Questions about unmanaged VPSLink

I am planning on purchasing an unmanaged VPS partly because of the reduced cost and also to learn how to setup my own server. I have always used shared hosting in the past, so please pardon my novice questions:

If I get a VPSlink Link-1 account (64 MB dedicated RAM)
    1. I will first choose a Linux OS then be given some sort of method (SSH?) to connect to the terminal on my VPS, right?
    2. Is that OS/terminal already connected to the Internet? Anyone know what the Internet connection speed is like?
    3. Will my server be slow with 64 MB dedicated ram? What is dedicated RAM? How much of that RAM will an OS take up?
    4. Is it possible to setup a VNC remote desktop with that little ram?
    5. Should I choose OpenVZ or Zen for this package?

Do you guys know of any similar plans as VPSLink Link -1? I can pay up to $15/month, and I also need a VPS which will allow me to use an IRC client (no IRC server) (if I could get a semi-managed VPS for this price, that would be great too). Any VPSLink reviews? I'm especially interested in the connection speed and how much I can do with 64 MB dedicated RAM (obviously without any control panels), such as setting up Apache, domains, etc.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by firegash; 03-29-2008 at 04:24 PM.

1. I will first choose a Linux OS then be given some sort of method (SSH?) to connect to the terminal on my VPS, right?
    A: Yes SSH Root access

2. Is that OS/terminal already connected to the Internet? Anyone know what the Internet connection speed is like?
    A: Yes, otherwise you won't be able to SSH in. Connection speed you really need to drop them a presales enquiry

3. Will my server be slow with 64 MB dedicated ram? What is dedicated RAM? How much of that RAM will an OS take up?
    A: Dedicated RAM is the amount of RAM that you can use within your VPS. That is also known as Guaranteed RAM. Depending on your own setup, I have the following personal VPS:

[[email protected] /]# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 256 36 219 0 0 0
    -/+ buffers/cache: 36 219
    Swap: 0 0 0
    [[email protected] /]#
    It's running without any control panel, with one experimental Wordpress blog on it. Highly optimized and removed a lot of unused services. Yes, it's a CentOS 5 minimal installation with litespeed+mysql

4. Is it possible to setup a VNC remote desktop with that little ram?
    A: If you are using Linux, your best pal is SSH in with PuTTY.

5. Should I choose OpenVZ or Zen for this package?
    A: Xen I suppose? There are pros and cons of both OpenVZ and Xen. It is really entirely up to you.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

If you get a Linux VPS, you'll have ssh access - you can use a ssh client to login to the server and run commands via the command line interface. Once the VPS is provisioned, it's online on the Internet and you'll be able to access via ssh.

The performance of your VPS really depends on what you plan to do with it. Do you know what applications you'll run on it? As for the choice of Xen vs. OpenVZ, the VPSLink site provides pretty good information on the relative differences - see http://vpslink.com/compare/openvz-vs-xen-vps-hosting/ for details. The exact choice really depends on what you intend to do with the VPS. Also, you shouldn't have any problems running an IRC client (they've recently changed policies to allow IRC servers as well).

We've used VPSLink for a while, although on higher end accounts than the 64 MB one. Performance and availability has been good, no major problems. Support has been quick and professional as well.

Note, you can also upgrade at any time to more memory if you find that 64 MB is too little for what you want to do.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I anticipate using my VPS for learning purposes mainly. My goal is to setup something like a Wordpress blog as well. I will probably also leave an Irssi client on 24/7 (to ask questions on Freenode).

That said, what kind of OS would be suitable for my usage? Or, what OS would be optimal for 64 MB dedicated ram?

You mentioned a CentOS 5 minimal installation (you can specify what kind of installation you want?)?

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

VPSLink seems to be down?

Quote Originally Posted by firegash View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies!

I anticipate using my VPS for learning purposes mainly. My goal is to setup something like a Wordpress blog as well. I will probably also leave an Irssi client on 24/7 (to ask questions on Freenode).

