Thread: Nameservers

Nameservers

Someone recently asked me if I could provide an account for them to resell (500mb, 10 bw etc.), for which they wanted their own nameservers. Excuse the newbie-ish question, but how would I actually register their nameservers? I know they need 2 IPs for ns1. and ns2., but where do I go from there??

Thanks in advance (and I hope this is the right forum )

Nameservers need to be setup from their domain registrar. Just tell them to go to their registrar and setup the ns1 and ns2 nameservers with the IPs you gave them. Most registrars have a link for registering nameservers where this can be done easily. Once their nameservers start resolving to the IP addresses (usually in around 24 hrs?), everything's good to go. It's a pretty straight-forward process (at least, it is with Dotster )
    Jeremy [email protected]
    Front Drive Advanced multi-domain hosting solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Do a WhoIs for their domain and see who their registrar is. This is in case they do not know how to do it themselves.

You'll have to set the up on your server as a name server first - and give them 2 IP# - that's not free either. If you have not done this before ask support.