How to regain control of my domain name!

The story:
    I have a domain name which was registered with a hosting provider back in the mid 90s. Everything was fine, especially considering that hosting provider was top notch back in the day. We have now outgrown this hosting firm and would like to move to a new host.

Our current hosting provider has gone rogue, the registrant details are all his, and he refuses to transfer the domain to us. There hasn't been any interruption in the service, but we feel threatened to what is currently one of the core competitive advantages we have.

I have spoken with the registrar, DomainPeople. They asked me to submit various documentations including a letterhead witnessed by a notary public. I have done this late last year, and have yet to see any progress on this.

I am now fed up with looking for an agreeable solution with the host and the registrar. I am not at the point of being able to afford legal help in order to force the domain into my control.

I would like to know if there are processes in place that can help me to gain control of my domain.

Thank you all for your help!
    ZunePoint <-- Click
    Forums - Register Now!
    Will launch fully soon!

DomainPeople appear to be ICANN Accredited. If you are not happy with DomainPeople's handling of the issue, you could try contacting ICANN to see if they can move the issue a long by contacting DomainPeople. But make sure you have an invoice or some type of proof that you actually own the domain name.

Alternatively, have you tried contacting DomainPeople on 1.877.734.3667. You could also use the Contact Us form to submit more information to there Support Department.
    Last edited by TimothyH; 03-31-2008 at 10:57 PM.

Hi EvaHost, thanks for your reply.
    I have contacted DomainPeople via official letter (snail mail) and have talked to them on the phone. No reply has been made to me yet.

The closest thing to an invoice for the hosting services (and the registration for the domain) is many years old, and it is unlikely I have it.

The problem is that the host, himself, is not operating as a business anymore. The host's clients are still online and the domains are all still managed, but billing and sales from the host's end has stopped.

What to do!?
    ZunePoint <-- Click
    Forums - Register Now!
    Will launch fully soon!

You may want to contact ICANN

como1

Was the domain ever listed under your name? Plus, no matter how old the invoice may be, it is still proof that you own the domain. Even any renewal invoices will help.

I don't think it is worth your time to continue contact with the host anymore. But to continue contact with DomainPeople. They should be able to resolve the issue even though it may take some time......

But if your not happy with the way they handle it, as a last resort, contact ICANN. ICANN are the organisation who control all domain registers and should be able to help you out with this issue. But you have to have made some effort to contact the Domain Register before contacting ICANN.

I really hope that this information is helping you, and good luck getting your domain name back!

P.S: Would you mind PMing me the domain name?
    Last edited by TimothyH; 04-01-2008 at 04:25 AM.

It's probably not the right time to be contacting ICANN about this. I'd follow up with Domain People by phone and ask them why they haven't been in contact with you yet after supplying the requested info. You should point out that the host has gone out of business.

Was the domain ever registered in your name? You could open up a free trial for http://domain-history.domaintools.com/. to see if they have a record of the domain being in your name. It entails registering with a cc. But you can cancel afterwards. documentary evidence of renewal receipts would also be very useful.
    Signature Under Construction.

I have used domain-history and there is history back to 2000. When I check the 2000, that address is our old location. 2004 is the next record where it was changed to the host's address info.
    ZunePoint <-- Click
    Forums - Register Now!
    Will launch fully soon!

Hopefully you took a screenshot of the 2000 history. That along with later renewal receipts and a driver's license should satisfy Domain People.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    Hopefully you took a screenshot of the 2000 history. That along with later renewal receipts and a driver's license should satisfy Domain People.
    Its under a business name. In this case we'll probably send them our tax id or something similar.

Thank you all for your help.
    I will keep you all posted.
    ZunePoint <-- Click
    Forums - Register Now!
    Will launch fully soon!

I would like to thank everyone! I have regained control of my domain. I have also moved it over to NameCheap for the time being. Thank you
    ZunePoint <-- Click
    Forums - Register Now!
    Will launch fully soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Keptic View Post
    I have regained control of my domain.

care to tell everyone what you did?
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Namecheap is a good choice.

As CD Burnt has said, mind telling us your 'secret' in regaining back you domain name?
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Wow! That's actually good you regained the control of your domain. Going through your posts and replies, I felt the host could have easily extorted money from you or something like that. :-)

Reading.. reading... wow, this sucks for this guy... reading.. what? He got his domain back already?

Yeah really, what process was required. Details please?
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

The host did try to extort money, that is why we went through the back-end.

I got lucky that the host had not changed the "Registrant's Name" field. He had changed everything (address, phone, etc) but the registrants name which continued to be my business name. Therefore, I submitted a request for "Registrant Name Change" with the domain registrar (and ICANN). This included sending a copy of my business' official registrations sheets and letterhead stating the problem. They changed it out really quickly since of the business' registration forms served as ample proof. The key was to have all the details required (IUSA, Address, Tax, Owner, Federal #, etc).

I was given advice on this from the registrar themselves, they were happy to help me. The next step above this is to contact ICANN (if the registrant's name has changed too). If you can prove that the domain (at one time) was used for your business, and that you paid for it AND that the domain did not expire on you, you will have a case. You are entitled to the domain if it is a registered business. This process is much longer.

I got lucky that the registrant's name was my company name and it is such a UNIQUE company name which allowed for the officials to confirm authentication quickly. It helped that when they did a federal and state search for my business, I was the only one with the name and my details checked out.

Best wishes to everyone that helped.
    ZunePoint <-- Click
    Forums - Register Now!
    Will launch fully soon!

It's nice to see a happy ending once in a while.

Hey, thanks for coming back and going into detail about how it was resolved. I'm sure it will help others who will run into this same issue.

If only I could have been a fly watching that guy's reaction when he realized he lost control of the domain.
    BestVPSReviews.com - KnownHost VPS? Liquid Web VPS? See my personal experience with these hosts.
    Best Web Hosting - The Best Web Hosting Deals and News

That's good. At least, your host knows not to mess with ICANN. They might lose their registrar license if they do something silly as trying to extort money for the domain that you already own.

Good day!