Possible to buffer max X seconds ahead with an flv player?

Is it possible to buffer for example max 10 seconds ahead of the current video position with an embedded flash video player? So does actionscript for example allow you to limit the amount of data downloaded like that so that once it sees that X MB of video data has been downloaded, it stops streaming until the current video position goes futher and more data needs to be downloaded to keep 10 seconds of not yet seen video downloaded ahead at all times, assuming the user has enough bandwidth.

I'd do this in an effort to limit bandwidth usage.

I don't think that is possible.

When you are streaming a movie, it is the same as outputing a file. You don't have control over the output, unless you have some sort of Active-x program running.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Quote Originally Posted by Tertsi View Post
    Is it possible to buffer for example max 10 seconds ahead of the current video position with an embedded flash video player? So does actionscript for example allow you to limit the amount of data downloaded like that so that once it sees that X MB of video data has been downloaded, it stops streaming until the current video position goes futher and more data needs to be downloaded to keep 10 seconds of not yet seen video downloaded ahead at all times, assuming the user has enough bandwidth.

I'd do this in an effort to limit bandwidth usage.
    This is only going to effect users that don't watch the movies in their entirety: otherwise, the total bandwidth usage will be the same.

In any event, you can't do this with Actionscript.

Take it easy,

David Berube
    Is your Rails app running slow? I can help. Call me at 603-485-9622.
    http://berubeconsulting.com