Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Advice for reseller/VPS selection

    Hi everyone, I've been reading the forums here for a while and have gotten a ton of great info, but I'm still a little unsure about choosing a reseller account vs VPS.

    I've been designing websites for a while (both standard and Joomla! CMS sites) for personal use as well as charity for non-profits. I've long considered doing site design/hosting as a side-job, but never jumped on it. But recently one of the clients I design/host pro bono referred a business to me. They want a new site (Joomla)and hosting.

    I'm currently hosting 2 Joomla sites out of a shared Bluehost account (both low traffic), and would like to get a new hosting service to host both these two AND the new client. That would be a total of 3 Joomla sites to start. I'm hoping this will open up and I can start designing and hosting more clients, but I'm not looking to get too big...just a little bit of side income.

    Here are the options I'm considering:

    Fully-Managed VPS from LiquidWeb - $50 per month
    50GB hard disk space
    400GB monthly bandwidth
    384MB dedicated RAM - 512MB burstable
    4 IPs
    WHM/cPanel/Virtuozzo/Fantastico

    KnownHost KH Expert Reseller - $30 per month
    15GB hard disk space
    100GB monthly bandwidth

    With a reseller account (KnownHost), I'm not sure how to know how much RAM/CPU I'll get. Both of these companies have great service, uptime, and hardware.

    How quickly would I outgrow these options? I'm looking to focus on mostly Joomla design and hosting, but will probably do some regular HTML/CSS sites as well.

    As far as my overall experience, I'm an Oracle Database Administrator, I have experience in both Unix/Linux, and the web design experience I previously mentioned.

    Any guidance or advice you all could provide would be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Well with most reseller accounts you should be able to use a "reasonable" amount.

    In my opinion good reseller accounts almost always outperform VPS accounts, they are only worth it if you need root access.

    I notice that the vps doesn't have a guaranteed cpu usage so your in the same boat there as if with a reseller.

    Not to mention that you usually get a lot more than just space and bandwidth with a reseller package.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

  3. #3
    Thanks for the response, Tim.

    Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    In my opinion good reseller accounts almost always outperform VPS accounts, they are only worth it if you need root access.
    This is where I get confused. Could a reseller account that has NO dedicated resources outperform a VPS on a dual-opteron (equal share) machine with 384MB dedicated RAM? It seems like with zero resources dedicated, that I'd never get anything close to that amount of RAM in a reseller environment. Another concern is the disk space. Currently on Bluehost, I'm using just over 5GB. Having only 15GB with a reseller account seemingly doesn't leave that much breathing room.

    ...but, I'm very new to a reseller environment, so I don't have experience to back up my suspicions.

    Has someone here hosted multiple medium-traffic Joomla! sites in a reseller account? If so, how many would you estimate would be able to share the KnownHost account I cited in my last post.

  4. #4
    The thing with a vps is that the control panel you run eats into that ram as does everything else.

    No one can guarantee that the sites will run but in my experience you do not get better perfomance from VPS over reseller , dollar for dollar.

    If you reference that a dual core server costs $500 with their vps soft included etc. Lets say they charge $50 per VPS and they decide they need to put 30 on there so that they get $1500 income from the server (conservative estimates)

    Lets put that against a $700 dual quad core server (8cores) who have $50 reseller plans and they use the same math and put 40 accounts on there. Your still going to get more use of the server on the reseller's.

    Thats just an example to illustrate a point, I think you should choose whats right for you, but vps is ideal for people who need root access. Its not ideal for offering reseller accounts nor in my opinion reselling hosting.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

  5. #5
    Thanks, it's starting to make more sense.

    Aren't there reseller plans that include shell access? Even my shared Bluehost account includes it.

    So, are VPS plans mostly a marketing ploy? What is the actual benefit when you consider the higher price?

    Lastly, I also found two more reseller plans to consider:

    InnoHosting Enterprise Reseller - $42.95
    space: 20GB
    bw: 350GB
    ClientExec/WHMCS
    End-user tech support

    JaguarPC Partner Expert - $29.97
    space: 40GB
    bw: 400GB
    ClientExec

    The end-user support from InnoHosting sounds nice, because I'm not giving up my day job to do this.

    I really appreciate all the info!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    30
    I agree with FHH-TIM in general, however much has to be said for the quality of the provider & server management.

    I have had some rather crummy VPS experiences, where my reseller accounts outperformed the VPS in stability and performance (and not because of the hardware or port speed).

    I eventually took the plunge with WiredTree and have not looked back since. Though their pricing leaned more to the high end, their stellar reputation preceded them and through my experience it remains intact. Absolute pro's...

    But I also have a reseller with Innohosting and they too are excellent. However the lack of root access compels me to keep a VPS as I need to run some server wide apps.


    So either way, the organization behind the servers is also of paramount importance.

    G'luck with your choice

  7. #7
    I think you can use a reseller plan without end user support at the beginning. I think you should have the ability to do the support for your customers. After you get many clients, you can buy a dedicated server. And move all your customers to your own server.
    Domain, Hosting and Reseller at http://www.hostdomainzone.com

  8. #8
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, ccnc. I'm definitely feeling more comfortable with the thought of a Reseller account now.

    One nagging question remains though, since I haven't done this before. I'm having trouble finding rough estimates of the number of accounts a Reseller plan like the one from InnoHosting can support. I know that it is 100% dependent on the type/quality of the site and amount of users, but can anyone speak from their personal experience? Low/Medium size and traffic sites, with some CMS sites (Joomla) also?

    5? 50?. I just really have no point of reference.

  9. #9
    lwbbs, I agree about trying to handle most support issues myself. My concern about this however, is that I cannot take service calls during the day...my current job doesn't allow this. My clients currently know and understand that I can only provide support on evenings and weekends.

    If I have end-user support, I could still provide support on evenings/weekends and allow InnoHosting to take calls and tickets during the day when I'm at work.

  10. #10
    If you don't have time to handle the support ticket at the work time, you may need a reseller plan with end-user support. You also can shift your instant support response time. At your work time, you reply the ticket about 4 - 8 hours. That means your need reply the urgent tickets at the lunch time.

    Quote Originally Posted by erik087 View Post
    lwbbs, I agree about trying to handle most support issues myself. My concern about this however, is that I cannot take service calls during the day...my current job doesn't allow this. My clients currently know and understand that I can only provide support on evenings and weekends.

    If I have end-user support, I could still provide support on evenings/weekends and allow InnoHosting to take calls and tickets during the day when I'm at work.
    Domain, Hosting and Reseller at http://www.hostdomainzone.com

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    The thing with a vps is that the control panel you run eats into that ram as does everything else.

    No one can guarantee that the sites will run but in my experience you do not get better perfomance from VPS over reseller , dollar for dollar.

    If you reference that a dual core server costs $500 with their vps soft included etc. Lets say they charge $50 per VPS and they decide they need to put 30 on there so that they get $1500 income from the server (conservative estimates)

    Lets put that against a $700 dual quad core server (8cores) who have $50 reseller plans and they use the same math and put 40 accounts on there. Your still going to get more use of the server on the reseller's.

    Thats just an example to illustrate a point, I think you should choose whats right for you, but vps is ideal for people who need root access. Its not ideal for offering reseller accounts nor in my opinion reselling hosting.
    I went ahead and decided to try the LiquidWeb VPS for one month. I'm still extremely interested in the InnoHosting Reseller account and will probably grab one of those as well to see which I like better.

    Here's some info about the server the LiquidWeb VPS is on:

    - 4 Opteron 2112 Dual-Core processors (8 cores total)
    - Equal CPU sharing
    - approximately 20 VPS accounts per server

    Any thoughts about the specs of that server? Average? Above or Below?

    Thanks,
    Erik

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •