Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post What is your opinion on Burst.net ?

I tried doing a search for recent reviews on burst but couldn't really find any. I am currently a new client with them and i'm not really sure how I feel at the moment.

Pros
    -------

-Server was a great price.
    -VPS addons are also a great price. (cpanel, fantastico, ip addresses, and etc)

Cons
    -------

-Billing Department seems to be really slow with ticket replies and I really do not like that your charged 3 weeks ahead of time.
    -Sales Department is also pretty slow and does not really communicate well with client.
    -Future addons such as IP blocks require setup fee's. If you order it at the initial setup of your server you can avoid the setup fee.

Highlights of my recent experience with them...

-Server went down because of a bad power supply. The power supply was diagnosed and replaced in less than 20 minutes.

-Was billed for a cPanel license that was not ordered for my domain/ip. I submitted a ticket and it was not resolved in a timely manner and I ended up calling them and spoke to "Marne". Once I was done speaking to Marne the charge was removed.

-Ordered cPanel license and was charged for it. The only issue is I still have not received the license for that IP addresses and i'm still being charged. I had Marne remove it from my charges and received a credit. Then the following pay period I was billed again for the license. I currently have a ticket open since 03-28-2008 - 05:01PM and still have not gotten a reply. I will call them up tomorrow if its not replied before business hours.

-Ordered a block of 10 IP addresses and i'm still waiting after 72hours. I will submit a ticket for this if I do not receive it in the next 12 hours.

-One network interruption that lasted about 10-15 minutes.

Overall, I would have to give the following rating

1(Bad)-5(Good) Scale
    Support - 4
    Network - 4
    Sales - 3
    Billing - 2

Overall - 3.5ish
    I would rate them higher if they could maybe do an upgrade on the sales, billing script, and communication.

I haven't dealt directly with Burst (with GeekRack who resells Burst) however, right now my opinion is real, real, real low. I'll explain this later in my 'GeekRack - Anyone Home' thread.

I only pop-in here now because I ran into the same issue re: additional IPs, albeit through GeekRack, that were never received and that I finally told them to just forget about (as I was being charged anyway with nothing to show for it.). I've seen the same complaints in other GeekRack customer threads, so I don't think it's isolated and probably not attributable to GeekRack itself.

Doesn't matter though, some company rep will jump in here at some point and explain why it isn't their fault...probably being in fact the customers. Seems to be the way things go.

Sorry, I'm a bit disgruntled right now and not entirely objective. At this point, I'd jump off a bridge before ever having anything to do with Burst or any reseller of their services again. Will provide the details in the above-mentioned thread later today

Quote Originally Posted by DGR2U View Post
    I haven't dealt directly with Burst (with GeekRack who resells Burst) however, right now my opinion is real, real, real low. I'll explain this later in my 'GeekRack - Anyone Home' thread.

I only pop-in here now because I ran into the same issue re: additional IPs, albeit through GeekRack, that were never received and that I finally told them to just forget about (as I was being charged anyway with nothing to show for it.). I've seen the same complaints in other GeekRack customer threads, so I don't think it's isolated and probably not attributable to GeekRack itself.

Doesn't matter though, some company rep will jump in here at some point and explain why it isn't their fault...probably being in fact the customers. Seems to be the way things go.

Sorry, I'm a bit disgruntled right now and not entirely objective. At this point, I'd jump off a bridge before ever having anything to do with Burst or any reseller of their services again. Will provide the details in the above-mentioned thread later today
    I can happily say that I haven't ran into any of those issues with BurstNET, we had three servers setup in under 5 hours yesterday.

I haven't had issues with additional IP's either, they're generally quite prompt.

Think this is a Geekrack issue.
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.

I submitted a ticket a couple of hours ago about the IP addresses. I hope to hear a response back from them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by fumiNET View Post
    Think this is a Geekrack issue.
    Right. You can hardly fault BurstNET for a bad experience with someone else.

I've been a happy BurstNET client for over six years.

I can't say it's all been roses. But I'm still there. And I'm still there because of the outstanding value and service they provide.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    Right. You can hardly fault BurstNET for a bad experience with someone else.

I've been a happy BurstNET client for over six years.

I can't say it's all been roses. But I'm still there. And I'm still there because of the outstanding value and service they provide.
    I've been using them on and off personally, for about 4 years. The service I received from them is what led me to choose them as a supplier - and I am damn glad that I did.

