Shared host disk space 15000Gb?

Hi, am pretty bad at knowledge on hosting so pls pardon me if this sounds dumb.

Saw the website of bluehost which was selling its shared host which had features like 10000Gb of disk space and 15000 Gb of bandwith per mth. This was going at $6.95 per mth.

Have found dedicated servers which only had like 80Gb space and already priced at $100 over dollars per mth.

My question is why would any one choose dedicated server for such an expensive pricing and yet get lesser in return compared to what bluehost offers? Or am I wrong in some way? Pls enlighten me. Tnks.

Let me sum it up in one word . UBERUBERSUPERDUPEREXTREMEOVERSELLING. Overselling basically is all their doing. There will be a clause in their TOS which means you can only ever use a fraction of that space.

Yes, you are wrong. Just because they advertise it, doesn't mean you can use it.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=678237
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Guess I was right to think it sounded fishy after all.

I want to set up a site where at any one time I expect human traffic of about 100-300 and intend to have photo uploading say which will take up abt 3Gb of space. Find Dedicated servers a bit too pricy and just realised shared hosting is not going to help either.

Any suggestions on what hosting I should look at and company? I want a monthly affair and preferably no setup fees. Having a complimentary domain would be good. Hope to keep budget about $50.

Also a company which can smoothly transfer me with no hiccups if I want to upgrade to dedicated servers in future. Tnks.

Quote Originally Posted by million2b View Post
    Guess I was right to think it sounded fishy after all.

I want to set up a site where at any one time I expect human traffic of about 100-300 and intend to have photo uploading say which will take up abt 3Gb of space. Find Dedicated servers a bit too pricy and just realised shared hosting is not going to help either.

Any suggestions on what hosting I should look at and company? I want a monthly affair and preferably no setup fees. Having a complimentary domain would be good. Hope to keep budget about $50.

Also a company which can smoothly transfer me with no hiccups if I want to upgrade to dedicated servers in future. Tnks.
    Shared hosting should be fine. What makes you think shared hosting won't work?

Well as mentioned above, shared host is overselling and bound to kick me if I over use.

More or less just what is their tolerance space and bandwidth they are likely to endure to allow me to use? I mean the amount they have in mind which they don't reveal. An estimation?

Well as mentioned above, shared host is overselling and bound to kick me if I over use.

More or less just what is their tolerance space and bandwidth they are likely to endure to allow me to use? I mean the amount they have in mind which they don't reveal. An estimation?
    You still have it wrong. Shared hosting is not overselling. The host you looked up is overselling. There are still quite a few reliable hosts out there.

http://dathorn.com
    http://httme.com
    http://dotable.com

These are a few hosts of the top of my head. They allow you to use the advertised space and bandwidth, granted you don't abuse the CPU/IO resources. Which I doubt you will, but you haven't explained your site.

A site for seliing houses. So pictures will be uploaded by the seller for display. So like I said for a start am really not too sure about how heavy the traffic will be and just giving an estimation of 3Gb for picture uploading. Will upgrade accordingly when things pick up.

Is shared acceptable for this?

And of course I want back-ups and monitoring service by the host. I don't qualify to do it.

Some Hosting Co, will use Load balacing and cluster system ( very expensive ) to allow the customers to use what they want until they will be mature to get a dedicated server.

You can offer high space and BW without overselling, if you understand this principal.

If you use as a Hosting Co Cpanel, you cannot enjoy this kind of solid and performant system. Take a look around and see, you have some Hosting Co. that offer you less, egal or even more than Bluehost and use this kind of scalability.

A site for seliing houses. So pictures will be uploaded by the seller for display. So like I said for a start am really not too sure about how heavy the traffic will be and just giving an estimation of 3Gb for picture uploading. Will upgrade accordingly when things pick up.

Is shared acceptable for this?

And of course I want back-ups and monitoring service by the host. I don't qualify to do it.
    Shared hosting will be fine for your site. Go with a reputable host, look at the providers I linked too.

Ok tnks. Comforting to know my site's plan still fits for a shared host plan.

Ok tnks. Comforting to know my site's plan still fits for a shared host plan.
    From what I can tell from your posts, your site is fairly basic. And you also aren't ready for anything more than shared hosting, since everything else either requires server administration, or money to pay to have it administrated.

You'll need a shared solution for now, but from a webhoster that knows how to handle a scalable solution for your needs. I have good experiences with PrecisionEffect, and everybody loves MediaLayer around here. The latter I had no personal experience with, but I've seen enough sites hosted on their servers to tell that their service is fast
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by THCEV View Post
    Some Hosting Co, will use Load balacing and cluster system ( very expensive ) to allow the customers to use what they want until they will be mature to get a dedicated server.

You can offer high space and BW without overselling, if you understand this principal.

If you use as a Hosting Co Cpanel, you cannot enjoy this kind of solid and performant system. Take a look around and see, you have some Hosting Co. that offer you less, egal or even more than Bluehost and use this kind of scalability.
    Yes, that's true, but not for $7/Month.

You have a good budget for what you need. Just make sure you talk to the host before hand and get an idea of what they are about and ask how easy it is to scale up with them in terms of bandwidth and then to a dedicated server.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

They definitely oversell which means you can't use all the resources they "offer". Also even if you were able to use a reasonable amount a dedicated server is much better. You will be able to have root access and control over everything you do as well as run a highly active site whereas you a shared host will restrict you the moment you consume a high amount of resources.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

This is the exact respond I got from the host I mentioned earlier when I enquired about their shared hosting plan which had huge space and bandwidth.

"Hello,

We do offer all the space and bandwidth you do see. Most of the customers do not use the space we offer but it is available. As long as the files are within our TOS then we do not shut down a site. Most of the time people seem to think they can backup their whole hard drives including software and MP3s that are copyrighted. We do not allow this as you can understand. As long as they are your photos then their should be no issue.
    Please let me know if you have further questions."

Can someone help explain this. I mean what is TOS? I also don't quite understand the part in bold. Tnks for help.

TOS = Terms Of Service

BlueHost also has a CPU limit, I can't remember what it is, but I have heard of it affecting a lot of sites. (I think it was 10% but, I am not sure)

This is the exact respond I got from the host I mentioned earlier when I enquired about their shared hosting plan which had huge space and bandwidth.

"Hello,

We do offer all the space and bandwidth you do see. Most of the customers do not use the space we offer but it is available. As long as the files are within our TOS then we do not shut down a site. Most of the time people seem to think they can backup their whole hard drives including software and MP3s that are copyrighted. We do not allow this as you can understand. As long as they are your photos then their should be no issue.

Can someone help explain this. I mean what is TOS? I also don't quite understand the part in bold. Tnks for help.
    I just noticed something. Look at the wording.

We do offer all the space and bandwidth you do see.
    No one is arguing what they offer, what we are arguing is what they can provide.

21. It's all fluff...

In reality, most people will never use even a very small fraction of that space or bandwidth. The ones that would simply can't share (or want to risk sharing) a server with hundreds of other sites.

The hosting companies know that and just list the plan specs as fluff only.

As I already said on other parts at webhostingtalk.com: This companies are overselling their servers. Not every customer is will use that 10.000GB Webspace and 15.000GB Datatraffic each month. That is their strategy, I have a bad feeling about those companies
    Sorcer Internet Services - Sales(@)sorcer.nl

Quality Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Shared & Reseller Webhosting and managed services!

Saw the website of bluehost which was selling its shared host which had features like 10000Gb of disk space and 15000 Gb of bandwith per mth. This was going at $6.95 per mth.
    million2b, never buy hosting on April 1

And be reasonable on the 364 other days of the year too (365 this year)

"Hello,

TOS means Terms of Service. It's basically an online contract that you have to sign when buying hosting from them. The bold part means you cannot backup your computer data onto their servers.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!