). As I said, I didn't really have a problem with their services themselves (for all I know they are the best admins in the world, though at the time I didn't know much, so they could have been the worst)

    The problem isn't really their services, it's their policies, they seem to want to punish you if you stop using their services. Plus, blowing up on me for asking questions later than they want without any warning, that's just silly.
    TitanTutorials.com, Making Flash Tutorials Affordable Again, Always Up For Custom Jobs
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    By the way to anyone who reads this review. This is of course my experience with Linux Tech Network, others may have much different takes. I personally believe that Tom shouldn't have blown up at me, I personally believe that there is no reason to require a client to cancel in a month in advance, and I personally believe that software, especially third-party software such as the ConfigServer firewall shouldn't be uninstalled.

    The bottom line being, many people have many different experiences, I am just telling my story so everyone can make a more informed choice when choosing a server admin.
    TitanTutorials.com, Making Flash Tutorials Affordable Again, Always Up For Custom Jobs
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    It's almost amusing that people will wait, what, a year now, to post reviews like this, in hopes that individuals will forget circumstances, or even who they are. I'll address each of these individually.

    Firstly, Chris:
    You've been an on-again, off-again client for years. Every time you come back, it's the same old same old deal . You come in claiming "I've changed", "I'm sorry for the bad stuff I've said or done", "I can't believe that I did that", blah blah blah blah blah. Yet, every time, within 6 months , you turn heel and start whining and complaining, and throwing a fit, because you don't get your way. I'll use the last time as an example.

    You messaged me on a Saturday morning, saying that many of your clients had been infected with something. Ok, fine, I took a look at it. On first look, it didn't appear to be anything server related, so I posted that. I didn't STOP looking, I just said hey, this isn't server related.

    Despite the fact that your issues were client related, I happily spent the better part of a Saturday afternoon developing something to fix the edited .htaccess files, and put into play some heavily tested stuff. This well exceeded your monthly limit of time, but I didn't say anything, I just went about doing what needed to be done.

    At that point, you said that you were happy, thanked me for what was done, etc. Good news, I considered the job done, though that's when I first started working with suhosin into a php compile.

    A week later, you come back to me, complaining about various other client related issues (client's custom dns not working, etc), then demand that I fix those, despite the fact that your time had been used for the month. Even if it hadn't, I still wouldn't have touched them, because CLIENT issues are not SERVER issues. A server admin should never, ever touch client related anything , because that leads to problems! When I told you that they were client issues, you ranted and raaved, and cancelled the service, claiming "I'll pay the 30 day's fee", but not doing so. Surprisingly enough, that makes YOU the bad guy here, for ripping an individual off.

    As far as 'leaving your server more insecure'? Your server was returned to you in the state that it was initially sent to me in, even better than, because I'd updated a number of applications. Yes, I took out all of my custom additions, because you don't get to keep those. Those are written, designed, and put out specifically for me and my customers, they benefit from 10+ years of Linux knowledge and administration skills, as well as 25 years of programming skills. There's absolutely no way you're going to be allowed to keep those on your server.

    The funny thing? Despite your repeated insinuations, you tried, once again, a few months back to startup some kind of service with me. When I realized whom you were, I told you where to go this time, many, many times. You, sir, are nothing but an annoying, harassing customer, a true pain to do any work for, and, certainly not a man of your own word.


    Now, on to the original poster, yet again a repeat customer, someone who hasn't been around for almost a full year now, has had to deal with this '30 day cancellation' policy , what, twice now, and still waited a year to complain.

    Firstly, let's set the record straight here. When you cancelled the first time, it was due to server cancellation IIRC (I can't really go back that far for some reason). Regardless, I told you that if you didn't use the service in that time, what I would do is credit your account the funds paid.

    When you came back the second time, you were informed that this was true, and the credit was immediately applied to your account. Now, please, tell me how that's unethical? It's not.

    It gets better though. When you came back the second time, after being there, what, 2, maybe 3 weeks, you ordered services on ANOTHER server. Ok, so I guess things weren't as "bad" as you make them out to be, now were they?

    Now, as far as you harassing me around midnight, this is true, and you were told to stop doing so. A bit of common sense used would have shown that certain times of the day it's not cool to IM someone on minor issues, or just because you want to chat. Of course, that's not a problem now, because IM conversations must take place with registered users, and only clients that have purchased certain packages get to IM me.

    The reason I got so upset, and rightfully so? Every time (at that time) anyone IM'ed me, my phone would wake me up. This was explained to you at the time. IM's went right through to my phone, and you were told this multiple times, yet you continued to do this. Want proof? Here we go:

    05-19-07 335AM
    Client opened up IM regarding user password. First warning sent. Informed to use tickets for non emergency stuff.

    5-23-07 106AM
    Client opened up window regarding their DNS issues, sites not showing on some, yet showing on others. Again, something that should have been put into a helpdesk ticket after certain hours. Again, common sense, and client was informed to use helpdesk tickets for non emergency stuff.

    05-26-07 213am
    Once AGAIN, client opened up a window, this time with a sales inquiry????????? At this point, yes, I'd had it, and I probably was a bit offhanded with the client, but after repeaated warnings, the client STILL persisted in harassing me via IM in the early morning hours. Come on now!


    Now, for the oher points:
    #2:
    All companies have cancellation policies that are put into effect. Mine have been there for over 5 years now. I don't charge a setup fee for anything, and I put a great deal of time into securing and hardening the server for most people when I first get in there (and that's above and beyond my software), and keeping things up to date on a month to month basis. A 30 day cancellation policy to ensure that my software is removed, yes, that's a GOOD thing, and that covers MY tail end. In some cases, even that doesn't get everything though.

    #3:
    I love how you seem to know everything that everyone does on your server, despite the fct that , well, you don't. Just because it APPEARS that this is removed doesn't mean that all software is removed from your server. I put a great deal of software in, in many, many places. The 30 day's policy is to ensure that I have the time to go in and make sure EVERYTHING is removed, because the last thing I want is your server mailing me every 5 minutes when you're no longer a client! This policy is pretty strict, because it has to be, because my software is just that, MY software, software -=I=- put together (or in some cases modified) to work with what I need, and you've got no right complaining about a 30 day cancellation policy that you're required to READ before you signup!

    Now, I'll admit, I'm not the most friendly guy in the world. I could care less about being 'friendly' though. I'm not paid to be your 'friend'. I'm paid to be an administrator, something I'm quite quallified to do. If you doubt that, then ask any of my current clients, or hey, here's a thought, head on over to my webpage (in my signature), take a look at my testimonials. They speak (heh) for themselves.

    My business ethics are 100% . There is absolutely nothing immoral, illegal, or unethical about a cancellation policy, or about any of my other ethics.

    My dedication to tasks is unmatched, no matter how you look at it. I've had non-clients message me when I'm ready to go to bed (around 10pm), saying they need a server restore and can I get things running again. I've given above and beyond to each and every client, and non client. Just because there's a few individuals out there that insist on being pains in the *** doesn't make ME a bad guy, it makes their practices wrong, nothing else.

    BTW:
    You forgot to mention that one of those after midnight conversations was made regarding ordering services for a 3rd server. Yeah, poor service, mmmmkay.

    Next time, don't wait a year to post a review, hoping people will forget about things. It'll only make you look bad in the end. There's 2 sides to every story, and that would be the second side to both of these.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    Just another example came to mind of how things really work @ LTN, rather than how they're assumed to work here by a couple of pain in the tail individuals.

    Last year, around this time, I was headed off to vacation, something I do from time to time, get out of town for a couple days. My IM setups told me that a client's server was down. Nothing unusual, unless you consider the circumstances.

    This specific client was 2 days overdue in payment, and hadn't contacted me. In fact,he'd ignored requests to get the matter straightened out immediately with the bank. Legally, I was under no obligation to handle the matter. Ethically, I was under no obligation to handle the matter. The client's contract had expired due to non payment.

    Did I ignore the issue? Not at all. In fact, I silenced the alerts, and rebooted the server.

    This client's server had had issues in the past though, there were a few problems which involved reboots and TP putting in a Knoppix cd, and me , well, me taking them by the hand and telling them how to fix the bootloader. Not a surprise, it's what I'm paid to do.

    The server came back up, alerts stopped going back off, and I went on my merry way. A 12 hour drive laid ahead of us, and we wanted to get somewhere fast, so I did the remote thing.

    3 hours later, system was down, apparently someone ELSE had rebooted it, and there was a major catastrophy. I opened up a ticket with TP, told them what was going on, and , let it go at that, until my IM alerts again went off half hour later, telling me that the server hadn't been rebooted.

    Needless to say, it was a long night, 3, 4 hour conversations with TP staff, trying to get them to do their job and get this guy's server online. We did, finally, and I let it go.

    The next morning, I called the client told him what'd happened, told him NOT to reboot the server and that he really needed to pay his bill on time. He promised he'd get to the bank that day (and he did). I stressed that this client must NOT reboot the server at all, under any uncertain terms until I got back home, because this would happen again.

    Now, we're on Thursday, I'm facing overdraft charges because a client can't pay their bills on time, I'm having all kinds of issues, and supposedly on 'vacation'. I'm not stressed, but definitely not happy, or in vacation mood.

    Over the weekend things get better, client pays, server stays online, until, of course, the time I'm ready to leave. Client calls me saying "mail is not working", and I look at it. Just when I'm about to fix it, the client does exactly what I told him NOT to do, and reboots the server.

    So, now I'm faced with a dilemna, try to get client's server working, or head home. I chewed him a new one (and he deserved it) for not following my instructions to begin with, and told him that I'd have to head to an internet 'cafe' to resolve this. Of course, this cost ME money (around $15, $20), not to mention the roaming fees, and all that, but 2 hours later, we finally get the server up and running.

    Did I pass my own costs on to the client? Not at all. Was I obligated to help him out? Well, considering
    A> his time was used up for the month
    and
    B> I specifically instructed him NOT to do what he did (making this his screwup)

    No, I wasn't. I DID, however, because I felt that it was the best response in that situation. I took the high ground, and that client thanked me for it in the end.

    I could come up with hundreds of examples of stuff like this over an almost 6 year time in business. The fact of the matter is that I get the job done, and I don't stop, no matter what, until it IS done. I'm not a complete hardass, but I say it like it is. If you can't deal with that, or don't use just a tad bit of common sense, you probably won't last long in the industry, anyways.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    965
    A partner of mine used to be a dedicated server customer of linux Tech and he said in his own words that he would never do business with him again.

    I have been searching WHT and i have found a number of similar story’s
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGod View Post
    A partner of mine used to be a dedicated server customer of linux Tech and he said in his own words that he would never do business with him again.

    I have been searching WHT and i have found a number of similar story’s
    Firstly, your 'partner' may post that review, but according to the rules, you are not.

    Without knowing your partner, or who they are, or what they do, I can't post the other side of things. Like I said, there's always two sides, and neither side is 100% correct. Hiding behind a silent 'partner' with < 2 months of reg. time doesn't really lend credibility to your case though.

    Have there been a few stories? Sure, when you're in business 5+ years, you're going to end up with good and bad reviews. it's a fact of life, you can't please everyone, especially when you don't really care to please everyone, but to do your job. I'm good @ what I do, of that, there's no doubt. I do what I can to keep people happy, but let's just say that I'm not going to give away the shop for nothing, which is what most people (especially here) want.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    Firstly, your 'partner' may post that review, but according to the rules, you are not.

    Without knowing your partner, or who they are, or what they do, I can't post the other side of things. Like I said, there's always two sides, and neither side is 100% correct. Hiding behind a silent 'partner' with < 2 months of reg. time doesn't really lend credibility to your case though.

    Have there been a few stories? Sure, when you're in business 5+ years, you're going to end up with good and bad reviews. it's a fact of life, you can't please everyone, especially when you don't really care to please everyone, but to do your job. I'm good @ what I do, of that, there's no doubt. I do what I can to keep people happy, but let's just say that I'm not going to give away the shop for nothing, which is what most people (especially here) want.
    When i say my partner, the order was with my company so im more than entitled to post. We had a large enough public battle with you slagging off everyone involved as normal just sharing ‘OUR’ experience..

    I like it how you sum up 'most people' too.. im sure that 'most people' on here will be happy to know you think so highly of them
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    the order was with my company so im more than entitled to post
    Actually, no you're not, not without providing proof of this. Hiding behind anonymity doesn't get you anywhere. When you can prove that you've been a customer, past, present, whatever, then you can say "I'm more than entitled to post". Until then, you're nothing more than a troll, feeding the fire. In fact, judging by your username, you're looking more and more like someone trying to beef up his or her reputation by trying (weakly) to take down the competition.

    I like it how you sum up 'most people' too.. im sure that 'most people' on here will be happy to know you think so highly of them
    Like it, don't like it, no matter to me. I've been doing business, here, and elsewhere for long enough to know what's what, and to know this to be true. Oh, there's a few exceptions to the rule, but they're far above and beyond.

    This kind of thing happens once a year or so, and is actually mildly amusing. I'm not saying the original post is completely baseless, but by god , it's always amusing to see the same people try the same stuff over and over here.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    In fact, judging by your username, you're looking more and more like someone trying to beef up his or her reputation by trying (weakly) to take down the competition.
    When have i ever posted offering any service remotely related to yours.. infact.. i have no posted offering anything apart from a copy of ubersmith i have.. so thats another groundless comment.
    Last edited by eDedi; 04-03-2008 at 08:45 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    When have i ever posted offering any service remotely related to yours..
    And when did I ever say you did? That's right, I didn't.
    I stated:
    In fact, judging by your username, you're looking more and more like someone trying to beef up his or her reputation by trying (weakly) to take down the competition.
    Just because you haven't (yet) made said posts doesn't mean you won't ever, and aren't now trying to take down what you may deem as a threat to your business.

    Next time, learn to read before you make yourself look bad. I never once suggested you were posting competitive ads, I stated that judging by your username, and your dodgy responses, you were simply out to attempt to take out the competition, and that is still true. The only thing is, it's a weak attempt, and it's only making yourself look worse.

    Careful, you get in much further, you'll need a shovel to dig yourself out. Now, if you will provide valid client information, you stand a chance at redeeming yourself. Until then, however, you look like nothing but a troll, someone trying to take advantage of a situation, adding more fuel to the fire.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    And when did I ever say you did? That's right, I didn't.
    I stated:


    Just because you haven't (yet) made said posts doesn't mean you won't ever, and aren't now trying to take down what you may deem as a threat to your business.

    Next time, learn to read before you make yourself look bad. I never once suggested you were posting competitive ads, I stated that judging by your username, and your dodgy responses, you were simply out to attempt to take out the competition, and that is still true. The only thing is, it's a weak attempt, and it's only making yourself look worse.

    Careful, you get in much further, you'll need a shovel to dig yourself out. Now, if you will provide valid client information, you stand a chance at redeeming yourself. Until then, however, you look like nothing but a troll, someone trying to take advantage of a situation, adding more fuel to the fire.
    I will have no need to dig myself out because i will not offer any service like this lol.. i think its funny that you think i have the skills to do so.. for that i thank you as for making yourself look bad, i will take your advice on that because clearly you have a world of experience in making yourself look bad.

    How am i trying to take out the competition lol. I am not doing the same on rack911's posts am i! i think maybe your just a bit paranoid your lose all your customers, Is it just me... or was there 2-3 others with somthing to say about your services too.. i think you need to start digging yourself
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Greetings:

    1. Linux Tech Network has been around for a very reasonable time as Internet time is measured.

    This speaks volumes because most business fail within the first year or two.

    2. Almost any solid company will have a cancellation policy. Only fly by night companies do not put in the thought about this issue.

    3. It is very common to have strong, experienced, security and administrator professionals to have their own tool kits, custom scripts/code, etc.

    It is also just as common for the removal of such proprietary, often copyrighted software from clients who are or will be canceling.

    Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamicnet View Post
    Greetings:

    1. Linux Tech Network has been around for a very reasonable time as Internet time is measured.

    This speaks volumes because most business fail within the first year or two.

    2. Almost any solid company will have a cancellation policy. Only fly by night companies do not put in the thought about this issue.

    3. It is very common to have strong, experienced, security and administrator professionals to have their own tool kits, custom scripts/code, etc.

    It is also just as common for the removal of such proprietary, often copyrighted software from clients who are or will be canceling.

    Thank you.
    i dont doubt any of that.. but i think his attitude is pathetic
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGod View Post
    i dont doubt any of that.. but i think his attitude is pathetic
    Admins aren't known for their warm-fuzzy attitudes. Does he get the job done?

    We hired Tom to monitor 100+ of our servers and react if any outage is reported. He always reacted within a few short minutes of any alert 24/7/365.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    Admins aren't known for their warm-fuzzy attitudes. Does he get the job done?

    We hired Tom to monitor 100+ of our servers and react if any outage is reported. He always reacted within a few short minutes of any alert 24/7/365.

    --Tina
    Well.. it works both ways to be fair, he is always the first one to complain and post about bad service yet he does not like it when he gets it back.. how does that work? i never said that he cant do the job, i just said that his overall attitude when you have a problem or issue with him is poor!!
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGod View Post
    i dont doubt any of that.. but i think his attitude is pathetic
    And ya wonder why I said you're doing nothing but trolling here. You've not proven you are now , or have ever been a customer of mine. You don't want to go there, so you don't get to make comments like that, pure and simple. If you're not going to man up and say "This is who I am", and at least allow me the proper chance to defend what you say, then by god, you're doing nothing but trolling in this thread.

    In 5 years, I've gained clients, I've lost clients, but in the end the ones that leave usually come back, and all is good. Why? Because I know what I'm doing, because I have the skills to get the job done. Screw the 'attitude', I get from point A to point B . THAT is all it's about. No detours, the job is done.

    Well.. it works both ways to be fair, he is always the first one to complain and post about bad service yet he does not like it when he gets it back
    Actually, I'm not the 'first one'. Usually, you'll find me sitting on my thumbs for a while. If I was the 'first one', there would clearly be a problem. Yes, when things get bad, I'll clearly chew someone a new one if they deserve it, but ONLY if they deserve it.

    On the other hand, I expect the same. If I screw up, I expect to be told about it, and to be allowed the chance to fix that screwup. If I continually screwup the same way over and over again, well, I expect to be shown the door. The problem ? I won't continually screw up.

    My 'overall attitude' doesn't concern you one bit, as you are no a customer, current, past, present, or judging by your own attitude, future. Your attitude, however, is quite concerning, as you're doing nothing but trolling in this thread.

    Again, I have no problem with negative reviews. They're fine, I'm all for it, IF it's well deserved. However, I'm not going to sit back and just let someone post a negative review here and not post the other side of things if I know what they are. That is just wrong.

    I'll just say this and leave it there as far as you're concerned, until you stop trolling here.
    In 5 years, my average customer retention has been 2-4 years. That says a lot right there. I help businesses grow, not just provide administration. I guide customers when I can. You see, you only GET attitude from me when you SHOW attitude to me. When you troll needlessly, you get attitude. You're lucky, actually that I'm feeling rather restrained this morning, despite a very long night and an early morning.
    Last edited by whmcsguru; 04-03-2008 at 12:17 PM.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Dear Linux Tech Network.

    Yes, this is true, you did give me credit later on. However, had I not come back to you (in which case it was in your best interest to give me the credit so I became a customer again) my money would have been gone. At the time I only had one server, which I had disconnected, which means that the server was going to be wiped anyway by the server company, the extra month made no sense. You wouldn't have been getting emails all the time from the server because it would be 1. offline and 2. everything on it taken off. When it comes to your current customers, you DO have good policies, when it comes to someone who doesn't want your services anymore, you don't.

    As for coming back, that's just because I didn't know where else to go and was under the impression that regardless of your policies you were a good admin (which may or not be true, I can't really comment on your quality of being an admin because as I said, at the time I didn't know). I also came back because of the 100 credit (hence why I said it was in your best interest, because you get old clients back).

    You never said not to contact you at midnight. Otherwise I may have known than AOL went to your cell phone or that you were on central coast time. Unless some how I remember the situation completely wrong (which I am confident that I don't), you never said a thing. But this is a rather minor point, seeing as the decorm of the admin is just a bonus.

    As far as point #2, that doesn't excuse the fact 1. There is no reason to remove software that doesn't notify you and more importantly 2. in no way excuses the fact that you removed the software mid month when I was still using the service. Plus, the fact that you are able to harden a server in a day including all the software (which is one of your good sides) implies that 30 days is more than needed.

    As far as #3, I know there are things I don't know about, however, I do know that you removed the ConfigServer firewall, which as I said was unnecessary to remove, and, if you removed one thing, it is also quite likely you removed others at the same time.


    As I said, I'm not saying you're a poor admin, which is why I used you a second time. However, not being friendly, your cancellation policy, and your policy of removing all the software from people's servers (you of course should remove software that notifies you of something) makes me not want to deal with you again.
    TitanTutorials.com, Making Flash Tutorials Affordable Again, Always Up For Custom Jobs
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Dear AH-Tina

    If I didn't make that clear already, the review had nothing to do with quality of service, but rather attitude and what happens when you cancel. If you never piss him off or cancel these are two things you will never see. However, I'm just stating what happens when you do and why I don't plan to use his services again.
    TitanTutorials.com, Making Flash Tutorials Affordable Again, Always Up For Custom Jobs
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    Quote Originally Posted by zildjian2000 View Post
    As far as point #2, that doesn't excuse the fact 1. There is no reason to remove software that doesn't notify you and more importantly 2. in no way excuses the fact that you removed the software mid month when I was still using the service. Plus, the fact that you are able to harden a server in a day including all the software (which is one of your good sides) implies that 30 days is more than needed.
    His cancellation policy says 30 days notice, so that he has time to remove his stuff. That doesn't mean it will take him 30 days - it means that he's not about to reschedule his life and drop everything that he's doing at a moments notice because you decide to cancel.

    Yes, there is reason to remove proprietary software. We do it and other management companies do it as well. Why? Because WE wrote our software, WE use it in order to make OUR jobs easier and WE have exclusive rights to it. You want to continue using it or have the ability to backwards engineer it when we're gone? Its going to cost you far more than the monthly administration fee you were charged.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    North of some border
    Posts
    5,589
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGod View Post
    When i say my partner, the order was with my company
    LinuxGod, could you please provide details to help us verify that you've used Linux Tech's services, either in this thread or by using the Report button to send your message to the helpdesk. This is a standard question we ask to verify that comments on providers are from people who have first-hand experience with them.

    Thanks!

    Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

    "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    Quote Originally Posted by zildjian2000 View Post
    Dear AH-Tina

    If I didn't make that clear already, the review had nothing to do with quality of service, but rather attitude and what happens when you cancel. If you never piss him off or cancel these are two things you will never see. However, I'm just stating what happens when you do and why I don't plan to use his services again.

    I've pissed him off, trust me. I've even fired him once, years ago, because we butted heads on something he was right about...and he wouldn't back down just because I was paying him (bastard!). Thing is, when I needed his help again - he was 100% professional and held absolutely no grudge. Not many people can do that and I have an immeasurable amount of respect for those who can.

    He tells it like he sees it and doesn't care if it ruffles feathers and that sometimes doesn't set well with some people.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    I do know that you removed the ConfigServer firewall which as I said was unnecessary to remove, and, if you removed one thing, it is also quite likely you removed others at the same time.
    Which, quite frankly, was installed by myself. Now, not knowing everything, here's a tip for you.

    I don't install default CSF configurations, I install CSF configurations that I use to work with MY servers and MY services. IOW, this is a custom version of software, so yes, there WAS a need to uninstall it. I don't go out of my way to deliberately make a server less secure, but, I'm not going to let your server keep querying mine, or mailing mine when someone is naughty.

    Before you go out there making accusations, get facts, don't ever assume anything, because you're going to be shown wrong.

    You never said not to contact you at midnight.
    Trust me, I looked it up. I told you more than once. I keep insane logs of everything, partly because eventually I need them, partly because I'm just crazy like that. I told you more than once to not contact me via IM late at night.

    There is no reason to remove software that doesn't notify you
    Yes there is. It's called 'calling home'. All server software (or most of it anyways)installed by me calls home to me over time, making sure that it's the latest version, or it's something special. This, of course, coupled with the fact that most of the software installed is customized by me. You can always reinstall the uncustomized software, that's your choice, but you don't get to fire me AND keep my knowledge and experience. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

    30 days is more than needed.
    Wow, really? Good to know
    </sarcasm>
    A 30 day cancellation policy has been around since day 1. In some cases, I'll waive that, but in most, I won't. When a customer such as yourself shows such a clear lack of respect for my personal time, then you'd best believe I'm not going to waive that. Again, I don't show attitude until it's shown to me.

    You can say I have an 'attitude' all you want, that's dandy, I don't care. You don't, however, get to come in here and accuse me of improper actions such as you've done, when those accusations are baseless. You don't get to come in here a year later and cry about '30 days policy' when it was pointed out to you on signup. You don't get to come here and complain about 'attitude' when you show a complete lack of respect for my personal time and space repeatedly.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  27. #27
    Well I think that everything that needs to be said has been said, you have seen my review, tom's response and others who have used Linux Tech Network's services (both good and bad). I just wanted to get people more informed, and now that everyone has both sides of the story and reviews from both sides of the fence I think this thread has met its logical end.

    Unless Linux Tech Network objects (seeing as since it is about them it is just as much their thread and as mine) I suggest the mods close this thread to prevent it from becoming a flame thread or people posting who have had no experience with Linux Tech Network from posting.
    TitanTutorials.com, Making Flash Tutorials Affordable Again, Always Up For Custom Jobs
      0 Not allowed!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chennai , India
    Posts
    4,608
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGod View Post
    i dont doubt any of that.. but i think his attitude is pathetic

    Well if the job is done with perfection then why bother his attitude. Do you need a sweet person who does your work in words but nothing more than that.
      0 Not allowed!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    Quote Originally Posted by zildjian2000 View Post
    Well I think that everything that needs to be said has been said, you have seen my review, tom's response and others who have used Linux Tech Network's services (both good and bad). I just wanted to get people more informed, and now that everyone has both sides of the story and reviews from both sides of the fence I think this thread has met its logical end.

    Unless Linux Tech Network objects (seeing as since it is about them it is just as much their thread and as mine) I suggest the mods close this thread to prevent it from becoming a flame thread or people posting who have had no experience with Linux Tech Network from posting.
    Closing a thread should really only be done if it breaks out into a major fistfight. Personally, I don't see any reason to close it right away, though I am more than curious as to who the individual hiding anon is, mainly because I actually DO care about what people think (sometimes too much).

    Of course, it's really not up to either of us, but to the mods. If they feel it's getting out of hand, they'll close it no matter what either of us say
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  30. #30
    I never had no problems with Linux Tech, although its been a few years since he's done work for us. I think he did an upgrade from a Kernel 2.4 machine to (different OS) kernel 2.6 without the benefit of having a KVM, or cdrom drive for that matter. Had to be a total PITA, but it was done without problems. Not an easy task. He also did several other things here and there, and I never had any problems.
      0 Not allowed!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South Jersey - USA
    Posts
    137

    * food for thought - cheese steaks vs server management ?

    Linux-Tech

    Just a wise word...

    I had someone come to me asking about you guys and if we would recommend you. I said no. Why - because of how you responded here.

    Sadly - the customer is not always right... but then again neither is the service provider in this case.

    When we live in this world where someone can say it like it is - state they are unhappy - it kinda stinks that it is hard to defend yourself without sharing information... However - That is the nature of the beast.
    I would suggest instead asking others to post why they like you.

    Happy Customers are always your best defense.
    Building your own case - no matter how right you are... still makes you look... well.... how can I say this to get around the censors... * crappy *

    I don't doubt your talents - but the business acumen - OUCH.

    -- short quick story ---

    The other day I was in front of our data center (401 North Broad in Philly)
    buying a cheese steak from vendor.

    The guy in front of me was arguing w/ the guy in the cart because he ordered the special.

    The Special is a cheese steak / bag of chips and a can of soda. $5.00

    The customer grabbed a 24oz bottle. The Vendor told him it would be $8.50

    The customer said - your special says $5.00 / the argued ...

    12 ounces of soda for $3.50 ?

    The customer refused to take payment and took the cheese steak - and dumped it all over the guys counter.

    The vendor asked me "Can you believe that guy ?"

    I answered I can't believe you!

    I asked how often the guys comes to the cart - he said a few times a week...
    and now... that guy will never return.

    They guy works for SunGard Services - Imagine what must have been said in that office ?

