Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Domain snatched after whois lookup

I purchased a package from Hostgator 2 weeks ago, with a new domain name. I got the email almost immediately after the purchase to use the ip address until the dns has been resolved to their servers. In the meantime Hostgator did not register my domain name.
    Then I got a phone call from hostgator the following day in the afternoon to confirm my identity, and was told that in half an hour the account will be setup completely.
    Guess what, half an hour later the domain name was not availble and got registered to somebody other than me.
    Note that an hour before I got the call, the domain name was available. Even the day before, I put a ticket to their support desk about it, that it was still available, and asking them when are they going to register it.
    I thought that may be they got it and that the dns wasn't propagated yet.

I got a call later from Hostgator telling me that they couldn't register the account, and they asked me if I want to register the .net counter part of it. I refused, because I believe it is their delinquency and laziness that caused the delay, and who knows may be it is somebody from their staff that passed it to somebody else to register it.

From my experience with other vendors a domain gets registered as soon as you buy it. Ironically, prior to the purchase I chatted with their online sales who assured me that they charge more money for the domain registration, compared to others,because of the security features that they offer. Yeah right.

I was upset and disappointed by their lack of responsibilty. They did not want to admit to their procrastination and delinquent customer service. If this how they behave at the start how would they behave afterwards.
    I found that their sales staff don't listen to your problem and all they care about whether you want to continue the service with them or not.
    I cancelled my purchase 2 days later, after I realized that they refuse to see that something went wrong. And I have to do all the leg work to find out what happened to the account, and find ways to get it back.
    I don't know if it gets any worst than that with other bad hosts, but certainly Hostgator is very bad.
    Last edited by como1; 03-30-2008 at 10:44 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Wow, that is completely irresponsible if that is what actually happened to you. Although it sounds possible, I would like to hear the other side as well. There is a member on this forum who often corrects issues with hostgator. His profile is http://www.webhostingtalk.com/profile/hostgator.com maybe you should send him a PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Have you made a whois through Networksolutions to check if the domain were available before to signup with hostgator?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by como1 View Post
    who knows may be it is somebody from their staff that passed it to somebody else to register it.
    I really doubt it was that, it is unfortunate that they didn't register it on time but it seems to be related to schemes done by outside parties see http://www.dotsauce.com/2008/01/29/t...omain-tasting/
      0 Not allowed!

Wow, that's completely unprofessional. Welcome to HostGator... I have been having my own problems with them today as well.
      0 Not allowed!

Yea, that’s weird. Wonder why didn’t get registered right at signup?
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

What is your ticket number with us? It's very possible your domain was registered before we had a chance to register it. Did you do a whois somewhere else before registering it with us? What is your ticket number with us?
      0 Not allowed!

Jeddito: Yes I probably did check it with networksolutions.

HostDime: The article you posted is an eye openner, that really explains a lot. Thanks a lot. I'm not accusing Hostgator of stealing the domain name, I think they are too lazy for that kind of stuff.

Biggerboy: The crucks of the matter is that they waited 36 hours to register the domain. There was an open ticket the night I purchased the package asking them if they aquired the domain or not. Coincedentaly they never responded to that ticket.
    The bigger issue here is the lack of concern towards the customer. They really showed recklessness.
    The domain name is just part of the problem.
    The main problem for Hostgator is their lazy, and careless customer service, and refusing to admit to they should have aquired the domain name in a timely manner.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    . . . It's very possible your domain was registered before we had a chance to register it.
    That sounds like what most probably happened here.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Yes I probably did check it with networksolutions.
    You probably did or you did?

Also what was the domain name you wanted to register?
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato
      0 Not allowed!

I hope you have addressed this with HG. If so, what was their response?

Last week, while searching GoDaddy for some domain names to register, I found several I liked. I went back yesterday, and found the one I wanted was taken just the day after I checked it! I then checked the whois info, and found that it was registered through GoDaddy. I immediately assumed that they were locking these domains just after I found them so that I'd have to buy through them at a premium. But, after checking some others, I realized it was just coincidence that someone else grabbed it.

As most will tell you here, it's best to keep your domain registration separate from your hosting. Sadly, with domain names, and the squatting that goes one, if you snooze, you lose. I'm at least glad to see ICANN addressing this issue, as it's almost impossible to get a relevant domain name. I even checked 'blindprophet' just on a whim, and it was available, but considered a 'Premium domain', and available for $450!! I just want something that's simple, and easy to remember. But most of those are already taken. Good luck.

HG has been really good about addressing issues on this forum, and I am considering hosting with them shortly. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution, and that you let us know what happens.

**Edit** I rest my case! HG responded while I was posting this.
    Last edited by dengwms; 03-30-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Update post with info posted while composing my reply.
      0 Not allowed!

Keith W: I did.
    I won't post the domain name. I Would like to keep it between me and hostgator.

Aussie Bob: How do you explain their slowness in terms of registering the domain. The only time they tried to register it was after they called the next day.
    But, they had 36 hours to act.
      0 Not allowed!

What is your ticket number with us? Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Why not post the domain name? If someone else has registered it then it shouldn't be a problem letting us know what it is, or do you have something to hide?

As for keeping this between your self and Host Gator, well you kind of blew that by posting this thread.

0 Not allowed!

Aussie Bob: How do you explain their slowness in terms of registering the domain. The only time they tried to register it was after they called the next day.
    But, they had 36 hours to act.
    Let me toss in one more thing you have to consider: Because of rampant credit card fraud in this business, hosts have to reconfirm all or most orders. If a domain is of potential significance to you, register it immediately at a registrar. Then take care of the hosting part.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!
      0 Not allowed!

Jeddito: Yes I probably did check it with networksolutions.
    That's the problem, and it's not Hostgator's fault, please take a look to this http://www.dotsauce.com/2008/01/08/n...main-searches/
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

hostgator.com: I have no interest in dealing with your company after the fact. With all due respect, and I know you mean well. Where were you when the incident happened. Really what you need to fix is your sales team, and the the personnel who handle new accounts. I chose Hostgator based on the good reviews I found on this forum, and there are probably a lot of happy campers in the swamps of hostgator, but for me, I don't want to deal with it.
    As I mentioned above the bigger issue is the slow response,recklessness, and laziness.
    Waiting 36 hours to register a domain speaks a lot.
    Last edited by como1; 03-31-2008 at 12:16 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Could you please provide your ticket number? You refusing to seems very suspicious making me think there is more to this story.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with Host Gator

You have come here and posted a thread basically bashing Host Gator but yet refuse to provide any information or proof to back up your claims.

0 Not allowed!

hostgator.com: post an email address and I will send it to you.
      0 Not allowed!

Keith W: I understand your concern. I already asked him to post his email address.
      0 Not allowed!

What is wrong with posting your ticket number here? Only Host Gator will be able to check up on it.

Or you could send it to him via PM

Emails can easily be claimed to have been sent when in fact they haven't

0 Not allowed!

Keith W: I don't know who else from the esteemed support group of hostgator are on this forum. So, I don't want them to cover their tracks, that's all.
      0 Not allowed!

brent @ hostgator.com or you could pm it to me. thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Then send Host Gator a PM with the ticket number

But I would find it highly unlikely that a member of Host Gator support would doctor a ticket to cover there tracks

0 Not allowed!

I don't see how you can blame hostgator. They are fully in the right to manually verify orders.

You can't get all mad after the fact because they didin't set your account up as fast as you wanted. If you really wanted domain you would have registered it yourself seperatly ASAP, not wait for a hosting company to do it for you. Either way:

Careless, reckless, useless? I think not.

Hostgator did not do a thing wrong.
      0 Not allowed!

