Seriously, enough is enough. Reliable hosting input required.

Hi all,

Well firstly, dont get me started on my current webhosters - IXWEBHOSTING.COM. To any potential buyers - please be wary. Expect downtime and a lot of it - DAILY!

I run a VBulletin forum, stats:

MYSQL space 800MG
    Disk Space 2-3GB
    Bandwidth per month: roughly 15GB
    Active users including guests: Around 150
    Budget US$30 - US$60 per month or thereabouts

I am loooking for a Reliable host, shared or VPS (I'm assuming) where my uptime will be high as opposed to the 70% or less that i currently experience.

I have heard the names Hostgator (problem may be the shut down of site after 40 active users at one time) and Rimu. Rimu offer a $30 VPS solution that look inviting.

However, i have made this mistake once before and now you your grey matter to help me move forward. Please, any input will help.

I am wanting to move in the next 10 days or so.

My site www.thechiefbaboon.com Take a look... if you can connect

Thanks

Shayne

Hello Shayne

I suggest you to search for a semi-dedicated or VPS, your forum is almost too big for a shared account.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I would take a serious look at 3dgwebhosting (3dgwebhosting.com). David and the team of 3dg have been extremely attentive and system performance has been fantastic. I am running a VPS and also a dedicated server with SharePoint and soon Microsoft Dynamics through 3DG and have been impressed from day 1. <<snipped>> Our site (on the VPS) is glotegy.com.

Mark
    Last edited by Tacid - Sam; 04-01-2008 at 07:18 PM.

Based on your needs, you might want to ask about a custom application hosting plan @ medialayer. With 150 online users, it depends on how well your forum is configured, but it definitely is pushing the boundaries of shared hosting.

I understand it has outgrown a shared enviroment. Whats the next step - VPS? Semi Dedicated?

Hmm, with your budget you can either get a pretty decent VPS or a low end dedicated. I would go for the VPS as the hardware would most likely be a lot better than the dedicated for that pricing.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by Shayneh View Post
    I understand it has outgrown a shared enviroment. Whats the next step - VPS? Semi Dedicated?
    Right, a VPS or Semi-Dedicated and then move slowly towards a dedicated.

Depending on your technical skill be aware that a VPS or dedicated server can be managed or unmanaged, a semi-dedicated server is managed.

If you need special server settings (and thus need more freedom in configuring the server) you may prefer a VPS or dedicated above a semi-dedicated.

Hope this information helps you in making your search for a new hosting provider easier.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Surely you can get a managed VPS for around $50 or so per month.

I have not used such accounts myself but I used to have a shared account with Inmotion hosting, and they have VPS accounts also.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

One little question.. are you sure this is right?

MYSQL space 800MG
    Disk Space 2-3GB

I happen to have 2 associates with similar sized vBulletin forums (~300-600 MB/piece in MySQL, 2-3 GB of disk space usable, 100 to 300 active users including guests) and they both push significantly more than 15 GB of bandwidth a month. Like by multiples of 10. Not to say that more bandwidth is going to be a problem, any VPS plan at $60 is going to include way more than 15 GB of transfer.. I'm just making sure you know just how much traffic your site pushes, as having that information and having it right is going to affect what you shoot for for new hosting.

Hi Shayne,

You obviously know what you're looking for. So just go to "Offers" section and choose web host. The only advice from me is "don't go with oversellers"!
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by NexSeven View Post
    One little question.. are you sure this is right?

MYSQL space 800MG
    Disk Space 2-3GB

I happen to have 2 associates with similar sized vBulletin forums (~300-600 MB/piece in MySQL, 2-3 GB of disk space usable, 100 to 300 active users including guests) and they both push significantly more than 15 GB of bandwidth a month. Like by multiples of 10. Not to say that more bandwidth is going to be a problem, any VPS plan at $60 is going to include way more than 15 GB of transfer.. I'm just making sure you know just how much traffic your site pushes, as having that information and having it right is going to affect what you shoot for for new hosting.
    Well according to IXWEBHOSTING and their bandwidth register in HSPHERE , thats what they claim.

I dont have much experience with any control panels. What would one recommend?

Would it be better for me to go linux or windows as currently I'm on windows

I'm no closer to finding a reliable host as there are just so many options out there and all i find is contradicting stories everywhere. Sigh.

i agree no over sellers for you
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

It indeed depends on the way the forum is coded to see if it is still possible to go on shared hosting. As Hostcolor and Area 51 said definitely do not use any oversellers as you won't last long. If you don't need Windows (for ASP etc) go with Linux, cheaper and more stable. Control panel-wise, in the past I've used a lot of them and I have liked H-sphere's functionality and stability most. This may be partially a personal preference.

If you get a VPS, go with DirectAdmin to save yourselve headaches, it'll do it's job and run best even though it may not be as graphically enticing as say Cpanel. Your budget seems to warrant a decent VPS. Last VPS I had was with knownhost and I've been quite happy there (also usually coupons available in the vps offer forum or their site). Not sure how much they'd do for you though if you don't know much about servers.

Their site says fully managed if you buy a control panel I think, so it will probably be okay, and it's a good learning environment and plenty of resources available on the net/forums. I wouldn't advise a dedicated server if you don't have any experience running them though, managed will be way over the budget and unmanaged as well most likely.
    Last edited by kemuel; 04-08-2008 at 07:51 AM.

off the chain response kemuel nice i must ad plesk & Cpanel to the list as well all good industry standard control panels on plesk just be sure with plesk and cpanel you check out the host you are thinking of using and ask them about there hard ware send them emails or whatever form is on their site
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!

Last question. I'v been reading on getting a VPS with knownhost as the feedback on them is generally quite good. Are there any restrictions i should be wary of? ie Close site if too many connections blah blah. Also, if anyone has any feedback as to NOT to go with knownhost, please let me know.

ie Close site if too many connections blah blah.
    No, you will not run into that kind of policy, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to reach 10000 connections. A VPS would isolate your hosting environment and be isolated from the other VPSes that share the server (to a certain degree).

The most likely thing that can happen is for the VPS to (eventually) not be able to cope with the load you throw at it. It's perhaps wise to discuss with your soon to be provider, detail your needs as beast you can, and see which VPS they consider fit for your needs. On a small VPS, the control panel alone may eat a big chunk of the available resources.

The Planet has been running some specials on low-end dedicated servers, you may want to check them out. If not, I'd go with a higher-end VPS from a reputiable provider to ensure that your site had good uptime and has room to grow.
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | CloudFlare Optimized Partner
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Morning

I recently have gone with A2B2.com after a few people recommended them to me, so far excellent customer service and very friendly staff, they have online and email and answer queries almost straight away

Yes there is a lot of options with VPSs and its hard wading through all the options, "and" attempt to make the right choice.

KnownHost you mentioned is a good choice, as is WiredTree.com

Both these providers have great reviews and are on top of their game. Im with WiredTree and they are faultless, sub 15 minute support ticket replies and my VPS has missed 1 ping all year on my 5 minute monitor.

Also look at running eAccelerator and the plugin based template cache to lower DB requests and speed things up. All the best.
    Great Host = WiredTree.com Managed VPS Hosting

http://www.thechiefbaboon.com/

hey your site is good BABOON oh my GOD
    how i earn money....your site is a bank ....
    your ads are every where on the world.