    How many people walk to the other side of the block to a different vendor now?

    Yes - the vendor was right...
    But it was all in the delivery.

    The point here is simple - in defending yourself you are actually hurting yourself!


    You might be right... but the delivery is so wrong that I fear you are scaring others off.

    Food for thought from someone who has been there.


    PS - the customer is not always right.
    I once got a phone call on Christmas morning from a hosting client demanding help with his new PC and wireless hook-up stating the internet is down - Fix it now.

    I told him to pound sand...
    while it made me happy @ the time -

    (a better move would have been to tell him we will bill for emergency services for fixing his portion of the internet and then forwarding his call to Al Gore ... )
    Typo3USA - Typo3 USA Template, Extension Development and Hosting.

    PhilaNetworks.com - DataCenter Management, Hosting & Remote Hands across the Delaware Valley.
      0 Not allowed!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    271
    Sounds like the guy is a good tech, but bad with customer relations. Just my 2 cents. I have NEVER used his service or spoke to him. But I guess when it comes down to having your server fixed or having a job done, it really doesn't matter how the tech is with his attitude. As long the job gets done.

    just my 2 cents.

    -Zim
    ░▒▓ STOP!
    ░▒▓
    ░▒▓ DO NOT Host with DoNotHosting!!!
    ░▒▓
    RULES, LIMITS, and MORE rules.
      0 Not allowed!

  33. #33
    Greetings:

    Quote Originally Posted by hostmedic View Post
    -- short quick story ---

    The other day I was in front of our data center (401 North Broad in Philly) buying a cheese steak from vendor.

    The guy in front of me was arguing w/ the guy in the cart because he ordered the special.

    The Special is a cheese steak / bag of chips and a can of soda. $5.00

    The customer grabbed a 24oz bottle. The Vendor told him it would be $8.50

    The customer said - your special says $5.00 / the argued ...

    12 ounces of soda for $3.50 ?

    The customer refused to take payment and took the cheese steak - and dumped it all over the guys counter.

    The vendor asked me "Can you believe that guy ?"

    I answered I can't believe you!

    I asked how often the guys comes to the cart - he said a few times a week... and now... that guy will never return.

    They guy works for SunGard Services - Imagine what must have been said in that office ?

    How many people walk to the other side of the block to a different vendor now?

    Yes - the vendor was right...
    But it was all in the delivery.

    Given the customer in question wanted to commit theft (that's the blunt way of looking at it, what would have been a delivery that didn't allow the customer to steal?

    BTW, if I was the vendor, a $3.50 loss every time because of theft adds up so maybe the customer is not wanted (I'm not stating the SunGuard employee tried to steal every time)?

    Of note, I'm not trying to argue for the vendor, but I would like to know what the vendor could have done differently where the customer didn't walk away with something they didn't pay for, and not be abused in the future (allow crossing the line once...).

    Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile
      0 Not allowed!

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    Unless there becomes some sort of a major update to this thread, this will probably be my last reply in here

    hostmedic:
    Personally, I don't care whether you recommend me, or not, but to do so (or not) without firsthand experience of services is unprofessional, and rather petty.

    Don't think that someone is ALWAYS the way they are on WHT. In fact, if you think that, then you're very, very sadly mistaken. Personally, I view WHT as a minorigy professionals, and majority of people who think they know it all and lack any sort of professionalism or expertise. WHT is not my target market, though I do run an ad here every few months.

    My attitude is just that, my attitude. It's my cross to bear, and it's also a benefit to any client who really uses it. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm actually a timid guy until you start deliberately trying to piss me off, or you just show flat out repeated incompetence, which I have absolutely zero tollerance for. In most cases (about 90-95%), there is no problem, which is why customers stick around for years, and some actually come BACK , and like Tina said, I don't mention it again, as if nothing happened .

    It comes down to this, really:
    You're not paying for an 'attitude', for someone to be your 'friend', or for someone to be your tutor or guide. You're paying for someone to do a job, that's all, just for someone to get you from A to B. Attitude has no factor in that, and, doesn't even usually show up. When you continually act without respect for me, my time, or my business, then yes, it will come up, because I have zero tollerance for that.

    Is having an 'attitude' here (or anywhere else) unprofessional? No. Do I tell customers to go f' off? No (well, there might be one or two that pushed my buttons that far). Does an 'attitude' affect how I do my job? No.

    Another thing to remember here is that all communication on the internet is text. With text, it's very hard to tell influx, tone, or whether a person is being serious or not. In fact, it's almost impossible to tell.

    I treat people with the same respect that I want to be treated myself. That is to say that I don't open up IM windows at midnight with questions that are not urgent, I don't go into things with an attitude (despite past performance in most cases), but if one is shown to me, I'll throw it right back.

    I'm not unlike anyone else in this forum. When confronted with the same exact situations, anyone else would handle things the very same way.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South Jersey - USA
    Posts
    137

    heard ya

    Quote Originally Posted by dynamicnet View Post
    Greetings:

    ...but I would like to know what the vendor could have done differently where the customer didn't walk away with something they didn't pay for, and not be abused in the future (allow crossing the line once...).

    Thank you.
    I think it was more in the delivery of his message.

    it was along these lines

    You want that you give me $3.50 now.
    Customer asked why the sign stated 1 thing - and he misunderstood the new price change...

    Of course I am sure I could have explained better ...

    The point is - it is always in the delivery... How we say things sometimes makes all the difference...

    Who we say them to as well carries weight...

    I feel they were both wrong -
    1. the vendor for yelling @ the customer when the customer asked a question
    2. the customer for being an idiot

    thats kinda how the cookies crumble - its hard when your right ..
    Typo3USA - Typo3 USA Template, Extension Development and Hosting.

    PhilaNetworks.com - DataCenter Management, Hosting & Remote Hands across the Delaware Valley.
      0 Not allowed!

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    South Jersey - USA
    Posts
    137

    *

    Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    ...
    Another thing to remember here is that all communication on the internet is text. With text, it's very hard to tell influx, tone, or whether a person is being serious or not. In fact, it's almost impossible to tell.
    Please don't take it as if I were attacking you - and if you feel that way please accept my apologies.

    Sadly - many people want to provide their clients with those people who are going to be nice - friendly - etc...

    since I do not know you personally - I cant really say either way...

    However - I know I would not send a client your way due to what I read...
    You are so right -

    It is hard to hear voice inflection in written text -
    Except perhaps when they are messaging you in the middle of the night all in CAPS

    btw - this is something I struggled with some time ago - and had to learn to deal with.

    customer Service and Tech Support are 2 different animals...
    many days I wish they did not need to share the same cage...
    Typo3USA - Typo3 USA Template, Extension Development and Hosting.

    PhilaNetworks.com - DataCenter Management, Hosting & Remote Hands across the Delaware Valley.
      0 Not allowed!

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by hostmedic View Post
    The vendor asked me "Can you believe that guy ?"

    I answered I can't believe you!
    I don't think everybody would answer the same as you
      0 Not allowed!

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    187
    I have been in business 10 years and have used linux-tech.net continuously for 4 years. I highly recommend him.

    I have in the past, and currently, used other admins too; so I have a baseline for comparison.

    Frankly, if the people who don't like him would stop going back for more service, his current customers would be happy that he has the extra time (although he already goes the 'extra mile')

    He does more than you pay for ... and when there is a crisis ... he performs like a superman!

    As a matter of fact, I think I will paypal him a 'tip' right now.
      0 Not allowed!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    Wow, that was some tip there, Tom all I've got to say to that is thank you.

    @ zildjian & Chris :
    All I can say is that I'm sorry you weren't happy with the service provided. I do go out of my way to provide the best service imaginable to my clients, as I think has been shown in here. Even clients that have pissed me off and have come back (and yes, Chris, you have to admit you are one of those) have been treated fairly and professionally. I am under no obligation to re-accept a client, but I tend to do so, as a rule, unless they've been extremely problematic in the past.

    @ LinuxGod:
    I'm assuming that since you haven't spoken again, you haven't verified that you are, or have been, a customer. Whatever beef you have, all I can say is let it go. Of course, you don't have to, but using pre-formed misconceptions isn't good.

    @ hostmedic:
    I understand that you have your own opinions and methods of doing things, and while I might disagree with them, I can't fault you for that. Of course you weren't specifically 'attacking' me, I get that, you were voicing an opinion. All I can say is that it was an ill formed opinion, based off of conversations in a place that is (typically) less than professional, and ask that you just give me a chance, rather than going off an ill formed opinion.

    @ Everyone else:
    I do hope that after reading through this thread you see that this was only the opinion of one or two clients, and that the strong majority of them do, in fact enjoy the relationships they have with me. Sure, I'm not always going to be the most pleasant person to work with, but, when you look at it, neither is anyone else.



    I took some time out this afternoon and this morning to do some reflecting on a lot of things, trying to get a new perspective on everything, and added fuel for the fire. Even after 5+ years (which yes, does feel like a damn lifetime), I'm here, and I'm happy to be here. It's clients like those that posted in the thread here that lead me to the decision that I'd really rather be doing nothing else at all, but what I am. Thank you all.
    Last edited by whmcsguru; 04-05-2008 at 05:44 PM.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details
      0 Not allowed!

  40. #40
    I fail to see why linux-tech's "attitude" has anything to do with the technical competence that he was hired to do.

    The original poster specifically mentioned that
    Personally, I think the original poster's "review" was pretty sad, and obviously he has a bit of an axe to grind since he disagreed with the cancellation policy that he AGREED TO when hiring linux-tech in the first place.

    This "review" shows more about the original poster's inability to read the fine print then it does about linux-tech's ability to perform the job he was hired for.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •