Directadmin Experiences

Hi all,

I've just tried to install DirectAdmin on a vanilla Debian 4.0 system

The install was simple enough once my license was activated by the nice folks @ directadmin.com

The program itself installed fine (the setup script ran without halting) - it compiles *everything* from source package though!

My HTTPd setup didn't work as standard so i've just installed all the debian packages, taken bits and pieces from the DA httpd.conf to make it all play nicely together. I could view web pages, but PHP etc was borked.

Similarly my MySQL setup didn't work properly with PHPMyAdmin (my.cnf only had one line in!) - luckily I had a working server I could copy the config from - again I ditched DA's source built version of 4.1 and installed 5 from the debian repository.

I'm plodding along nicely now, DA is a nice bit of kit at the front end - I just wish it wasn't so ugly at the back! Although I hear it's a common trait of these cpanel things.

I realise that it was probably 'meant to work' with CentOS, but a more thought out debian version could have used available packages and made the whole process a lot smoother.
    Orion Internet Services Ltd.
    Genuinely affordable UK-Based VPS and Website Hosting
    Tel: +44 (0) 845 8621431 -- Email: [email protected]

Hi Henri,

DA is a great product, you'll find their forum very handy. The times we have needed support (once) John was very quick and effecient.

Have fun with it,
    Chris
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, http://reseller.netearthone.com
    SSLReseller - WHMCS SSL module now released into BETA www.sslreseller.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!

I've had really good experiences with their support. In terms of it being a cpanel competitor though - it hardly has any server administration type tools? Or am I missing something? Is it intended primarily as a customer/reseller engine? For that it looks really really good

I personally believe that DirectAdmin is a great control panel. Price wise, it is superior, The only thing it is lacking, is the looks, but ill tell you what, I would much rather run it than cpanel any day, it uses alot less resources as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Henri Cook View Post
    DA is a nice bit of kit at the front end - I just wish it wasn't so ugly at the back!
    DirectAdmin has always worked very well for us, but we have most always been running it under CentOS. I'm not sure if I myself have ever tried it on Debian, but I know CPanel and most other control panels don't support Debian.

It's backend is actually pretty powerful, it is a lot easier to customize than CPanel if you know what you are doing, also there are alot of tutorials and a big community at their forums.

Perhaps i'm just unaware of its full potential as a new user then! I'll get to the reading, thanks very much

I like the looks, neat and tidy and uncluttered, last thing I would want is to look everywhere for a function of the controlpanel.

Hi all,

I've just tried to install DirectAdmin on a vanilla Debian 4.0 system

The install was simple enough once my license was activated by the nice folks @ directadmin.com

The program itself installed fine (the setup script ran without halting) - it compiles *everything* from source package though!

My HTTPd setup didn't work as standard so i've just installed all the debian packages, taken bits and pieces from the DA httpd.conf to make it all play nicely together. I could view web pages, but PHP etc was borked.

Similarly my MySQL setup didn't work properly with PHPMyAdmin (my.cnf only had one line in!) - luckily I had a working server I could copy the config from - again I ditched DA's source built version of 4.1 and installed 5 from the debian repository.

I'm plodding along nicely now, DA is a nice bit of kit at the front end - I just wish it wasn't so ugly at the back! Although I hear it's a common trait of these cpanel things.

I realise that it was probably 'meant to work' with CentOS, but a more thought out debian version could have used available packages and made the whole process a lot smoother.
    May you messed up something?

I use DirectAdmin ON Debian Etch on over 5 servers and I never had a problem as far as the software that comes with DA (apache, php, mysql etc.) goes. If the ones that comes with DA doesn't work, try using CustomBuild (but I think CustomBuild comes with DA now a days).

I dont know what you mean "ugly at the back" but the back end, at least IMO is very neat and I can actually read and edit the options.

And you are right, DA is more for Customer/Reseller to make simple things like email, mysql database, among others, its not to manage a server, and thats how it should be! Server management should be done via SSH, not a frontend control panel.

And another good thing about DirectAdmin is that it doesn't break when I upgrade, say apache or exim, unlike cPanel. We use DirectAdmin exclusively on all our servers.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

I mean ugly in the back in the sense that it's all source compiled packages on a package managed system; but Cpanel's the same

The configuration files are very clear I must say.

It's just a shame the install didn't work first time, maybe it's a one-off occurence and my new install experience will be less painless.

It's very unusual to see someone who thinks actual server administration should be done over SSH but I agree, you can use applications to manage your server but one day that application will crash and you'll be up the creek without a paddle!

May be ask one of the DA techs to install it for you if you got the license from them DA's website directly. They might be able to help you.

It's very unusual to see someone who thinks actual server administration should be done over SSH but I agree, you can use applications to manage your server but one day that application will crash and you'll be up the creek without a paddle!
    Crumbs, don't say that to our sysadmins.... I am a GUI person, I remember MSDOS, but my sysadmins do everything by prompt!!

chris
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, http://reseller.netearthone.com
    SSLReseller - WHMCS SSL module now released into BETA www.sslreseller.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!

All it consists of if ./setup.sh :-)

Quote Originally Posted by netearth View Post
    Crumbs, don't say that to our sysadmins.... I am a GUI person, I remember MSDOS, but my sysadmins do everything by prompt!!

chris
    I was agreeing :-) Prompt is the way to go! Maybe not the DOS prompt as that's completely gash. Powershell with Vista is an improvement at least but it's still nowhere near as flexible as a good ol' bash shell!

Even though I am a shell person, if you want to do something recursive or over multiple systems, I'd recommend powershell. But for normal day to day activities, its GUI for windows.