Their value for money is also absurd, in a good way.

Yay, BurstNET buddies.

I just wanted to point out the performance from support, server, and network has been more than I expected. I just wished that the billing and sales issue were more prompt.

Dan,

Has apologized about the delay in the ticket and I now have the IP addresses. I just have one more thing to resolve and will call later during Fridays business hours.

My only complaints with Burst are:

1) Took 6 days to get one of my servers online
    2) The way they do their billing.
    3) Integration of Billing, Support, and ordering.
    Daniel | Server Complete, LLC
    Windows VPS // Dedicated Servers // Backup Services
    Wholly owned hardware and self operated network (AS19531) in Jacksonville, FL

I would also love if they did add a system such as billing, support, and ordering. I find it a hassle to remember 2 different type of account information.

Hey everyone,

How would you rate network uptime there?

Hi,
    Now its the time to write our own reviews from burst.net
    As I had informed from staff,we had 2 ips block ordered,one week now and no delivery,until now(1x10 & 1xfull class c)
    We had much servers with them,and our tickets about this isccue is being unresolved and unanswered,1 week now.
    When we open tickets to support department,they move it to network department and we NEVER receive an answer.
    Thats the only complaint,4 months now.
    But I think,this isnt acceptable.
    Neither reply - neither resolve.
    Regards

ZaxiHosting: This is being looked into correctly...the issue was moved into Level-1 with our Networking Dept a little while ago, so it will be resolved ASAP today.

<< I would also love if they did add a system such as billing, support, and ordering. I find it a hassle to remember 2 different type of account information. >>

We are currently testing out new systems for this, and have been for some time now---we expect to make a decision on this in the near future, and and begin migrating to the new system in upcoming months. Our existing system (Platypus from Boardtown/Tucows) is reliable and functional for us, and served us well for many many years, however, it just has not grown with the times and is lacking in functionality and features we are looking for---so it is time for us to move on....

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    ZaxiHosting: This is being looked into correctly...the issue was moved into Level-1 with our Networking Dept a little while ago, so it will be resolved ASAP today.

<< I would also love if they did add a system such as billing, support, and ordering. I find it a hassle to remember 2 different type of account information. >>

We are currently testing out new systems for this, and have been for some time now---we expect to make a decision on this in the near future, and and begin migrating to the new system in upcoming months. Our existing system (Platypus from Boardtown/Tucows) is reliable and functional for us, and served us well for many many years, however, it just has not grown with the times and is lacking in functionality and features we are looking for---so it is time for us to move on....
    Definitely interested in hearing more about this.

I am looking forward to the upgrade and thanks Benji for answering my phone call (if your Benji ).

Quote Originally Posted by DjiXas View Post
    Hey everyone,

How would you rate network uptime there?
    I have read many many things about Burst having uptime issues... But honestly, it isn't as bad as people say it is. I have several servers in the BurstNET DC and have not had a problem with downtime in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Daniel View Post
    I have several servers in the BurstNET DC and have not had a problem with downtime in a long time.
    What interval are you monitoring your servers at? 1 min? 5 min?
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

Quote Originally Posted by spaethco View Post
    What interval are you monitoring your servers at? 1 min? 5 min?
    Some 3 min and some at 10 mins...

19. its a love hate relationship the prices are fantastic but the support/networking/sales is pretty poor, i would like to here more on there new billing support system, i think if they can change it to something better i will be pleased with them

They are great if you are on a budget
    Damien

Orangewebhosting,

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by the support is pretty poor? The servers are pretty much self-managed besides a few things.

How is the Burst.net network? IS their network any good?
    My network of web sites:
    xBox-Talk.com - Balando.com - NewRoomTalk.com
    HumorHour.com - Ordigno.com - Playword.info

Quote Originally Posted by HakonHoy View Post
    How is the Burst.net network? IS their network any good?
    Try it for yourself:

http://burst.net/bigtest.tgz

I average about 2100 - 3400kbps while downloading that file.

I get around 480kbps on a 100Mbit line from Norway. Thats ok I guess.
    My network of web sites:
    xBox-Talk.com - Balando.com - NewRoomTalk.com
    HumorHour.com - Ordigno.com - Playword.info

I get 3MBPS on a single thread from the other side of the US, and 9.7MBPS with multiple threads.

Burst has been pretty good for me. My biggest problem with them is that they are pretty unorganized. all the different forms aren't connected, theres no logon system or anything. There support has been useful and fairly fast though. I really live the VPS control panel pricing, as its very affordable.

I highly agree Matt... I am not a fan of the way all of their individual systems work together. The billing system is the worst thing I have ever seen.

If they can improve the core systems, then they will be great. Like I've said earlier I have not really had any problems with them or anything

I have been with BurstNet for a while now and the only real complaint i have it there billing system, it makes it so much more difficult to manage our own billing/support when we have to go to multiple systems to get anything done on the BurstNet end. Other than that they have been great, great prices, and fantastic support.
    TM Hosting
    http://www.tmhosting.net
    DDOS Firewalled Dedicated Servers
    Offering Semi-Managed services since 2003

I just had my current ticket resolved with Marne. She was very helpful and a pleasure to speak with.

The issue with the cPanel license is that cPanel was charging them, when they never even delivered the license to burst or I. It was really a blessing to finally have this resolved and anyone who is considering Burst to give them a shot.

I'm testing them out for a secondary server.. Their price was ok.

Here's the rundown:

They require paperwork to set up billing.

Setup was very slow, several days.

The server was not up to date with patches.

Network problems have plagued the machine since I've gotten it. (it's still to this day not functioning as a web server)

Support takes very long to respond and not fix problems. on quick comment and 18 hours later still no effort on fixing the problem.

---

I'm very happy with the test as I can now eliminate them from my list.

Quote Originally Posted by SC-Daniel View Post
    Try it for yourself:

http://burst.net/bigtest.tgz

I average about 2100 - 3400kbps while downloading that file.
    Oddly enough, not bad.
    2008-04-09 06:29:24 (8.37 MB/s) - `bigtest.tgz' saved [129674464/129674464]

Was expecting something a lot lower.

Thinking about using Burst/a burst reseller

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
    Oddly enough, not bad.
    2008-04-09 06:29:24 (8.37 MB/s) - `bigtest.tgz' saved [129674464/129674464]

Was expecting something a lot lower.

Thinking about using Burst/a burst reseller
    Can't fault their network, great speeds.

If ONLY my server with them was running on the same network as their test file.

I still can't access my machine.

<< If ONLY my server with them was running on the same network as their test file. I still can't access my machine. >>

We only have one network, and it is the same as the network with our test file--although there are different segments for UNMETERED and regular server types, etc...

If you are having issues, it is not the network currently, and it is specific to your server/port. Please inquire with [email protected] and we can look into the issue for you.

Like I said, support was not helpful for two days. Is anyone there? Do they just hope I go away?

It turns out that the machine was just too locked down when you gave it to me, turning off port 80. Never had that happen to me before. It'd just be nice if there was someone there that could have helped me.

We have 24/7/365 on-site staff.
    You are speaking in generics here, without specific details (ticket numbers referenced would be fine even...) emailed to [email protected], we really can't investigate the issue and assist you. We have no idea who you are, or which server you are referring to at this point.

Sounds like some IPTABLES issue or something though...

opinions of burst.net

1. Billing dept (Marna) is rude, slow and unprofessional.
    2. Sales dept was fast to provide estimate however the post sales was bad, lack of technical knowledge, etc,
    3. Network does not support NFS,,, requires setup fee approx $70-90 USD to enable nfs ,,,
    (may also do other network blocking that wasnt advised during signup)

if they fix their billing dept and customer support, we may re-try burst.net's service in the future due to pricing.

My opinions of BurstNET:

- system of billing/support seems like a mess for me, but it's only a minor issue, if it works, it's fine in the end

+ support have been EXCELLENT for us, they have gone way past un-managed to help with a couple of issues, brilliant stuff
    + network has been fast and reliable too
    + value for money is absolutely outstanding, good stuff BurstNET
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

I thought I'd give some more details on our experience with BurstNET.

Billing: Always seem to respond in a timely fashion for me, had an issue with my invoices - and Marna responded very helpfully.

Network: Fast and reliable, our Nagios monitor has reported zero issues.

Sales: Never had an issue, pre-sales or post-sales. They respond fairly quickly, and seem to provision servers pretty fast as well.

Support: They've been great to us. Had something which required booting up in single-user mode, they did it quickly (< 30 minutes) and fixed the problem.

Value: Couldn't get better.

Nagios monitor cant be up to much then considering the threads I see on here about their network
    Damien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast