Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    198

    Turn off open_basedir? Need help...

    I need help from the experts...

    How can I turn off open_basedir completely from within .htaccess?

    I'm finding conflicting advice on how this can be done, or even if it can.

    Anyone?
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    198
    I'm thinking it's something like...

    php_admin_value open_basedir something

    ...but I don't know what the "something" is.
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    chica go go
    Posts
    11,858
    You can't disable open_basedir via .htaccess. But, open_basedir specifications are usually specified in httpd.conf. What control panel are you using?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    You can't disable open_basedir via .htaccess. But, open_basedir specifications are usually specified in httpd.conf. What control panel are you using?
    I was afraid of that. I saw that information elsewhere as well, but I was hoping it was wrong.

    I'm using H-Sphere.
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    chica go go
    Posts
    11,858
    Quote Originally Posted by tjthayer View Post
    I was afraid of that. I saw that information elsewhere as well, but I was hoping it was wrong.

    I'm using H-Sphere.
    You're going to have to ask your host to disable it for you, However, on most hsphere systems (at least the ones i work with), your open_basedir value is set to allow access to /hsphere/local/home/yourusername/domain.com/ and everything under that. You can probably get your host to allow access to /hsphere/local/home/yourusername/ for you, but anthing beyond that is going to be rocky because it would be opening their systems up to insecurity.

    Are you sure you configured your script properly with the proper paths?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    You're going to have to ask your host to disable it for you, However, on most hsphere systems (at least the ones i work with), your open_basedir value is set to allow access to /hsphere/local/home/yourusername/domain.com/ and everything under that. You can probably get your host to allow access to /hsphere/local/home/yourusername/ for you, but anthing beyond that is going to be rocky because it would be opening their systems up to insecurity.

    Are you sure you configured your script properly with the proper paths?
    Thanks Mike. I suspect that the problem is with the script, but unfortunately, it's not mine... It's a script in the new version of WordPress (2.5). And, I am very much the novice in this area, but it does look (to me) like their script is not interpreting a variable correctly.

    Maybe you can spot it...

    Here's the error displayed in WordPress (I'll just change the user name and domain name):

    Warning: is_writable(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/hsphere/local/var/httpd/logs/php_error.log) is not within the allowed path(s): (/hsphere/local/home/MyUserName/MyDomainName.com:/tmp:/var/tmp:/usr/local/lib/php) in /hsphere/local/home/MyUserName/MyDomainName.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 199

    In the first part of the error -- /hsphere/local/var/httpd/logs/php_error.log -- isn't "var" a variable, which should be interpreted by the script as /MyUserName/MyDomainName/?

    Or, am I way off base here?
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    chica go go
    Posts
    11,858
    Could you see if you are still receiving this error?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,984
    open_basedir can only be set by inside the php.ini or httpd.conf, it cannot be set at the .htaccess level. You will need to ask for help from your host. I am not sure if this works, but try putting a php.ini at the root directory.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    Could you see if you are still receiving this error?
    Ahhh.... You're THAT Mike.

    But, yes, I am still getting the same error.
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    chica go go
    Posts
    11,858
    Quote Originally Posted by tjthayer View Post
    Ahhh.... You're THAT Mike.

    But, yes, I am still getting the same error.
    Alright, could you just put in a ticket so we have a chance to look into the specific account that's having trouble?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    Alright, could you just put in a ticket so we have a chance to look into the specific account that's having trouble?
    I put in the ticket last night, around 11:00PM (EDT). Ticket is: JRB-736517.

    I have WordPress set up on about 5 of my domains (all with you guys, of course!), and all exhibit the same problem.
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    chica go go
    Posts
    11,858
    It looks like another person did reply to you. I just made another response to your ticket, could you please verify that you did receive it?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    It looks like another person did reply to you. I just made another response to your ticket, could you please verify that you did receive it?
    Yes, a couple of others have replied so far, but no resolution yet.

    Received your response to the ticket, and have replied.
    ~ But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kerala, India
    Posts
    4,750
    Add the needed paths to the open_basedir section.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •