Developing A Company

So, I've be thinking of monopolizing my local area with standard website needs & was curious about some basic information that would help me accomplish this.

Where I live, there aren't too many companies that offer decent website development & web hosting so I wished to get into it myself and see if I cannot make something of it. Obviously, I know that it'll take alot of time to establish a working set-up but I'd like to know the basics. I'm decently experienced in Flash & standard HTML design, but need further learning of web hosting.

Should I run reseller packages in the beginning or just get dedicated hosting and run it all on there?

What type of equipment is essential for operating such a company (including all the Adobe software needed)?

Any recommended books, tutorials, or e-books I should read up on before starting?

Any other helpful advice? Thanks!

My advise would be to start with a reseller account to keep your intial costs low.

Make sure you choose a provider you can grow with and that will make things a lot easier.

As regards hosting if you want to offer the "complete" service to your clients you'll need:

Billing system (WHMCS)
    Domain Reseller
    Reseller Hosting account
    Support system (kayako or WHMCS can do it.)

Obviously you'll need a site and I'd also reccomend getting a SSL.

Best of luck.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Initially getting a reseller account will be the best idea as you dont need to get into financial crises paying for a dedicated server.Also while developing your website please be sure to create a SEO user freindly site so that you dont have to go on again and again to make changes in site.This would help you in advertising of your site and getting to the rankings as soon as possible.

If you end up going with a shared reseller system make sure you check out Hsphere as your control panel. Based on what you have stated it might be exactly what you need to start your business.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

Would it be any different if I were hosting, designing, and managing these sites? That is to say, if I was to do everything, even control and update their sites, would I still need to purchase reseller packages or does that involve something different?

I would suggest you to find web host which would provide you with Managed server at at good price. This way you'll be able to focus on sales and to offer various services in your local community. All other things like billing solution and tech support system can be set-up later. You can provide phone support to your customers (especially if they are around) and to get tickets by contact form or e-mail. There are some software solutions that will work for you but you don;t need to pay for those before having enough customers to use them.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

He won't need a managed server to start with. That bring his initial costs up too high and won't be utilizing it much. A reseller account is a good way to start.

@2guys1forum: A reseller account gives you control over each website you want to host and in turn also gives the user a control panel to manage their domain. You would not need to purchase multiple reseller accounts for each domain.
    Senior Network Architect
    Managed Network Services for Hosting Providers
    www.ipexperts.net
    | https://anycastvpn.net

As far as searching for a reseller that I'd keep for a LONG time, what specific qualities should I be looking for. Any examples?

Better get a business plan before you start a company. a consultant will guide you through everything.

I say initially setup a reseller account to keep costs low. Once you have established a client list then maybe virtual dedicated would be an option before jumping into bed with a dedicated server. Find out who your host is before you become a reseller. Call all of them. Speak to them one on one to see if they are the kind of people you wish to trust your clients with.
    Jason Jersey, C.E.O.
    Optic Burst Communications Group, Inc.
    Cloud Web Hosting

What do you want to concentrate on web development or hosting ? A package can be attractive for a turnkey solution . Also I am not sure if you can achieve a monopolistic status by being a hosting startup now.

I think I'd like to concentrate on web development over hosting as that is my primary focus. I only thought of a package-deal because it, as you say, looks more "attractive". Besides, as far as seeing the competition in my area, I'm not too concerned for failure, I could do no worse than these companies, or lack there of.

You can also think of outsourcing your contracts to somewhere else. You can do the marketing and get the jobs and get the jobs done effectively by outsourcing. You invest less and the risks are low as well.

Innohosting offers a nice reseller package that includes support for end users. If you can sell the design and hosting, they can pretty much be your back office.

Moved To Running a Web Hosting Business.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

What about buying out an existing webhosting company that is run down and build it up (or someone who is getting tired of the business). Maybe just change the name to what suits you and do from there.

just get a reseller account for $5 or $10 a month and do not worry about the in's & out's of the hosting part. focus on sales, design and delivery.

you have to think, for $10/month there may be 10, 20, 50+ people providing support to keep your $10 account online every month, managing everything from security updates to infrastucture.

you cant even find anyone willing to wash your car, clean your house or give you a hair cut for $10 anymore, let alone provide a core for your business. in the hosting world, $5-10/month for the services provided - is as cheap an entry point into business as it gets.

I agree with the majority of the people posting here, go with a reseller account which you can get for $10.

Next I would put everything into advertising and letting everyone know about you and your services. Depending on how many resources you get with your reseller account and how much you resell, you might be able to sell 10 accounts for say... $5 p/m each. With that $50 a month you might decide to upgrade to a VPS so you can fit more accounts on the server and have more control.

If there are other design/hosting companies in the area remember to do a bit of research on them.

Best of luck to you!
    Note that my opinions are my own, in no way do they represent the company I work for