A few mobos, but no onboard video in 1U

We came across a few newer motherboards for a real good price, however they do not have onboard video or a NIC that would be recognized by the linux kernel.

We want to use 1U due to space costs and we have a riser card, but we need both a video card and a network card with these motherboards.

I was looking as found that you can buy an external IOGear video card (usb), but it states mostly it's used as a secondary display so I'm not quite sure if that would work as the primary.

I'm just curious, has anyone ever run into this before and what would you do?

If you use a real server motherboard, it should have built-in video and ethernet. I've yet to see one that doesn't. Look at some server boards from Supermicro and Tyan.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    If you use a real server motherboard, it should have built-in video and ethernet. I've yet to see one that doesn't. Look at some server boards from Supermicro and Tyan.
    He said it has onboard video and NIC but Linux does not recognize it.

So I am still a little stunned on what onboard video and NIC cannot be seen by most Linux OS's at this point.

Who is the motherboard from and what distribution of Linux are you using?

It is a high-end desktop board, not a server board. It's socket 775, it looks like it will work just fine in 1U except for the fact that it is without a video card. We all ready have these motherboards. From my experience, I haven't noticed any difference in performance between high-end desktop and a server board for 775.

It does not have onboard video, and it has a NIC but it isn't recognized by the linux kernel.

we got them for over half off, that is why we are trying to work with these, we aren't looking for other motherboard suggestions.

what is the NIC?

You don't really need a video card... just install it, configure it, pull the card out, and rack it.

the nic is a Realtek RTL8110SC, its 10/100/1000, but realtek doesn't have very good built-in linux support.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    the nic is a Realtek RTL8110SC, its 10/100/1000, but realtek doesn't have very good built-in linux support.
    Sounds like a workstation-class board.

Buy a real server board; you'll be much better off in the long run.

8. Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    for realtek 8110x Gb NIC, use this driver disk image ("linux dd" install method) for CentOS 5.1 installation:
    http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/...x86_64.img.zip

does it have an PCI-Express 16x slot? if yes, you may to want to try 1U PCI-E riser card so that you can install a low-end PCI-E video card.
    http://www.acmemicro.com/estore/merc...tid=356&step=4

frankly, with the added cost of PCI-E riser + PCI-E video card, it prolly will end up costing you more than having a desktop board with integrated video to begin with....

It's pretty trivial to build and load the r1000 driver...

http://netthink.com/archives/categor...x/linux-kernel

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    for realtek 8110x Gb NIC, use this driver disk image ("linux dd" install method) for CentOS 5.1 installation:
    http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/...x86_64.img.zip

does it have an PCI-Express 16x slot? if yes, you may to want to try 1U PCI-E riser card so that you can install a low-end PCI-E video card.
    http://www.acmemicro.com/estore/merc...tid=356&step=4

frankly, with the added cost of PCI-E riser + PCI-E video card, it prolly will end up costing you more than having a desktop board with integrated video to begin with....
    Hey,

Thanks for that, that will come very handy, but the link didn't turn out correctly, could you repaste it for me by chance?

Add the driver to your installation image to avoid headaches for multiple installs. That driver should do the trick.

Also, for video, you could look at a usb solution, this way you avoid the added cost of a pci video card per system, and only plugin the usb solution when you need to console it.

Just an idea!

Hey,

Thanks for that, that will come very handy, but the link didn't turn out correctly, could you repaste it for me by chance?
    Look here: CentOS wiki page

Quote Originally Posted by Jdubz31 View Post
    Add the driver to your installation image to avoid headaches for multiple installs. That driver should do the trick.

Also, for video, you could look at a usb solution, this way you avoid the added cost of a pci video card per system, and only plugin the usb solution when you need to console it.

Just an idea!
    Hello,

thanks for the link, I was interested in the IOGear external VGA (usb), I sent them an email off to see if it would work as the primary display.

I'll let you know what they reply once I hear back. If you know of any other USB solutions, please feel free to share.