That said, what kind of OS would be suitable for my usage? Or, what OS would be optimal for 64 MB dedicated ram?

You mentioned a CentOS 5 minimal installation (you can specify what kind of installation you want?)?

Thanks again for the helpful replies.
    That was the image in my HyperVM that I installed, the CentOS 5 around 300MB As you can see from the output I showed just now, having used RAM of around 30MB with Wordpress on it is pretty ideal, isn't it Anyway, it's just my experimental ground with around 10 visitors a day only.

In other words, yes, it is possible for you to play with it on your 64MB RAM VPS. Of course, if you have higher budget, it makes things a lot better with more RAM as I am sure you wouldn't like to see all the failcnts when you compile things.

Cheers.
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, M1 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

We use VPSLink for one of our offsite monitoring points to report when our central company servers/services are offline; all good experiences so far, smooth signup - relatively quick support response considering the price and most importantly, no downtime.

It's worth mentioning that routing between them and our servers is questionable (~20% packet loss) although they say it's not their fault - it's certainly not a problem at our end! Anyone had similar experiences?
    Orion Internet Services Ltd.
    Genuinely affordable UK-Based VPS and Website Hosting
    Tel: +44 (0) 845 8621431 -- Email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by firegash View Post
    Most Linux distributions should work fine in that level of memory, provided they're base installations that don't automatically include lots of extras. If you don't have a distribution preference already and are looking to experiment and learn, make sure you pick a VPS provider that let's you reimage the VPS on the fly from their control panel (VPSLink lets you do this). This way you can try out several distros and see which you prefer.

Question

Hello, there!
    I ordered VPS Link-1 today.
    I want to install any control panel now, but according to the documents first 3 plans do not support any control panel. I have checked each of them and everywhere infront of the plans 1,2 and 3 stays "NOT SUPPORTED".
    Is that correct?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alekss View Post
    Hello, there!
    I ordered VPS Link-1 today.
    I want to install any control panel now, but according to the documents first 3 plans do not support any control panel. I have checked each of them and everywhere infront of the plans 1,2 and 3 stays "NOT SUPPORTED".
    Is that correct?

Thank you!
    It will support a control panel such as LxAdmin (recommended) or Webmin. There may be some others as well, but those are the 2 bigger ones. If you want a control panel, check out LxAdmin. It has new features that makes it comparable, if not better than cPanel. It now has a cpanel layout and can be for the simple person who wants to host their own website, or a company that is hosting others. Check it out, they have improved a whole bunch! They are in the process right now in making a cPanel to LxAdmin Migration script! It will be THE BEST!!

Question

Thanks for reply.
    But it is just what is written on their website:

http://vpslink.com/whm-cpanel-vps/
    http://vpslink.com/servercp-vps/
    http://vpslink.com/directadmin-vps/
    http://vpslink.com/hostinabox-lxadmin-vps/

They all are not supported on the LInk-1 Link-2 and Link-3.
    Hostinabox/ xadmin is not supported on Link-1

That's why I was surprised

Quote Originally Posted by Alekss View Post
    Thanks for reply.
    But it is just what is written on their website:

http://vpslink.com/whm-cpanel-vps/
    http://vpslink.com/servercp-vps/
    http://vpslink.com/directadmin-vps/
    http://vpslink.com/hostinabox-lxadmin-vps/

They all are not supported on the LInk-1 Link-2 and Link-3.
    Hostinabox/ xadmin is not supported on Link-1

That's why I was surprised
    I think 64M is too less to install a control panel,you need at least 128M RAM to install LXADMIN or DirectAdmin.CPanel need 256M RAM minimal
    My Personal Sites:Oh !!!MIYU-GのDAYs
    http://www.1221.in
    MY LIFE IS COOL,SO IS MY VPS I WILL TELL YOU MORE ABOUT VPS

I have signed up too hastily. However on the banner they offer VPS for 6 USD + control panel licensing.