Question "WebHostingTalk News" Getting Worse?

I have been thinking this for a while but have not posted until now. I also know this has been discussed a few times before, but is it just me, or is the quality of the "news" under "WebHostingTalk News" getting worse? It looks like WHT is using other feeds in addition to theWHIR now though. I am not saying theWHIR is of the best quality either, but it did seem a bit better than a lot of the other "hosting news" sites out there.

In my opinion it is a bit misleading to call the section "WebHostingTalk News" when really its is nothing more than "Web Hosting Press Releases". None of the articles or article titles seem to be checked either. WHT could really make something out of this section by having a dedicated team member from iNET, with a background in journalism and writing, who does research and writes up interesting and useful news stories instead of just copying and pasting press releases with mistakes all over them.

The way it is setup right now, in my opinion, this whole "news" situation does not reflect well on WHT as it sends a message to me that WHT is simply trying to fill space on the pages and generate content for SEO purposes. I wouldn't mind so much if some thought and effort went into generating the content but it leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion when all that can be done is copy and pasting a press release with a ton of mistakes and maybe changing around the odd paragraph.

I just think this section is a bit of a joke right now and a wasted opportunity that could be so much more for WHT and the community

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Rochen View Post
    I have been thinking this for a while but have not posted until now. I also know this has been discussed a few times before, but is it just me, or is the quality of the "news" under "WebHostingTalk News" getting worse? It looks like WHT is using other feeds in addition to theWHIR now though. I am not saying theWHIR is of the best quality either, but it did seem a bit better than a lot of the other "hosting news" sites out there.

In my opinion it is a bit misleading to call the section "WebHostingTalk News" when really its is nothing more than "Web Hosting Press Releases". None of the articles or article titles seem to be checked either. WHT could really make something out of this section by having a dedicated team member from iNET, with a background in journalism and writing, who does research and writes up interesting and useful news stories instead of just copying and pasting press releases with mistakes all over them.

The way it is setup right now, in my opinion, this whole "news" situation does not reflect well on WHT as it sends a message to me that WHT is simply trying to fill space on the pages and generate content for SEO purposes. I wouldn't mind so much if some thought and effort went into generating the content but it leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion when all that can be done is copy and pasting a press release with a ton of mistakes and maybe changing around the odd paragraph.

I just think this section is a bit of a joke right now and a wasted opportunity that could be so much more for WHT and the community

- Chris
    News sells these days and if i am not wrong they would have thought on this much earlier, may be something is under progress.

I agree. Seeing news about the Hosting industry, its software and the technology advancements would actually be interesting. I am not even bothered reading the press releases from companies put on the WHT news section.

Worse? really, it's hard to get any worse than what is already in the industry announcements section.

I agree, the news, announcements, and all of that need to be fully moderated, and the mods need to start denying posts based solely on self promotion.

Stricter moderation needs to be kept in here. I mean, what's to keep me from posting a new thread every day saying "Linux Tech Networks announces Tom has just woken up"? Ridiculous? You bet, but JUST as ridiculous as the self promoting, uninformative, garbage that's in the "web hosting industry announcements" right now. Thats not NEWS, that's self promotion.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons