New "option" to reserve names at NetSol

FYI: NetSol no longer automatically reserves searched names. If you check a domain at NetSol, and it's available, you now get this javascript pop-up when you leave the page without ordering.

Thank you for using networksolutions.com to search for your domain. If you have not made a purchase decision yet, we may be able to reserve the domain for 4 days to give you more time. Reserving the domain will help protect your search from front running. Reserved names will be available for registration only at networksolutions.com. Please note that during these 4 days anyone can register these domains through our site. To remove the domains from a reserved status please call 1-800-333-7680. For more information, please visit our home page.Please click "ok" to reserve all eligible domains that you have just searched.
    OK Cancel

Not sure why they couldn't think of this simple popup before creating such a mess!
    And, not sure what ICANN is doing or pretending to be doing regarding such stupid actions of NetSol.

So, i check some 100 domains today and agree to that 4-day lock period. And when they are just released back, i again do the same thing. What would happen to the legitimate person trying to register one of those domains in this case?
    TUXG Hosting - shared hosting simplified
    Linux | BSD ~ Joomla | Drupal
    o 99.9% Uptime o Anytime Phone Support o 30-day Moneyback

If they don't know any better they would have to register at NetSol. If they were informed they would know to call NetSol at 1-800-333-7680 to remove the lock and would then be able to buy at any registrar. (must be quick)
    Last edited by Techno; 04-03-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    If they don't know any better they would have to register at NetSol. If they were informed they would know to call NetSol at 1-800-333-7680 to remove the lock and would then be able to buy at any registrar. (must be quick)
    In order not to disappoint our client, we had to register one domain at their "very reasonable" rate Their rate doesn't strengthen their argument that they are doing it to protect their users.

We waste more money than the cost of the domain on phone calls!
    Aren't there better ways to handle domain stealers?
    TUXG Hosting - shared hosting simplified
    Linux | BSD ~ Joomla | Drupal
    o 99.9% Uptime o Anytime Phone Support o 30-day Moneyback

Now, after they implemented this I think it's a great feature..
    It feels a bit secure, but I still think they should do it only for logged in users and then reserve it to that account.

Quote Originally Posted by tuxg View Post
    That's supposedly the reason why Network Solutions is doing this. If there are, better tell them registrars.

Quote Originally Posted by tuxg View Post
    In order not to disappoint our client, we had to register one domain at their "very reasonable" rate Their rate doesn't strengthen their argument that they are doing it to protect their users.

We waste more money than the cost of the domain on phone calls!
    I really don't see the problem anymore..

1. you don't have to search for availability on their website, there's /plenty/ of other websites and tools to do so.
    2. You are asked if you want to reserve and you are aware what it does.
    3. You have multiple choices.

Its a pretty low tactic by Netsol
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!