Running a small web hosting company

Hello,

I am new to the web hosting industry, and I'm wondering how I would go legal when it comes to running a small business.

How exactly do you legally license your web hosting company? I would like to do it legally. I noticed a lot of web hosting companies are LLC's. How would you go about making your company an LLC?

I have also noticed that a lot of web hosting companies are not legally licensed, etc.

I live in Canada.

Thanks!

You really need to look into the laws in your locality. An LLC license is not required but you may have to register with your province/country for taxes and you may have to register your business name.

The LLC is simply a way to incorporate a business (to make it a separate entity from the owner) which has the side effect of protecting the owner and members from litigation in most cases.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Maker177 View Post
    Hello,

I am new to the web hosting industry, and I'm wondering how I would go legal when it comes to running a small business.

How exactly do you legally license your web hosting company? I would like to do it legally. I noticed a lot of web hosting companies are LLC's. How would you go about making your company an LLC?

I have also noticed that a lot of web hosting companies are not legally licensed, etc.

I live in Canada.

Thanks!
    If you're going to be a successful business owner you should really not ask such questions and perform your own due-diligence. Something as basic as the question you are asking should be easy to find an answer to with your favorite search engine or a call to a local lawyer/solicitor.

Regards,

Well,

Choosing or not to become a LLC is basically up to yourself. Depending the law of your locality different laws may apply. But just to help you a little. LLC basically separate you from your companies which prevents you from legal liability if you are doing anything that is legal. But it is up to you to become a LLC or not.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorhost View Post
    Well,

Choosing or not to become a LLC is basically up to yourself. Depending the law of your locality different laws may apply. But just to help you a little. LLC basically separate you from your companies which prevents you from legal liability if you are doing anything that is legal. But it is up to you to become a LLC or not.
    It should be noted that if you are guilty of gross negligence or the direct cause of any damages you could still be sued. Being Incorporated/LLC is not a bulletproof protection against litigation but it's better than nothing.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Depends on your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker177 View Post
    Hello,

I live in Canada.

Thanks!
    Register with your province as a business (sole proprietor is easiest to start). If you are in Ontario, you'll want to google for ServiceOntario.

Sole Proprietor is $60 if done online. Once you are registered, getting a GST number is free (if you choose to do so).

Once you are a business, the bank will accept your Master Business License to open a business banking account.