Any good software for making howto-videos?

Hi,

We're planning to make a good video howto section for our services but we have no idea what software to use?

Are there any free softwares around? A software that can be used to record only part of the screen action would be good in this case. The software must allow also adding comments to the videos(i.e "click here" etc).

I like Camtasia. Although it is not free, there is a free trial at http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

I like Debugmode's Wink (I've not got enough posts to provide a link - but a Google search for "debugmode wink" will provide the results) myself - free of charge, record only set windows/screen areas, add comments etc.

I use AimOne ScreenRecorder, didn't try many others out though.

I use Adobe Captivate 3. Works great.

Captivate looks good. Bit expensive though.

I know this is "slightly" off topic but the price for custom demo's from a company such as www.demodemo.com can come out MUCH cheaper then 1 license of Captivate or any other expensive software.

Think your decision through thoroughly!

Quote Originally Posted by kemuel View Post
    Captivate looks good. Bit expensive though.
    Worth every penny and actually fairly 'cheap' for its capabilities and ease of use if you create demos constantly for clients. If you just want some random ones for your hosting service though, I agree with the above poster.

We've been using DemoBuilder for over 2 years, and swear by it. Others you may want to look at are:

DemoBuilder - www.demo-builder.com
    Camtasia - www.techsmith.com/camtasiastudio
    Captivate - www.adobe.com/products/captivate
    TurboDemo - www.turbodemo.com
    FlashDemoBuilder - www.flashdemobuilder.com
    Instant Demo - www.instant-demo.com
    Rob Moore - Founder/President
    DemoWolf.com - Video Support Tutorials for Hosting Companies, since 2005
    Our new service is LIVE - as of June 1, 2016

Demo Builder is missing some features that would be desirable (mainly for editing multiple files at once) but other than that it has worked great for us.

So I don't know about the other software, but I can attest to the fact that demo builder works great for creating tutorials, and it isn't that expensive.

Though if you are just looking for run of the mill tutorials you may want to look at a hosting tutorial provider because they would be cheaper (most likely) and would take the time out of creating the tutorials. However, being a web host myself it is very nice having tutorial software to create tutorials for specific things to our service.
    TitanTutorials.com, Making Flash Tutorials Affordable Again, Always Up For Custom Jobs