Multi-homed - where should I get the IPs?

I have an ignorant question, as I've never had to do this by dealing with providers directly.

We have a need in one of our locations to multi-home ourselves, as the facilities provider doesn't meet our needs. If we get a /24 from one of our upstreams (L3 for example), will they allow us to broadcast it to our other providers as well? Obviously we'll have our own ASN and be doing the routing.

usually: no, they don't.

Your LIR (provider) might me able to request a PI assignment for you or you might get RIR (Arin?) member yourself.

If you are multi-homed, you can get IPs from ARIN with very little hassle.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

That's what I figured. Yes, the RIR is ARIN. We don't have a high usage requirement, so I'm not sure if we'd be able to go direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    If you are multi-homed, you can get IPs from ARIN with very little hassle.
    Isn't the minimum a /22? We wouldn't be able to justify that much usage. This is just a situation where being multi-homed is critical, there won't be that much equipment.

ARIN will refer you back to your providers if your requirements are under /22.

Your providers SHOULD allow you to announce their IP space for multi-homing purposes. If one won't, ask the other.

If neither will, find new providers
    Anthony M. Faoro II - tmf [at] adtaq.com - (425) 444-8787 ex 7000
    Seattle Colocation @ Adtaq Internet | Seattle, WA | Be Happy!
    AIM TonyAdtaq | GTalk tmf [at] adtaq.com

Isn't the minimum a /22? We wouldn't be able to justify that much usage. This is just a situation where being multi-homed is critical, there won't be that much equipment.
    You might qualify for a microallocation and I believe you can get a /24 with that.

You only need a /23 worth of usage to get a /22. And it's not that hard to come up with justification for 600 IPs. IP based hosting, running a single service per IP, etc.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

In no particular order ...

1) From my perch at ARIN, talking to hundreds of operators every year, you can get an AS number from ARIN for the multi-homed location, grab a /24 from one of the providers, originate a route announcement of the /24 from the AS number, and send it to all your peers. It should work fine. I encounter countless operators who are in this configuration today, and have built (in some cases) large networks doing just this.

2) Micro-allocations of /24s are only available to root zone server operators, TLD operators, public exchange point peering fabrics, and the like.

3) The OP's handle is "voipcarrier", so I'll assume you provide transit for VOIP packets (or something similar). This likely makes you an ISP in ARIN policy language, so as Jay said above, if you use a /23 equivalent of space in your network (and you're willing and able to renumber!) you can petition us for a /22 under the Multi-homed Policy:

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four222

As always, the ARIN staff will be glad to answer any questions you have. You can e-mail us at [email protected] anytime, and we'll do our best to assist.

All the best,
    David

ARIN is always a pleasure to deal with. Thanks for commenting here David.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by avythe View Post
    You might qualify for a microallocation and I believe you can get a /24 with that.
    Unlikely. micro-allocations are for exchange points and critical infrastructure (root name servers, etc.) You can see a list of micro-allocations here: http://www.arin.net/reference/micro_allocations.html Notice how there are less than 100 of them total.
    System administration, application development, and project management.
    http://erek.blumenthals.com/blog/