I love it when "clients" start bashing company based on baseless accusations. I may be missing something, I have yet to see what hostgator has done wrong.
      0 Not allowed!

hostgator.com pm sent.
      0 Not allowed!

This is about the third time today I read about people bashing HostGator. This starts to be too bad to be true. heh, hope this clears up.
      0 Not allowed!

Porte: that is why I posted the thread. I wasn't going to do it.
    I didn't think it would matter. Note that I waited 2 weeks. But when I saw other frustrated with them, I said might as well. They really have to wake up and fix their problems. They have good reviews on this forum by many people and that is why I chose them. SO I don't know what happened to them. May be the overselling is burdening their staff.
      0 Not allowed!

Hopefully they work out a solution for you soon. The sweet thing is that their representative is registered here to answer questions, so you can always PM him too. I do not think they will ruin their reputation like that.
      0 Not allowed!

May I ask why you didn't register the domain yourself?
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!

anon-e-mouse I didn't know it was such a big deal at the time, and because I was assured by the sales staff that they deal with a renowned registrar.
      0 Not allowed!

I like how Brent try to resolve problems of his company's costumers in a 3rd party forum. This forum only gives a good impression about hostgator to me. Besides, I registered my domains in namecheap so I dont have to worry about the OP's problem
      0 Not allowed!

yabyab I read it all over the place after what happened to keep the domain name away from the hosting service. Even youtube has a video about the same subject.
      0 Not allowed!

I have edited the thread title to better reflect the problem. You really should have registered the domain when you saw it was available. I think the majority of people would do that.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!

You are alleviating Hostgator of their responsibility.
    You are obviously biased and fail to see their responsibility in this issue. I don't agree with the title that you put to the thread. Hostgator had 36 hours to act and they failed to do it.
    Who gave you the right to change the title to my thread?
      0 Not allowed!

You are alleviating Hostgator of their responsibility.
    You are obviously biased and fail to see their responsibility in this issue. I don't agree with the title that you put to the thread. Hostgator had 36 hours to act and they failed to do it.
    It is your responsibility to secure the domain name you want

Who gave you the right to change the title to my thread?
    They are the boss here so I guess that gives them the right

If will be interesting to see what Host Gator have to say about this once they have reviewed your ticket.

0 Not allowed!

I can see how HostGator can be tempting to blame here however the fact that they manually verify orders to prevent fraud doesn't make them responsible for the fact that your domain was registered before they could. It is unfortunate indeed and sad to hear but the title of the thread best reflects the main topic.
    Website Design and Marketing in France
    www.SagaNET.fr
      0 Not allowed!

If you checked your domain at Network Solutions, they have snatched up the domain to make sure that you order it with them at $34/year instead of going elsewhere and getting it much cheaper.

It's a well known and very un-ethical approach to keeping market share at higher prices... NetworkSolutions is the only registrar that I know of that has done this. I know it for a fact because I checked for a domain availability there myself, and then went to register it elsewhere and it said it was already registered.

I went back to NetSol and checked again and it still said available and to order it for $34... I said *FORGET THIS* and did a search, the domain is generally released in 4 days.... Although I read that ICANN just modified their rules to disallow "Domain Tasting" so you may be forced to register with Network Solutions if you really want the domain.

Your domain was locked the second you ran the check at NetworkSolutions and this is 110% not hostgator's fault or any of hostgator's employees.

Maybe you should get the facts straight, and do a little research before you begin bashing a web hosting company in a public forum. Run a WHOIS on the domain, if it has Network Solutions on it *ANYWHERE* in the WHOIS then you can be 100% sure that this is what has happened.

Edit: I just tested this, and rather than NetSol *automatically* locking the domain they now ask you if you want them to do it, probably in a sad attempt to save face... Either they did it to you automatically, or you accidentally hit ok on this message:
    http://www.mikedvb.com/images/misc/netsol.png
    Last edited by MikeDVB; 03-31-2008 at 02:12 AM.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast