What do you think about this concept ?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%241+...ient=firefox-a

"5GB space & 100GB transfer $1 per month" for example ...

I frankly do not understand what you are trying to say or discuss. How about giving us more information?

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%241+...ient=firefox-a

"5GB space & 100GB transfer $1 per month" for example ...

It kind of makes me disgusted but good luck on them trying to maintain a steady business.

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan View Post
    I frankly do not understand what you are trying to say or discuss. How about giving us more information?
    lets start with the question of "is this even possible"

I dont belive it is possible
    Surly they are running such cheap prices on such rubbish servers, it just gives hosting a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    lets start with the question of "is this even possible"
    Practically i think you have missed many discussions here while being busy in social issues forum. In simple sense its not possible.

I don't think so we need to provide much information on why its not possible. But if that keyword results with so many ads then it proves that there are still people looking into for it.

You don't market for nothing.

well yes thats the point.

apparently not only there are people looking for it, but there are a lot of hosts offering such schemes.

maybe its a bait and switch, getting clients in from $1 than pushing them to higher packages ?

Hasn't this topic been done to death? Yes, hosts massivly oversell. Yes, people will pay for it. Yes, its a [bad/good] idea.

End of discussion (I hope).

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Is it possible?
    I think there are two ways to answer this question.

1. If every user uses this amount, it probably isn't possible. Even though disk space prices are falling, if every person who signed up used that amount offered, the owner would have a hard time making money.

2. If most users didn't use more than, say, 10% or 25%, then yes, there is a market for that and it is possible. You'd need a lot of accounts to make money, but assuming not everyone uses 100% or more than 25%, it is possible.

Yup, that's overselling. Add another 1TB to each and another $3 and you've got your average hosting company now-a-days.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

Now there is no question this is overselling. And im not questioning technical possibility of it.

What im saying is, since there are so many doing it (even big boys) and as they are not decreasing in numbers but increasing, can it be a valid business model.

ie - possible as in being a viable business model.

Theoretically you can continue to increase the numbers at a steady pace and continue to keep/attract more customers. No matter how big you make the number, this is not going to make the customers that only use 500mb~1gig use more just because they can. They generally use what they need and the top end value of an overseller doesn't really matter.

When the top value does matter, the customer is often not on the server very long. Theoretically they could just say "unlimited disk space" as you will never hit their 1tb or 2tb or 5tb limit, much less "unlimited" but if they go to unlimited... how do you improve upon this?

I'll make a comparison to cars... You could buy a car that can do 150mph or a car that can do 220mph for the same price - if top speed was the only variable, it would make no difference what the top speed was because generally the speed limit is quite a bit under 150 and 220mph. There are special places such as race tracks and drag strips that you could possibly hit the limits, these would be the oversellers that actually have the capacity to completely give what they offer, where as with any other road you'd hit the speed limit well before you ever hit your car's top speed. Selling hosting by overselling is the same as selling a car based only upon top speed. This is not necessarily the best analogy but it works for me.

It's a marketing scheme and that is all.
    Last edited by MikeDVB; 03-30-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/