Thread: Reseller Rules

Reseller Rules

Does a reseller have to publiclly state that they are a reseller?

I was never clear on this while I was serching for a host.

If you display it or not, that is up to you If you don't want your clients to find out if you're a reseller or not, i recommend you a private label reseller plan.
    Marc Wyss - marc@mchost.com
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

You don't have to state that you're a reseller on your website (you can if you want), but if someone asks you you should tell them the truth.

K,

I'm not actually a reseller, though I think one of the companies I had inquired about using for hosting was, even though they told me flat out they weren't. My current host, AlwaysWebHosting, actually had it posted on their site that they weren't, so I just wanted to be clear.

It's amazing how much a little handiwork with DomainDossier can dig up info on a specific host

I suppose a reseller would not have to advertise this fact but they should tell a consumer if questioned.

If you can check up a hosting site and figure out that he's a reseller, than the company hosting the reseller didn't do a very good job of keeping their clients anonymous .

Usually domain dossier will show a dedicated server provider if you dig up a normal domain hosting host.
    Ronny Fang
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

i will never advertise i am a reseller.

Originally posted by e-stefan
    i will never advertise i am a reseller.
    Bad businessman.

Unless you mean you just won't go out and say, "Hey! I'm a reseller, everyone!"
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

I would say that provided the company you are buying a block from, that would be a bad thing.

If you have a good relationship with the company in question, why not say you are a reseller? I could understand if you are concerned with the parent undercutting your prices, but if they are a proven commodity, you would have everything to gain from it.

That is absolutely true...in fact, I do that all the time.
    Matt De Leon

Everyone resells something. It just depends how far up the ladder you are, but you still have suppliers above you that supply you and you inturn resell those services onto your clients.

I guess the goal for most would be to start reselling space with a portion of someone else's server, then get your own servers, then colo your own servers, then get your own racks...etc...etc. You still have suppliers.
    • WLVPN.com • NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider •
    • Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up •

Not everyone is a reseller bob. Is ford a reseller? They buy steel and sell it on to you so are they a reseller?

If you buy something and sell it on exactly the same then you are a reseller. If you buy something and change it into something else or add to it before selling it on then you are not a reseller.

If you rent a dedicated server and sell hosting with it you are not a reseller, if you rent a server and sell it on for a higher price then you are a reseller.

Ford resells a little bit of everything .

Actually, it all depends on what "tier" you are. Tier 1 being a NOC, tier 2 a hosting company with a dedicated server (tier 2 may also be a server resellers), tier 3 a resellers, tier 4 a reseller of a reseller, etc. Once you get down to tier 4 things change and you less and less want to state what "tier" you are.

Okay, now that I am done confusing the entire WHT community and myself....
    Matt De Leon

Originally posted by SplashHost.com
    Not everyone is a reseller bob. Is ford a reseller? They buy steel and sell it on to you so are they a reseller?

If you buy something and sell it on exactly the same then you are a reseller. If you buy something and change it into something else or add to it before selling it on then you are not a reseller.

If you rent a dedicated server and sell hosting with it you are not a reseller, if you rent a server and sell it on for a higher price then you are a reseller.
    It depends on what definition of "reseller" you have. There's no black and white or right or wrong here.

I'm just saying that we all have upstream suppliers that supply us and we take parts of what they supply and sell that to our clients. Does this make us all "resellers" in some way? Maybe yes, but the definition of "reseller" that we know of, is someone that leases a % of a server and then resells that space to their clients.

The host with racks in a datacenter or even with their own equipment [switches etc] is still reselling the supply from their upstream bandwidth providers to their clients. Would I call them resellers? No. But we all technically "resell" services.

**never mind - didn't make much sense when I read it **

Originally posted by reseller
    **never mind - didn't make much sense when I read it **
    Never stopped me from posting.

My Clients only care if I take care of their needs.
    They have there own businesses to run.
    You guys are hung up on terminology that most of the public doesn’t care about.
    Anyone savvy enough to find out if your a reseller or not is going to be your customer they are going to be your competitor.
    JFWS

good point....to an extent