HostGator Cancellation Issues...

On March 29th I canceled my reseller package with HostGator. I was told that it should only take about 8 hours for a cancellation and refund.

Fine, so I waited. A day passed and I used HostGator's live chat to see if that would speed up the process.

I finally got a reply to my cancellation ticket the next day... (March 30th).

This is what really made me mad. I was waiting for more than 24 hours for a refund and this lady named "Celeste" replies to my ticket essentially asking me to stay with the company by giving me all these good deals:

Hello,

I noticed that you were wanting to cancel your account with us after recently signing up. If there was a problem with the service you were receiving, I'd like to see if I could help you.

We can also downgrade your account to a shared hosting plan for $9.95 so that your domain(s) can stay active. Or if you were still wanting to keep your reseller status, I can customize a reseller plan for $15.00 a month for you! The specifications would be as follows:

- 10 GB Disk Space

- 150 GB Bandwidth

- Private Name Servers

- Free Billing System

- All other features shown at: http://www.hostgator.com/resellers.shtml

If one of these options would work for you let me know. I would be glad to modify your account. If not we can proceed with the cancellation.

Best regards,

Celeste

HostGator Support

http://support.hostgator.com

1-866-96-GATOR
    FOR GOODNESS SAKE, I was waiting for more than 24 hours and I still didn't get my refund.

So I replied to this ticket: "Nope. Just cancel the reseller and refund me please."

ANOTHER DAY PASSED and I AGAIN had to use live chat to speed up the process. Finally I got my package canceled and I got refunded on March 31st.

Good luck canceling with HostGator... if I hadn't have used that live chat they probably still wouldn't have responded to my cancellation ticket.

Very poor service.

Why are you upset about that? Most companies have retention policies to attempt to keep customers. Offering you a better deal and asking you if there was a service issue seems like a good policy to me. Even with that it took 2 days to refund your money which also does not seem to be that bad.

Also keep in mind that billing tickets are not responded to as fast as support tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by rrhodes View Post
    Why are you upset about that? Most companies have retention policies to attempt to keep customers. Offering you a better deal and asking you if there was a service issue seems like a good policy to me. Even with that it took 2 days to refund your money which also does not seem to be that bad.

Also keep in mind that billing tickets are not responded to as fast as support tickets.
    Does it take most companies three days to cancel your account? Does it take three days for them to issue a refund when their policy says 8 hours? Doubt it.

The point is that I still wouldn't have received a refund if I didn't use their live chat to speed up the process.

With them stating 8 hours, it may have been unrealistic. but if they have a refund policy then it should state it in there.

With them being a large company then they will try to retain customers with a better offer, I think you may find some small companies try to do the same. So all they have done is try to persuade you to stay with them to stop them losing your custom.

Hello,
    I dont think any company will take more than eight hour for an account cancellation and refund.

He might be asked them for the cancellation. As rrhodes said may have some retention policies to attempt to keep customers but a frequent retention is not a good one.

I didnt expect this from a company like Hostgator. If you were in Maker177 position did you accept this?

Quote Originally Posted by Maker177 View Post
    Does it take most companies three days to cancel your account? Does it take three days for them to issue a refund when their policy says 8 hours? Doubt it.

The point is that I still wouldn't have received a refund if I didn't use their live chat to speed up the process.
    My bad. If the policy states 8 hours then that is what it should be. Most of the time when I see a complaint posted the issue had been going on for weeks or more.

I think such delays in Hostgator's reply can be explained by the fact that HostGator is a very popular web hosting provider with a great number of customers. A lot of people rely on Hostgator services and are ready to have deal with them. This situation is typical for well-known hosting providers!

I've been considering moving to HostGator, because of the issues I'm having with my current hosting company. My current host's policy is they will cancel the account 24 - 72 hours after you fill out a specific cancellation form.

I noticed in HG's TOS, it says you have to request a cancellation with their specific Cancellation Form also. Further, "Once we receive your cancellation and have confirmed all necessary information with you via e-mail, we will inform you that your account has been canceled." Did you actually use that form, or just submit a ticket asking for a cancellation? I think it makes a big difference, because they ask you in the cancellation form if you want the site killed immediately.

I know I sound like I'm playing devil's advocate and nit-picking, but I have been over and over their TOS for my own purposes, as that is what both parties are bound by. I do not see any mention of the refund being processed within 8 hours. And even if someone told you that, it does not make HG liable for their misinformation, even though it is arguably bad customer service.

I am interested in seeing HG's response, as they have been very good about addressing issues that come up in this forum. That's one more reason I am considering a to switch to them.

Anyway, Hostgator refunded your money back pointing out the fact it is one of the honest web hosting companies!

Quote Originally Posted by 3DProf4online View Post
    Anyway, Hostgator refunded your money back pointing out the fact it is one of the honest web hosting companies!
    That's the absolute LEAST they could have done with the experiences I've had with them...

They have to refund it anyways. It's a 45 day money back guarantee policy.

Just because the policy says it, doesn't mean a web host will necessarily give it to you. I have seen hosts say you violated their ToS and then just terminated you after you asked for a cancellation and refused to give a refund.

HostGator is above that, as are many of the hosts on this forum.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I'm still curious if you used their cancellation form (noted in my above post), or if you just opened a ticket to have the account closed. While I may seem to be splitting hairs, I think it's important to know, because it might help others to know that a ticket doesn't get it done quickly or absolutely, whereas the cancellation form might.

What was your cancellation ticket number with us? We don't process cancellations instantly because there is no rush. Cancellations are handled by two employees who don't usually work on weekends.

The day you fill out the cancellation is the day your billing stops. I'm also not sure why you had to open a new wht thread bashing us when your other one is related. (canceling is part of transferring)
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=682541