Are external DNS and add-on domains compatible on CPanel hosts?

Can I use external DNS, e.g. godaddy's, and point to add-on domains at hosts that run with CPanel?

Hi!
    Yes, you can do it without any problem.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Yes, there is no problem with doing this, but remember that if you create a subdomain for such domain you first have to create it in your DNS aswell before it will work.

If you want to host your email on another server as well you will need to change more though.

CPanel is confusing

Thanks for the reassurance.

I was concerned by the text in the CPanel Add-on Domains page that says:

"Addon Domains will not be functional unless the domain name is registered with a valid registrar and configured to point to our DNS servers."

It suggests to me that the nameservers should be those of the webhost, not external ones.

I use external dns with addons with no problems.

but a webhost might require use of their nameservers during addon creation (for security reasons).

obscure issue: if you use external email with your addon domain, people sending email to that domain from the same server might have a problem. for example, using microsoft's free email with your addon domain ( http://domains.live.com ).
    Last edited by CD Burnt; 03-28-2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt View Post

but a webhost might require use of their nameservers during addon creation (for security reasons).
    Thanks.

I'm just trying with a new host and finding Fantastico is not loading - I wonder if that is because it's trying to connect with an IP rather than domain name. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt View Post

That seems to be the case with Hostgator.

Can they be moved away afterwards?

Just need to insure you go to WHM / Tweak Settings / Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers...... and check that box.

As others stated make sure you add the record to your NameServers first and have fun
    Barak Hosting
    http://barakhosting.com
    Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting - Lunatic Support is what sets us apart

Quote Originally Posted by marcbarak View Post
    Just need to insure you go to WHM / Tweak Settings / Allow Creation of Parked/Addon Domains that resolve to other servers...... and check that box.

As others stated make sure you add the record to your NameServers first and have fun
    I don't have access to WHM as I am trying to use shared hosting with addon domains to avoid having a reseller account (since all the domains to be hosted are mine there isn't a security/privacy issue).

If your hosting provider allows you to host a certain number of domains "in one" then they will have this setting already the way u need it.

Based on the plan you have with them (Ex: Host 6 in 1) the plan u r on will limit you to a certain number but will work the way u need it

Again, you MUST enter the add-on domains into a Name Server record so as to point them to your Shared IP address

Your host may have other requirements - ask them for help
    Barak Hosting
    http://barakhosting.com
    Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting - Lunatic Support is what sets us apart