Want to start a hosting company and...

I want to start a serious hosting company
    I wanna offer good support good quality and everything
    there are lots of things that the company must do like
    selling, supporting, billing, designing, programming, optimizing my site for Search Engines etc
    but I don't know if I can do these things only by my self and I don't have the knowledge to do all of them
    I want to bring one of my trusted friends to the business but not sure about we can do these things together
    and if I want to hire staff then I have to pay a lot of money before even my business runs (don't wanna lose much if it happened)
    I have about 1k-2k to start
    so should I hire stuffs and believe in myself?
    how much do I have to pay them?

need your advices guys

thank you

Your best to get everything done first, then get a server or you can get a VPS to start with.

Design: $150-300 (might come coded)
    Billing Panel: Get either whmcs($200 forever) or clientexec(I think it's $130 forever) from licensepal.
    Support staff: you must be able to get support staff, you might want to make a deal at first as you work your company up the mark's, given free hosting or such, or you may find it helpful to work on a per ticket basis.($1/ticket)
    VPS Server: Depending on what you need, you may want to listen to this now, don't go for the really cheap stuff! your first VPS, try get it around $35/month and also see if they offer cPanel with it as customer's tend to like cPanel more than any other control panel.
    Server Management: Ok, so I take it you don't really know much about server management, so you may want to hire some people that specialize in it, while they do that you can help with the support tickets and if you have free time, learn linux on a LOCAL computer so eventually, you can have the confidence to manage your own server.

You should still have a few hundred left, you may want to spend this on advertising method's to try get your hosting product's more advertised.

Hope this helped

BetaOrange,
    thanks for your reply, helped me alot

<< removed response to removed post >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 04-02-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaOrange View Post
    Your best to get everything done first, then get a server or you can get a VPS to start with.

VPS Server: Depending on what you need, you may want to listen to this now, don't go for the really cheap stuff! your first VPS, try get it around $35/month and also see if they offer cPanel with it as customer's tend to like cPanel more than any other control panel.
    shouldn't I start with reseller acc?
    what is the advantages of having vps for me?

With a reseller account, you can't be free enough. You can't control what's installed (apache extensions, php stuffs, mysql version, optimizers, control panel, etc...)

thx someoneX,

please recommend me a good vps service

thx someoneX,

please recommend me a good vps service
    No one allowed to do that, unless he has personal experience.
    If I were you I'd creat list of requriments and go through advertising forum section for VPS.
    It seems that you have no idea which VPS you need and why do you need VPS at all
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Slash, you would be better off with a reseller account, the point is you want to start small and grow, VPS's are only worth doing if you want/need root access. If you need a managed VPS for say $40 a month, you would get better perfomance from a good reseller account in the same price range, plus you can get a lot more extras with a reseller account.

Don't spend money on staff as you can't afford it and don't need it. Instead if your worried about support, pay for end user support where the host you get your reseller from will support your customers in your company name.

That leaves you free to concentrate on finding customers and getting sales.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

you can do all of these by yourself with sufficient automation. but expect a lot of work.

dont hire any stuff yet, just start with a small reseller account, get a decent website, set up your billing system and etc, start to run things and learn the ropes first.

Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    Slash, you would be better off with a reseller account, the point is you want to start small and grow, VPS's are only worth doing if you want/need root access. If you need a managed VPS for say $40 a month, you would get better perfomance from a good reseller account in the same price range, plus you can get a lot more extras with a reseller account.

Don't spend money on staff as you can't afford it and don't need it. Instead if your worried about support, pay for end user support where the host you get your reseller from will support your customers in your company name.

That leaves you free to concentrate on finding customers and getting sales.
    yes, thats's what I was thinking, I can get a good reseller account with this price range
    about the support, end user support cannot help me cause my clients don't speak english.

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    you can do all of these by yourself with sufficient automation. but expect a lot of work.

dont hire any stuff yet, just start with a small reseller account, get a decent website, set up your billing system and etc, start to run things and learn the ropes first.
    thanks for the advice
    I think you're right, I don't need staff till I grow more

yes, you need to learn everything before you would be able to manage a staff of people doing hosting.

I would agree with the comments of starting slow with a reseller and working up. That way you have less risk and time to learn and grow. Too much control can be too much. Hiring staff shouldn't even be considered until your handling more issues than you care too. At that point you should have enough profit to justify the expense.
    HostDemon.net - Web Hosting & Design Solutions at Sinful Prices!
    30 Day Money Back | 24/7 Support | No Overselling | Instant Backups | 99.9% uptime | Adult Websites Allowed
    Official Twitter Stream- Check it out and consider following us!

thanks guys for your advices, I appreciate
    well, I'm going to get a reseller plan and start the hosting :-)

Wish you all the best,try to stick with it and as long as you have the time and are willing to learn what you can,I'm sure you'll be ok.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

ok, quick question, so whats the difference between VPS servers and a reseller?

Quote Originally Posted by hopesfall View Post
    ok, quick question, so whats the difference between VPS servers and a reseller?
    A VPS is basically a reseller account with root access where you can change/control whats installed running.

Its like have a very very very low end dedicated server, where its actually shared.

Its still in a "shared enviroment" and in my opinion only useful if you need or want root access for something.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

VPS - A "share" of a dedicated server, much like that of a reseller account, although you do tend to get more "guaranteed" resources like RAM etc, that can be used solely by yourself.

You also get things like root access and the ability to do whatever you want, like on a real dedicated server. So in essence it is a dedicated server, but in reality, it isnt.

With a reseller account, if you go with a competent host, you should remove all worries about having to manage a server etc, that you get with a VPS.

But with a reseller, it is a bit more restrictive, however, for a start-up host, a reseller account is usually the perfect way to start things.

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt View Post
    VPS - A "share" of a dedicated server, much like that of a reseller account, although you do tend to get more "guaranteed" resources like RAM etc, that can be used solely by yourself.

You also get things like root access and the ability to do whatever you want, like on a real dedicated server. So in essence it is a dedicated server, but in reality, it isnt.

With a reseller account, if you go with a competent host, you should remove all worries about having to manage a server etc, that you get with a VPS.

But with a reseller, it is a bit more restrictive, however, for a start-up host, a reseller account is usually the perfect way to start things.

So, for someone that is just looking at starting in this buisness they'd want to go with reseller? Could I maybe get some opinions?