Thread: Parallels...

Parallels...

Seeing as Parallels have now purchased Modernbill, do we get the feeling that they are going to become the 'Microsoft of webhosting software'? I'm just beginning to see this as them trying to close out the competition leaving us with just their products to choose from once they have killed off the competition!

What does everyone else think and who do we think is next to become Parallels <Insert Product Name>?
    Toby H
    Infrastructure Consultant
    SolutionFire.co.uk
    cPanel | VMware | XenServer | cPanel | 3PAR | R1soft

As stated previously all the companies purchased were not doing too well at all. All had made major blunders in the past couple of years that put them in a fragile state.

Calling Parallels 'The Microsoft of the Hosting Industry' sounds scary, but I think it will actually help overall -- and not just Parallels. Microsoft needed to be big and domineering for open-source to really take off (FreeBSD, Linux, etc). I think that Parallels becoming such a force might just have the same effect on the hosting industry -- collaboration between hosts on open source control panels and the like, something that hasn't really taken place in the past -- no open source control panel is used on a large scale setup.

Just like now with Microsoft and Linux, some people will pay Parallels a whole lot of money while others will use free alternatives and require more "geekyness" on staff.

Of course the Microsoft/Parallels analogy is completely off-base as Parallels is simply doing good business, there is nothing anti-competitive going on. They are not saying to hosts that if you offer Parallels products you can only offer Parallels products or they will not do business with you.

So I guess my opinion would be that I'm excited to see what the future holds. I am a big Parallels supporter now, I may not be in a few years. I suppose it depends mostly on how the community reacts.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

I was quite suprised when I heard Parallels had bought Modernbill but on the whole I think this is good news, if it results in better integration with Control Panels and registrar modules.
    Paul Lee - Weycrest.Com Limited
    UK Shared, VPS, Reseller Hosting
    Nominet Member | Tucows Registrar | Enta Reseller | Parallels Partner

Personally, I do not care much at all on Parallels products but SiteBuilder, which in any case, I could always switch to RVSiteBuilder. We only use Parallels SiteBuilder, nothing else. So I don't believe it is becoming the Microsoft of the hosting business. At least not for me, or until we offer Windows web hosting and need to use plesk.

Interesting views, keep 'em coming! I just wanted to see what the general reaction was amonst everyone here, I don't actually agree with what I said about them becoming 'Microsoft of webhosting software,' its possible though. Also, I partly disagree that they are doing nothing anticompetitive, they have aquired and slowly killed off a few competing products now from what I have read over the last few days...
    Toby H
    SolutionFire.co.uk

Keeping clear of Parallels, prices are a joke just like Microsoft

Well, I don't think they could make Modernbill any worse than it already was. The only company they have bought that I cared about was Hsphere because it was a good product with a pricing scheme that actually worked for web hosts. They will blow that up soon though. Not really sure why they wanted MB though, the billing in Hsphere was more advanced.

Parallels acquisition of all the competition should not be taken lightly. There must have been a business strategy behind so much spending on necessary and unnecessary acquisitions. Common sense dictates we, the web hosts, are pushed to the corner. With no competition left what options do you have if Parallels makes demands you cannot fulfill?

I am happy to have find www.machsol.com which I am sure is going to be the real competitor for Parallels. I am now an avid admirer of this company since I feel only they are going to rescue the hacked community.

Parallels has a very very good arsenal of hosting software, keeping my fingers crossed that they will integrate them properly. A well integrated windows and linux controlpanel with a fantastic billing system etc would be make the work of a webmaster much easier.

To some extent its good, because hosts require more than just a "control panel." They also need billing and applications and VPS support (I believe a VPS module was being discussed for Modernbill prior to its acquisition) and all this needs to have an integrated look and feel. Maybe a single login for Plesk Billing, Sitebuilder and support/ticket system via Plesk Expand maybe.

I wonder what the future holds for Cpanel/WHM though and whether they will hold out? Parallels have stated continued support for alternative control panels.
    Paul Lee - Weycrest.Com Limited
    UK Shared, VPS, Reseller Hosting
    Nominet Member | Tucows Registrar | Enta Reseller | Parallels Partner

It would be to their advantage to continue developing for other control panels in addition to cPanel.
    Stephen Preissler
    Modern Advisors - A Certified Plesk Billing Reseller

We offer Plesk Billing Licenses, Configuration, Migrations, Consultation & Customization

The golden era of web hosting is not now. Its in the future, when almost everything will be "connected". Large and mid-sized hosting providers will appear. They will need "everything" to be automated. Parallels is in a good position to provide end to end solutions there, with a VM Platform, control panel, billing software, etc. I'm sure other players will emerge in this end-to-end game and then is when we can expect prices to fall.

It is dangerous to make such predictions in the IT industry Someone reading this post after 10 years may have a good laugh
    FluidVM :: Manage Xen PV, Xen HVM and OpenVZ
    Multi-Hypervisor, Extensible Virtualization Platform :: Website :: User Forums ::
    Simple Browser based UI-Simple User VPS Control Panel!

I agree with binarykarma, with regard to the future of the "control panel" industry in web hosting.

As things become more complex, the "average joe" will be looking for more and more automation. If parallels is able to offer a reliable control panel that is easy to use, works well, and has a reasonable price, then they will dominate the market.

However, I don't see any of those things happening from them.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    I agree with binarykarma, with regard to the future of the "control panel" industry in web hosting.

As things become more complex, the "average joe" will be looking for more and more automation. If parallels is able to offer a reliable control panel that is easy to use, works well, and has a reasonable price, then they will dominate the market.

However, I don't see any of those things happening from them.
    Wow. I actually agree with you on this!
    Toby H
    SolutionFire.co.uk