My ISP sold me dirty IP, should I demand a clean one?

I recently purchased a dedicated server from a company I found on these forums. I have been very happy with the company, but the 2 IP's I have with the server are blacklisted in many places. I have been systematically trying to clean the address, but am starting to think that it may be a losing battle.

My ISP has offered
    I have assigned to your account the following ip:

ip:216.144.227.125
    sm:255.255.255.240

You can bind Exim to a secondary IP using the steps below:

a. Login to the server as root using SSH and open the file /etc/exim.conf in
    your favorite Unix text editor.

b. Locate the section of the file that contains the following:

remote_smtp:
    driver = smtp

c. Replace this section with the following modified version:

remote_smtp:
    driver = smtp
    interface = 216.144.227.125

d. Restart Exim
    I don't know anything about this. Can someone please tell me if this is the best route. I don't want this to create any other issues for my email, like causing reverse DNS issues. If this will totally solve my problem, fine. If not, shouldn't I demand to have clean IP's assigned to my server, especially since the service is advertised as such?

Thanks for your advice,
    Dustin

PS, my IP's 72.11.145.112 72.11.145.113

I would suggest to request for a new whole set of IP address to save all the trouble caused by the previous owner.
    tanfwc

Absolutely put a request into your provider for a new set of IP's. They can pull the old IP's and do some tracing and find out where the block and eventually have them released.

How long have you had these IP's? I would double-check your entire system before getting new IP's to ensure there is no phishing attack processes running in the background that would cause you to have the new ones banned.

Good Luck

From your hostname by your IP I would say that you deserve the blacklist.

IP Location: United States New York Oc3 Networks & Web Solutions Llc
    Resolve Host: s112.managermkt.com
    IP Address: 72.11.145.112
    Blacklist Status: Clear

The account is about 1 month old. My server has been locked down by admingeekz. I'm fairly certain there is no phishing, etc.

I'm not really how you could say that I deserve a blacklist. I only send emails for 4 reasons:
    1. when a new customer establishes an account
    2. when a customer places an order
    3. order status update, like shipped
    4. when the customer asks a question

I have a certain hatred for unsolicited advertising of all sorts. Even billboards piss me off. I'm not a spammer...

Dustin

by the way, that hostname is not me, the name is divinelighting.com
    My isp has supposedly changed the rdns settings a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how long it takes for everything to be updated.

when you say your server is locked, do you have access to your server??

sorry, I didn't mean locked in that sense. Security hardened, firewall, port setting, etc. I'm not a pro at this, that is why I would like your opinion.

Thanks,
    Dustin

I definitely ask for a new set of IP's. Is the provider being helpful??

I'm really not sure if they are being helpful in this instance. They are very responsive, which has really impressed me. However, they gave me the response shown in my first post. I'm really not sure how difficult it is to swap IP's vs. their solution, or if this is a common fix for this problem. It looks like the general consensus is that I should request new IP's.

If they give me new IP's, what will I be responsible for? I'm running Centos and DirectAdmin, will I have to make any changes to my server configuration?

Thanks again,
    Dustin

At most, you'd have to change a few small things, such as listening IPs and such, afaik

Asking nicely rather than demanding often works wonders :p

Quote Originally Posted by divine_lighting View Post
    I'm really not sure if they are being helpful in this instance. They are very responsive, which has really impressed me. However, they gave me the response shown in my first post. I'm really not sure how difficult it is to swap IP's vs. their solution, or if this is a common fix for this problem. It looks like the general consensus is that I should request new IP's.

If they give me new IP's, what will I be responsible for? I'm running Centos and DirectAdmin, will I have to make any changes to my server configuration?

Thanks again,
    Dustin
    You will have to change your IP in DirectAdmin.

Make sure you do the following.
    http://www.directadmin.com/change_ip.txt

As for the licensing, I'm sure your provider will register the DirectAdmin license IP before handing over the new IP to you.
    tanfwc