Spam filtering cPanel/WHM

Currently having a minor issue with a client, in regards to the amount of spam he receives. SpamAssain takes about 50 emails each day (24 hours period), and he is left with about 1 or 2 spam emails he have to manually delete.

Somebody got any ideas what to do/what to respond to this client with ?

I personally think thats just something he has to live with. For 1.59 $ each month, he cant be asking for a spamfilter that cost the double each month.

i think you are doing more than enough for the money he pays.

What the client pays doesn't matter. You're still getting paid for a service, whether it's $2 or $25 month. If you don't want to provide support for that low of a price, raise your prices, pretty simple.

As far as only deleting one or two mails, nothing is perfect, even I have to delete an email or two a day, or rather report them to my email system as spam, but at the end of the day it's only one or two. Try running a few days without it, you'll be thankful for only one or two.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

We have servers with SpamAssain on, we had a customer who complained he was not getting spam because alot of his work came from those dodgy IP's.

We have since altered the Smartmail so all spam is delete except for that one customer. I was getting between 500-600 in 12 hours since we put the filters on I get about 2-3 which is alot better.

You need to point out that SpamAssain RBL's will get rid of most of the spam but nothing is going to cut it out altogether as the spammers will and do find ways off getting past filters.

Another alternative, honestly is to not use SA at all, and to go with something like ASSP . There are a couple of mods to get it to work with CPanel, and the paid one ($20/yr) is actually pretty good.

SA hogs up the server like nothing I've ever seen, what with custom filters, all that garbage. Between SA and Exim, they can't cover what ASSP does before things even GET to Exim, or the level of checking that goes on. Honestly, you're better off with ASSP. I've been using it the past couple of years and have had no major problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    There are a couple of mods to get it to work with CPanel, and the paid one ($20/yr) is actually pretty good.
    I believe you are referring to ASSP Deluxe?

Link:
    http://www.grscripts.com/

I've been considering ASSP for a while now, but linux-tech, will the software automatically convert existing SA filters or will clients have to be re-add them under cPanel to work with the ASSP setup?

Yes, that's the one I was referring to.

ASSP has absolutely no user configurable 'filters', which means a less loaded down system. What ASSP Deluxe does instead is let users configure which checks they'd like to add, and which they'd like to not add on a per domain basis inside of CPanel itself, and it'll show them what's been caught where, and tell them how to whitelist something, or let them turn off whichever checks they want.

The benefit to doing things this way is this:
    With SpamAssassin, I've seen countless times where user filters have taken down a system, a pretty hefty system too. Why? Because they had too many 'spam filters' in place.

With ASSP, only admins control the few filters there are (regexp, etc), so that likelyhood is much less.

Of course, the difference between ASSP and SA is (at least to me) night and day, but those are just my own opinions on the matter. SA works, to a degree, when you've got enough plugins and filters in play, but it doesn't work as well as I've seen ASSP work.

I second linux-tech's opinions. i have a spam user on one of my machines, who receives...a LOT of spam daily. SA was taking down the server daily. Switched to ASSP and the default installation started blocking 95% of his spam immediately. Greylisting is great for that. The only time I see server load somewhat spike is when a huge attachment comes through that needs scanned, but that's not really related to ASSP.